Ethical ?

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Blows me away certain companies call their rifles “ 1000 yards out of the box”
Just seems like they’re presenting these guns to new long range hunters and they believe they can just go shoot 1000 yds at an animal, where’s the ethics in that ? Just feel like they’re putting the wrong idea in people’s head. How do u feel ? Do you think states will start regulating these new weapons which have become part of the downfall of trophy animals . Just curious to see how everyone feels about the long range game period .

I see what you’re saying, but guess I look at it like everything else. A running shoe advertised for ultra marathons means it can stand up to that test ... but I know I’m not ready for that. I look at those rifles the same way. The product is capable, but it’s up to the individual to learn to take it there.

As for ethics of hunting ... I agree with the sticky post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
3pointer

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Mtmuley, trying to find the thread , do know the title ?

mtmuley

WKR
It's in the sticky threads when you are on the Long Range forum. What you posted has been beat to death. Here, and other places. mtmuley

OP
3pointer

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Is it a problem I brought it back up ? I never saw it ,

mt100gr.

WKR
I'll leave ethics out and say that like many things in hunting and life in 2019, technology is very much outpacing regulation.

I do not know how it could be regulated or controlled but I do think regulations will change with the current boom in "long range hunting".

I truly hope things remain as they are but time will tell. One thought I have had is that optics will be the limiting factor. Random checks for adjustable turrets and even ballistic apps/calculators, shooting/spotting gear will be conducted just like checks for shotgun plugs and electronic archery equipment (in MT).

There are plenty of animals wounded inside of 50 yards due to hunters not taking responsibility on all fronts. There will be unethical slobs regardless. People who do it right, do it right. Some dont.

204guy

WKR
OTC unit info thread.... check

Long range ethics thread... check

BHA/Meateater thread... for the trifecta.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I don’t think he is calling 1000 yard shots unethical, more that a mfg claims it right out of the box when we all know while it takes good equipment you need More skills then just pulling it out of the box. I think the OP is taking the claim to serious.

So his question is, is it ethical for a mfg to state this in their marketing? In my view it is marketing, no more then anything else, is it capable, probably.

What company is claiming this in a factory rifle?

OP
3pointer

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have a problem with long range hunting at all , just the advertising making it seem so easy , I had to practice for years even with the best equipment still won’t shoot past 700, could go on for days , agreed should have never posted this

Always kind of figured that “long range” gear would be targeted once the people in DC figure out the real threat is not assault rifles but somebody with the capability to put steel on target from way out there.

Of course the question is how that could be accomplished if at all. My interest was peaked by your comment about certain products being banned in the field.

Companies/Manufacturers realize that long range hunting/shooting is the hot ticket right now and they are using that in their advertising. But that’s all it is, advertising.... advertising only works on the ignorant and this industry is no different. You see it in optics, packs, clothing, food, you see it every day and everywhere for everything. But it worked, because it got your attention and while you may not buy it, someone you tell about it might ;)

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure it is unethical to market as such. I'm not a big gunwerks follower but I think they advocate for practicing and proving your capabilities plenty. Their schtick is good equipment and a system that makes for quick ranging/dialing, that doesn't mean you shouldn't validate your system.

People who think they can buy a CDS dial or range finder with ballistic app without validating are becoming more and more common, there are frequent cringe worthy posts proving it. To me it's the same as someone slapping on a sight tape and thinking they are good to fling arrows at 85 yards, or screw in a broadhead the day before season, or..

tdhanses

WKR
Always kind of figured that “long range” gear would be targeted once the people in DC figure out the real threat is not assault rifles but somebody with the capability to put steel on target from way out there.

Of course the question is how that could be accomplished if at all. My interest was peaked by your comment about certain products being banned in the field.

Shhhh..... DC will never put it together if we don’t spell it out for them to misinterpret.

tdhanses

WKR
I'm not sure it is unethical to market as such. I'm not a big gunwerks follower but I think they advocate for practicing and proving your capabilities plenty. Their schtick is good equipment and a system that makes for quick ranging/dialing, that doesn't mean you shouldn't validate your system.

People who think they can buy a CDS dial or range finder with ballistic app without validating are becoming more and more common, there are frequent cringe worthy posts proving it. To me it's the same as someone slapping on a sight tape and thinking they are good to fling arrows at 85 yards, or screw in a broadhead the day before season, or..

Completely agree, no app will have you exact trajectory and will need verification and tweaking. That’s 60% of the fun doing this anyway. Have to get out there and shoot and verify your drops.

204guy

WKR
3pointer Just ribbing you. You're new here and managed to start 2 threads on 2 of the more controversial issues.

To the topic at hand. I kind of agree with your premise but I can't get onboard with regulating how a company advertises. It's not like they're making a false claim, the equipment is capable, the shooter is an entirely different matter. I do find the long range "systems" quite amusing, and wonder who would fall for such advertising. But your question could be extended to any manufacturer that advertises. Should Ford be able to advertise a truck with a 25,000lb towing capacity when the vast majority of drivers couldn't handle towing that, etc.