Ethics regarding spot "sleuthing" - what's your take?

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
The posts on U tube, photos, a slip of the tongue over a beer, etc. are all versions of bragging. It is almost universal among hunters that they want to thump their chest when they are successful. It is a weakness that leads to other people figuring out their spot and methods and cutting in front of them to get the animal first. If you don,t want people in your spots, stop bragging. If you must display your success expect other people to take advantage and share your spot

Troutnut

FNG
I've had a lot of fun spot sleuthing, because it's a puzzle to solve, but I've never actually hunted or given away a spot I sleuthed out. That's not to say I would never do it, depending on the situation. But a spot that produced for somebody else isn't necessarily going to have a big buck or bull or ram sitting there waiting for me if I show up. After all, they just shot it.

However, when first learning to hunt a new species, I have found it really useful to study some specific spots where people have had success, try to understand what features made them good, and then roll that knowledge into my search for my own spots that fit my hunting style, unit, etc.

3forks

WKR
Think about how many guys post on here asking for advice on where to go in a unit, but then state they “don’t want your honey hole.”

Guaranteed those guys would hunt anyplace they could figure out from what someone inadvertently posted online.

Over the years, there’s been deaths that occurred when a bear attacked hunters while they were quartering an elk. The incident reports give the exact location. I always wonder how many people have hunted that same area after reading about the incident.

OP
J
Think about how many guys post on here asking for advice on where to go in a unit, but then state they “don’t want your honey hole.”

Guaranteed those guys would hunt anyplace they could figure out from what someone inadvertently posted online.

Over the years, there’s been deaths that occurred when a bear attacked hunters while they were quartering an elk. The incident reports give the exact location. I always wonder how many people have hunted that same area after reading about the incident.
You might be onto something 😂😂😂

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
In my trophy duck hunting day's, I would use birdwatchers to target exotics. Exotics were the birds that had flew over from Asia to the West Coast during duck season.
I use hiking rating websites and see what wildlife people are seeing. Been helpful for bear hunting locally! Also to answer the OP I would check it out, but normally I use you tubers content to help teach my self where I should be looking for animals or strategy to get on them.

PhotoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a cow elk and gave the coordinates to my brother over the radio. Two hours later, a guy walks right to us across a big meadow. Lesson learned!

Rich M

WKR
Ultimately, folks are lazy and have no problem taking what they can from who they can. Then they pat themselves on the back and tell you how good of a hunter they are.

I lost a spot by posting a view from the stand picture years back. Found two sets of bright eyes leading almost to the very tree I was in. Not exactly a spot most guys would have found without help. Incredible.

I think the you tubers and such make a game out of it. They give a few clues here and there to keep you coming back. The more views, the more $ in their pockets. It's their job and they gotta keep you coming back for more.

I've been thinking of starting a website called 'Spotburner' or something like that. Purposely burn spots, post maps and yada yada of all the YouTube personalities and anyone else. Not to be a dick, but just to deter people from getting loose with the pics and lips.

Netherman

WKR
If I recognized the spot I wouldn't have a problem hunting it. For me the ethical concern comes in the CSI part of this. Googleing the image, looking for GPS tagging, ect. Like an earlier poster I like looking for terrain features (feed, cover, ect) to replicate.

A similar situation is looking thru someone else's trail camera. While not physical theft I believe you'd be stealing their intel which still isn't right. Can't say I didn't think about it though...

WCB

WKR
I may or may not have over heard a conversation or caught a glance at a guy showing his OnX location in a Cafe in MT this year while Elk hunting. Guy made it pretty hard to ignore. Loose lips sink ships.

Not saying I go out of my way to do stuff like that but when it is pretty much right in your face I might check it out. I had some locals and even other out of state hunters this year in MT and WY pull out there ONX and show me spots to try and a couple were damn good information. Most were spots I had already put a day or two into and just didn't produce. Not really sure what the difference is between that and happening to stumble on some information.

TheTone

WKR
If it’s a “pro hunter” (you tuber instagrammed etc) I wouldn’t have a problem at all hunting it. I had instagrammer that thinks you need to be really fit for whitetails block me after I DM’d him to ask him to share a little less scenery as The spots he was showing were extremely easy to know. He chose to block me instead of respond

I’ve had enough people try to find spots I hunt that I wouldn’t try to steal one from another joe public guy

Fitzwho

WKR
As a non-resident in all western states. I have never recognized any particular spot on a hunting show/video. Unless I have hunted that exact spot in the past or they actually say where they are. Usually very specific hunts (i.e. NM Ibex, OIL type hunts, etc.). I don't have time to sit around and determine exactly where they are hunting. I do try and pay attention to the general terrain, forage, etc, of where they end up finding deer.

I thought about this after watching a video on YouTube - the people in question went way out of the way to completely blur the trailhead but then in the middle of the video there's a pretty damning landscape shot that completely gives away the location to anyone with google earth and 2 minutes of time... much less time if you've actually been to said location.
I seen that the other day on YouTube also. Made me chuckle a bit

3forks

WKR
You might be onto something 😂😂😂
Spots like this are in areas with very high densities of bears. So, if you believe in karma, hunting a spot found like this seems like a particularly convenient way for the universe to even things out.

Last edited:
For me it’s more the chase, can I figure it out and exciting if I can. I don’t feel right when I find that exact spot and get thoughts if hunting it. What I will do is e scout the area and find a neighboring valley or ridge/peak then work a plan to hunt that area. I have “secret” spots of my own that I pass out to a few close buddies. Some of the spots deter people by the effort to get there and the skull involved to make a kill. Sometimes it’s almost like the next guy deserves it if he put the effort in…just keep his mouth shut haha.

Now if I E scout an area or hike into an area in my own, then find out some other guys hunt that spot too. That’s fair game, I found the spot by myself and can hunt it when I want, just like they did.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
If you recognize the spot, it kind of sounds like you are already aware of it. If i'm aware of a spot, I'm not going to avoid it just because I see someone else have success there and it may be considered "cheating". I may avoid it because of the crowds that show up?

I'm not into searching out someone's secret spot, but I'm all for gaining information when I see it. I share advice with friends all the time, and occasionally a stranger will mention something. It doesn't bother me at all. If I'm planning a trip to an entirely new area, I'll take any info I can to get me started in the right direction.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
There is no reasonable expectation of privacy on social media, so no, I would have no problem using public information to my advantage. If they wanted it to be private they should have resisted the urge to engage in self promotion.