Ethics vs Excitement

I’ll preface with this. I wouldn’t presume what range or shooting scenario is appropriate for another hunter. I just know bad shooting when I see (or hear) it.

It’d be interesting to hear your take on a couple of things I witnessed last year.

1- I spotted a small group of elk just after first light and ranged them at around 600 yds. That’s too far for me, especially with the rifle I was carrying. It’s also a little beyond what I’ll try with any rifle I own. I made a quick plan and started a stalk when a rifle fired. The elk reacted and started to run. The rifle fired again, then a 3rd time. They were firing at the back end of the elk as they fled in a relatively tight group. The elk ran uphill into the trees and I didn’t see one go down. I located two hunters and estimated that they were probably even farther away than I was but from a different angle. I sat down and watched through my binocular as the two hiked up and kicked around the area where the elk were for about 15 minutes. Apparently they didn’t find blood as they turned and headed back, in the opposite direction of where the elk ran. I went up and also found no blood. I can only speculate on what happened and have my own theory.

2- I was at my truck getting some food to head back out for a few days when a UTV went flying by and up a rough 4x4 road that ends at a closed gate near a meadow. There were 3-4 hunters in the UTV. My memory of the exact details on timing and number of shots is imperfect. I believe it was 15-20 minutes later the shots started ringing. I bet they shot at least a dozen times. Another 15-20 minutes later the same group came back down and passed my truck. One of them looked over at me and sort of shrugged in the “what are ya gonna do” fashion. I ended up staying in the truck that night. They never went back up. again, I have a theory.

What do you think (given what I said) happened in both instances?

I think some people get so excited about filling a tag, and loath the idea of going home empty handed so much, that the importance of making high confidence shots can be forgotten.

Last edited:
OP
Wyobohunter
Steelhead and salmon runs will bring out the dumb in people also
I’ve stopped near the Russian River, not to fish but to watch the combat fishing antics that go on there. When I lived in Ninilchik I could have gone and dropped a subsistence dip net right in front of all of them. I decided against it. Probably wouldn’t get outta there alive.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
A friend of mine made a statement one day that is so true....there's 2 things that will make people do things they normally wouldn't, money and elk.
Money and hunting in general. Both bring out some interesting traits in folks. Some really great people completely change instantly.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
So the fools missed the standing elk at a considerable distance and to prove the were fools they kept shooting. the best they could have hoped for was a wounded animal. I hope their assholes grow shut.

Last edited:
From my experience I think some people do such things as soon as they notice you are closer, in an conscious effort to keep you from filling your tag. It's stopped me from connecting with specific animals, but I have been fortunate to have filled my tag later in the hunts.

Rich M

WKR
@Bubblehide hit the nail.

It's all about competition instead of sitting back and watching the show unfold in front of you. He got here first but I'm gonna shoot over him anyway - I might get one, but at least he won't. People can be real asshats like that.

Btaylor

WKR
@Bubblehide hit the nail.

It's all about competition instead of sitting back and watching the show unfold in front of you. He got here first but I'm gonna shoot over him anyway - I might get one, but at least he won't. People can be real asshats like that.
If they would just ban rifle hunting and stick to archery these type things wouldnt happen. :p

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thought of missing your chance at an animal feels pretty bad until you have the reality of having a bad hit on an animal. That is the worst feeling.
I've fallen into this trap before. Hopefully I've learned enough from that experience to avoid this pitfall moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In 2010 during archery season I was camped real close to a wilderness boundary. One day I started hearing gun shots inside that boundary maybe 3/4's to a mile away........lots of gun shots. That went on for two days.......1000's of rounds. I have no idea what was going on, except target shooting.......maybe. But the bigger question I've always had was "how on earth did they get that much ammo that far into the wilderness area".......and "why there"? I really wanted to check them out, but with that much shooting going on I didn't dare go anywhere near it. On day 2, I packed up camp and left.

I have no idea how excited they were, but the ethics of blowing out an area during archery season is pretty obvious. I always wondered if it was anti's doing exactly that.......blowing out the area.