Ethics vs Excitement

OP
Wyobohunter
Maybe. Or maybe it's from some fallout of an exchange in a previous thread where one person didn't have the sense to keep their mouth shut and instead puked all over the thread with a comment of complete nonsense that had nothing to do with it...
Which makes even weirder in my opinion.

OP
Wyobohunter
I have another goto for all things Wyoming. Those are big shoes to fill but maybe after you live there for a few years.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
For most of my life doesn’t qualify as more than a few years? Moved here in 1979. I’ve lived elsewhere off & on, but mostly in WY.

A long time ago my partner told me that it was in your best interest not to take pictures or tell anyone of your success. If you kill something, you are a game hog and worthy of all forms of misery.

If you never kill anything, you are just a lowly piss poor hunter not worthy of even disdain. I rarely take a picture any more. Sorry folks! Just not worthy of your disdain.

What one guys ethics are to him might be completely different to another. Lots of cool posts of archery kills. I don't know if you young whipper snappers are familiar with Chuck Adams. In his day he was a mule deer archery killing machine . He also would unapologetically shoot a deer up the hind end (Texas heart shot) and not think twice about it. I have also read stories of some crazy shots Howard Hill and Fred Bear would take. Some would be me be considered "cringe worthy " by today's standards

As frustrating as both these examples are, they are common and we all know it. The members on this forum are the exception, not the rule. Most times I see this kind of behavior, it's one of two groups of people. Locals who grew up "round here" and who think they own those animals, and newbie hunters that are being "guided" by locals and who will probably never come back after that hunt. The pressure on a good 'ol boy to show their buddies a good time is enough to make them do things like that.

I don't know anyone who would spend most of their year preparing, carefully selecting gear, practicing on the range, spending days/week on their fitness, etc. who would do either of those things. So basically it's a case of lazy people being lazy hunters. Unless we have a cure for lazy, this will always continue.

KHNC

WKR
your turn KHNC….
Why? I have a house full of mounts, from B&C archery killed whitetail , B&C archery Black Bear, lion, Auodad Lots of P&Y Whitetail and muleys and ive killed 5 archery bulls as a lowly NR. I posted one pic and i refuse to get into the BS with him. He is not worth the trouble. He's definitely killed tons more elk than me, but if i lived in the west my entire life i have no doubt i would have a bunch of elk as well. Have to kill what you have access to. NC has some of the best bear hunting anywhere, and we dont hate it when NR's come here to kill them. Im sure buzz thinks eastern whitetail are simple to kill and require no skill or physical conditioning as well. But like i said, he is not worth the trouble. I will be out in Wyoming or New Mexico this fall, depending on the draw. Hopefully i still have a few more elk hunts in my life time. And every single pic i take will have my bow or gun in it, whether buzz likes it or not.

KHNC

WKR
Sounds like we need fo add bowhunters to the list of things that follow:

Q: How do you tell someone is a _____

A: dont worry, they will tell you…

Although we could modify that to say,

Q: how do you know someone is a bowhunter?

A: they will show a picture of a down animal with their bow in it.
Correct.
How do we tell someone is from Texas?

OP
Wyobohunter
Most times I see this kind of behavior, it's one of two groups of people. Locals who grew up "round here" and who think they own those animals, and newbie hunters that are being "guided" by locals and who will probably never come back after that hunt.
This could have been the case with the first example. I have no way to know. I intentionally withheld the fact that the UTV had a license plate because I didn’t want to make this a R vs NR thing. There are idiots from every state and the fact that these people were from XXXX was not the cause of their behavior. Maybe they are the “we paid a lot of money for this hunt so we’re owed” type of NR. Not all NR’s see it that way. Some understand that they paid that money for the chance, no guarantee of success and the cost doesn’t change their behavior.

Last edited:
This could have been the case with the first example. I have no way to know. I intentionally withheld the fact that the UTV had a license plate because I didn’t want to make this a R vs NR thing. There are idiots from every state and the fact that these people were from XXXX was not the cause of their behavior. Maybe they are the “we paid a lot of money for this hunt so we’re owed” type of NR. Not all NR’s see it that way. Some understand that they paid that money for the chance, no guarantee of success and the cost doesn’t change their behavior.
I guess I was thinking that folks who got their tags for $50 were less concerned about blowing an opportunity than those who paid $600 for their tag. But certainly this behavior can be seen in both R's and NR's at times.

Laziness knows no state boundaries.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm still curious why bowhunters have to make sure their "bow" is always in every picture?

Reminds me of fly fishermen, flyrod, fly reel, or fly in every fish picture...most have all three.
My avatar pic barely shows my stabilizer and part of my sight, and that certainly wasn't intentional. They were just in the way for trying to set up the camera for a solo pic. But there is no bow in the pic.

I've been a fly fisherman since I could walk, and I don't think I've ever taken a fish picture at all. And if I did, I certainly wouldn't be putting the flies I use in the pic. I rarely ever see my favorite flies in pics, catalogs, or the stores.