Ethics vs Excitement

We’re these people hunting inside a high fence? I wonder about anyone that’d do a high fence “hunt”. I don’t really consider it unethical and don’t think it should be illegal. I just consider it trophy shopping more than hunting. Maybe not the case here though.
Depends on how much area is enclosed.

20’x20’ = going to the butcher

Thousands of acres fenced in and animals can go where they want = potential true hunt

Folks (generic) tend to be ok with hunting in Africa which often is high fence (just with a lot of acreage enclosed). Hypocritical to be ok with it there but rail against it in North America.

OP
Wyobohunter
Depends on how much area is enclosed.

20’x20’ = going to the butcher

Thousands of acres fenced in and animals can go where they want = potential true hunt

Folks (generic) tend to be ok with hunting in Africa which often is high fence (just with a lot of acreage enclosed). Hypocritical to be ok with it there but rail against it in North America.
I disagree with the first part of your post and agree with the second part. A fence is a fence (including Africa). In my opinion, a fair chase hunt limits the hunters movement with barriers, generally legal barriers like property lines, unit boundaries and state lines. Animals don’t have to adhere to those boundaries. Even if the animals are in an area that is thousands of acres they still don’t have the option to get away altogether. It is a matter of perspective. Like I said, I don’t really consider it unethical, I don’t consider it fair chase hunting either.

Last edited:
Sorry, the "new generation" learned it from the "old" generation. Plus, you can find plenty of old dudes that hunt like that. The issue in not age, it is a pampered and entitled culture.
Agree. The guys chasing deer like 'yotes in pickups with CBs and marine radios learned from their elders in this part of the world.

S-3 ranch

WKR
We’re these people hunting inside a high fence? I wonder about anyone that’d do a high fence “hunt”. I don’t really consider it unethical and don’t think it should be illegal. I just consider it trophy shopping more than hunting. Maybe not the case here though.
No , aoudad and pronghorn where I hunt are 100% open range in west Texas , I think some exotic ranches have high fenced Aoudad hunting
but it’s bad for business as Aoudad are hard on fences

OP
Wyobohunter
No , aoudad and pronghorn where I hunt are 100% open range in west Texas , I think some exotic ranches have high fenced Aoudad hunting
but it’s bad for business as Aoudad are hard on fences
Pretty funny, and awful when folks talk about long range prowess. Then can’t make simple shots. Makes me sick to think of how many they must wound and not even feel a little bad about it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I went on a stick bow only kick for about six years. I finally gave it up because I was not proficient enough with it. IMO most people should not hunt with a stick bow. If you don't believe me go tag along with a group of trad guys at a 3D shoot. :)
"A man's got to know his limitations."

I shot a 3D shoot one time with a Trad guy in our group. He tore that course up. I remember one shot in particular.........47 yards across a ravine at a deer target hidden in the shadows. He stuck that target right behind the shoulder for a perfect shot. I can't remember how it scored, but he gained a whole lot of respect from the rest of us in the group.

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
Didn’t one of us tell you why? It’s to prove we are better than you… 😜

It has to be a dry fly though. Showing a dirty Ol’ nymph would be embarrassing.
Ice fishermen are just as bad:

IMG_20220117_1150480713.jpg

IMG_20220117_141411147.jpg

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
"A man's got to know his limitations."

I shot a 3D shoot one time with a Trad guy in our group. He tore that course up. I remember one shot in particular.........47 yards across a ravine at a deer target hidden in the shadows. He stuck that target right behind the shoulder for a perfect shot. I can't remember how it scored, but he gained a whole lot of respect from the rest of us in the group.
That's why I said most people. Being good, not even great with a stick bow takes a level of dedication and focus that most don't have. I shot pretty much every day for six-year, and I would consider myself average. I shot my fair share of elk with trad equipment but I never felt totally confident past 15 yards. But I have shot with a few guys that are on a whole different level, it's impressive to watch.

That's why I said most people. Being good, not even great with a stick bow takes a level of dedication and focus that most don't have. I shot pretty much every day for six-year, and I would consider myself average. I shot my fair share of elk with trad equipment but I never felt totally confident past 15 yards. But I have shot with a few guys that are on a whole different level, it's impressive to watch.
It's truly amazing to see some of these guys shoot . Not sure if you guys know who Ron LaClair is from Michigan. He was the original bowyer for "shrew" bows. Old you tube videos shooting coins out of the air . Byron Ferguson was another. Pretty to humbling

These are not hunters. Hunters enjoy the stalk, that's where the fun is. The kill shot is the end of the fun and the beginning of the work. As a bow hunter I wanna get as close as possible, even when hunting with a rifle. I have crawled across open country to get within 120-200 yards of bulls in terrain that offered almost zero cover. The hour that I spent doing that was the "sport"...what the guys you are referring to are doing is not sport...it is sad. Just plain sad. JMO

BTW...I can shoot out to 1000 yards but won't take a shot at a live animal at long distance. I don't wanna hold over, I wanna be at or inside of the zero on my gun, hear the thud of impact and KNOW the bull is DRT. That's how every one went down.

Last edited:

WKR
I’ve made an unethical shot. At the time, it was down to a couple of days left in the late season and I was worried I wasn’t going to fill my tag.

I shot at a moving cow at about 550 yards…….with an ‘06/220gr. I broke her hind leg. I was able to put her down about 30 minutes later.

I’ve always regretted it and I wouldn’t do it again.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That is why I have never jumped into the Trad realm. Being a perfectionist I have no idea whether I would want to even try it. Although, the older I get, the more I want to try it. I have tried to shoot a couple recurves, but I felt like I was going to break the bows as they wouldn't pull back far enough for my draw length. Maybe some day.......with a custom bow.

Btaylor

WKR
That is why I have never jumped into the Trad realm. Being a perfectionist I have no idea whether I would want to even try it. Although, the older I get, the more I want to try it. I have tried to shoot a couple recurves, but I felt like I was going to break the bows as they wouldn't pull back far enough for my draw length. Maybe some day.......with a custom bow.
I suspect you would take to it like a duck to water. It requires a higher commitment to craft than any other weapon I have hunted with but you seem to have that instinct with the way you hunt.

I'm pretty floored by Ethics and Morals today. Gives me a TERRIBLE attitude about 99% of others. I guess at 50 I've grown into being about 3 quarters qweer......maybe I'm ready to quit? Seeing guts and plumbing being drug across the prairie turns my stomach. Seeing and hearing shit squeal and bawl trying to crawl off with only the front wheels and dragging the ass end doesn't get me hard. Watching non residents from the EC on the Montana prairie shooting antelope in a 30mph wind dragging guts and ass ends flailing all over for 30 minutes while Schmelts waddles out there to finish the job...with 3 more shots at 10 feet...doesn't do much for me.

The handful of times I didn't finish well, turned my stomach. I didn't want any photos. Simply felt terrible and wanted to forget the entire schit show. And it taught me to not do it again. I don't think many/any get the same feeling. I see nothing but High 5s, and Yea Dude! all over YouTube for what was a schit performance. But after 6 rounds and 5 non lethal hits....We Got 'em Dude!

The Fux Given by many today is, to me, incredibly Sad.