Eureka tent?

I don’t see much love for eureka tents on here, I’m looking for a quality car camping tent, not concerned about weight just something that will last for years for a family of 4. I can get eureka tents locally, How is this brand of tent? I’m looking specifically at the jade canyon x6 or the copper canyon lx 6 or 8 person both from eureka.
Looking to take the family on a car trip to the east coast and we’ll be car camping along the way, also some boat/car camping throughout the years. Anyone with experience with this this brand or models? Are they a quality tent? Is there something else to look at?

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
They make good car camping tents. I doubt anyone would argue with that. They tend to use heavier and less innovative fabrics and coatings.

LA Hunter

FNG
I've had my 4-P Eureka since 1997 and it works great. It is a little heavy for backcountry use, but we split it up on a few trips and it is manageable. It has some plastic clips to enable the rain fly to pull the interior out and make it more open. These clips have broken over the years and it seems paracord is the best way to repair these.

It is a quality tent for the price; if you expect middle-of-the-road performance, then it will be perfect for you. You can spend more and get a lighter and stronger tent.

I looked at Amazon a few months ago to compare the weight and features compared with a replacement tent I purchased. I am amazed at how little this tent's design has changed in 25 years.

Always use the rain fly to help with condensation- not just rain.

Is there something else to look at?
We've done very well with the Cabela's Alaskan Guide series, both the 6 and 8 man. The one I have now we've had for at least 10 years, maybe 12. We use it duck hunting on a coastal island, holds up to the strong winds and storms very well. I've used it in the mountains as well for several trips. I have sleep issues, big time, so need a strong tent that I have zero concerns with otherwise my brain will keep me awake all night long listening/pondering/wondering. You didn't mention timing though, might be too hot for summertime.

Seth

WKR
We used a large Eureka as our family tent for over 10 years. It made a few early season elk hunts with friends also. We replaced it with the Copper Canyon 8 man. Look online and you’ll save some money on a very adequate family tent.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
I used a couple of Eureka's back to back for many years for a general car camping tent. They were great for what they cost (were always purchased on sale). Come to think of it we used a buddy's 6 man Eureka for lots of Dec/Jan AZ OTC archery hunts as well.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Great tent I used one elk hunting the first 8 years then got smart and went with lighter stuff. Still have the tent and use it on family trips.

Voyageur

WKR
My very first AK trip (1987) was spent sheltered in a buddy's Eureka Timberline 4 man. Upon returning home I immediately purchased one for my own use and for 15 or so years it received heavy use on different hunts and summer camping trips. When my kids got old enough to want their own tent it became "their" tent on summer trips. The last 10 years or so it rarely gets used, but it is still completely serviceable.

Ive had a couple of versions of the tetragon series. Works great for car camping. We picked up a roof top tent and my brother bought a 12 x 20 cabelas alaknak so I sold my latest. My first was 20 years old and the zipper went out. I stayed dry in it in one of the worst rainstorms recorded in our area. 6" in just a few hours. It was crazy.