Eureka Timberline old school tent

Thinking about picking up a 4 man tent for car camping and the Eureka Timberline popped into my head as a decent potential option. We used them in Boy Scouts and they were robust and had great ventilation. Seems like one should have plenty of room for two adults and a couple of little ones, and also wouldn’t be horribly heavy for the occasional short backpacking trip.

I dunno… I may be misremembering how good these tents were. Any of you have experience with them?

*zap*

WKR
my general experience with eureka tents has been good....usmc 2 man and tcop..both are good tents for their intended use.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
My first decent tent was a 2 man eureka timberline. I still own it - it is probably 30 years old. Super easy setup and lots of room inside. Eureka quality has always been pretty decent in my experience.

Zdub02

WKR
I still use a timberline 2 man as my primary tent. Inherited from my dad. That tent is original and still functions great at 30+ years old. I've been in some heavy rainstorms and stayed very dry. Great 3 season option. Would highly recommend one.

cman79

FNG
I grew up camping year round in these tents in scouts also. Easy tents to setup and i e been through some nasty weather in them. We give ours a spray with camp dry every few years and always dry it out before storage. Not enough room for the wife and our 3 boys anymore. But anytime it’s me and the boys we still use it. After almost 30years using them I can probably set it up with my eyes closed. Great tents!

We've got a Timberline outfitter 6, Thing is build great and honestly weight isn't terrible compared to some other options out there. Haven't taken it through anything crazy but the way its built I've got a lot of confidence.

lonedave

WKR
Good tents, but heavy in todays world. That said, I have two 2 man timberlines from 1972 and 1974 that I actually still used up into the early 2000's. They are pretty bombproof in my opinion. One of mine housed a friend and I on Mt Rainier and several other peaks in Washington. I also have a 4 man from about 1974 that was my dads. It hasn't been used in at least 30 years and has completely lost the coating on the fly. A 4 man would probably work well for your intended purpose.

Wrench

WKR
I JUUUUST gave away a 40ish year old eureka alpine meadows, which is the high class timberline. It was still quite functional and servived a long run of kids and dogs. Good layout, ventilation and bucked the wind well. I would buy another if I needed it. Mine was made in the USA, I doubt that's gonna happen any longer.

forestry

FNG
I have a Timberline that I bought just a couple of years ago. It's still a good tent. The design is good to go in most three season weather, much more so than most simple dome tents in my opinion.

For three season camping, I love tents where there is a part of the rainfly that doesn't go all the way to the ground. I like being able to look outside and get airflow, etc, even when it's raining. It's not too common with modern tent designs but it is just the way the Timberline is designed as an A-frame.

I worked with a wilderness school where we slept four teenagers in each Timberline 4. It worked fine. Split between 2-4 people, it's not too heavy for anything.