Euro Mount Help, Please.

Hello All,

Yesterday I worked on a bull elk euro mount and have some questions after noticing a few issues this morning. The bull was shot 4 weeks ago, I soaked the skull in water/borax mix for the last three weeks. Yesterday I boiled, it was 30 degrees with sustained winds so it took a long time to get the water heated up. I wonder if I goofed by leaving the head in the pot the entire time. (3 hours to start of boil) Once I started to see a rolling boil I cut the heat and pulled the head out. I hit it with a pressure washer which left quite a bit of meat still on the head. So I returned it to the pot for another hour at a simmer. After pulling the head out I noticed the bones on the nose starting to pull apart.. I finished the work with a havalon, brush and pliers to try and remove the rest of the soft tissue. After I got as much as possible removed I applied the 40 peroxide paste to the skull and let it sit over night. This morning when I removed the residue I noticed some grease spots, and lack of white. So my issues are remnant grease and the bone separation. After doing some reading on forums I am thinking I will return the skull to a pot of hot water mixed with degreaser, and put a binding around the nose to pull the bones back together. I will leave this for 8 hours or so and then pull it out for another application of peroxide paste.

Any thoughts on this?

What is the best degreaser?

If the peroxide does not get the whitening I desire, any other recommendations? ( I am nervous about over bleaching and causing the bone to flake)

Thank you for your time! (I will try and post pictures this afternoon)

muddydogs

WKR
It takes me 2 to 3 applications of whitener to get it white though I don't apply the whitener or even do a degrease simmer until all the tissue is removed.

wytx

WKR
Simmer till all the meat comes off then degrease with dawn or your choice in hot water till the water looks clean, change out water if needed.. The bones will separate some, seal the seam with glue.
We use the liquid peroxide and keep the skull submerged for about 2-3 days. Out it out in the sunshine to dry.

OP
KeeperOfTheWoods
Thank you wytx and muddydogs. I think that is going to be my plan. Put it back on a simmer in water with Dawn Dish Soap, then allow to soak for a few hours. Pull it out and apply another round of the 40 Peroxide. Then close the seams with glue, maybe Elmers?

Why did you soak it fir 3 weeks?
Next time just skin the face take jaw off, cut as much off as you can.
Boiling is a misnomer just a simmering 180 ish.
A far as bone separation prob is what it is. From boiling.
Anyways I'd let it simmer with some borax, dawn etc..
Let it dry then apply the peroxide.
You got 40% volumizer paste from a beauty supply correct?
Good luck.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
I use the fish tank heater maceration process, but degreasing shouldn't be any different. After I macerate my skull (cleaning process) I put them in a plastic tub with clean warm water and 1/2 cup of dawn dish soap. I put in 1-2 fish tank heaters (keeps the water warm) and leave it with the water coming up to the bases for 24 hours. I then change the water and repeat the process for 4-6 times depending on the grease level (usually worse with skulls that weren't cleaned right away). After I have fully degreased the skull I start the whitening process which usually is compete in another day or two.

OP
KeeperOfTheWoods
Some pics of current state

Attachments

• 20191021_180737.jpg
    20191021_180737.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 20191021_180801.jpg
    20191021_180801.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 132
  • 20191021_180744.jpg
    20191021_180744.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 127
OP
KeeperOfTheWoods
Why did you soak it fir 3 weeks?
Next time just skin the face take jaw off, cut as much off as you can.
Boiling is a misnomer just a simmering 180 ish.
A far as bone separation prob is what it is. From boiling.
Anyways I'd let it simmer with some borax, dawn etc..
Let it dry then apply the peroxide.
You got 40% volumizer paste from a beauty supply correct?
Good luck.
Totalled my truck the day after getting home. Didn't have time to get to it but wanted to keep it moist
The soak dissolved the brain matter.

I'd say the nose separation is normal wouldn't worry about that.
I'd degrease it again and re apply the peroxide.
I mixed some powder in a guy on YouTube recommended, I'll see if I can find it.

tntrker

WKR
Dawn Dish Detergent and bleach has always worked well for me as a degreaser. Just wrap the antlers so no bleach reaches them around the skull . I've always just boiled without the "soaking time" and never had to use the whiting process. If it doesn't come out like you want it to, google how to dip the skull using spray paint. You could use white paint or any combination to create whatever design you like. The paint will also bond the nose bones as well.. Good luck!!

super glue and for whiter skulls I have boiled in hydrogen peroxide works a lot better for hogs and antelope cause can remove horns but if for some reason the horns get bleached out a bit use a wood stain and brings it right back

I have also used a mixture of the stronger gel like hair product peroxide and the powder bleach girls use on their hair brush on let it sit in sun for a bit and repeat..

OP
KeeperOfTheWoods
Hello everyone, thanks again for all your input. I haven't gotten it hung yet, but finished the work. Quite satisfied other than the gap on the nasal bone. I decided to quit tinkering with it and just let it go. As many of you probably know I think sometimes we have a tendency to try too hard and then make things worse in the end. Best of luck during the later hunting season this year.

Attachments

• 20191102_185659.jpg
    20191102_185659.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 20191102_185651.jpg
    20191102_185651.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 149