Euro Mount Help, Please.

OP
KeeperOfTheWoods
Oxyclean in the first boil. Pick and scrape every once and a while. I like to knock out the little bones around the ear canal to open up the brain cavity too. Keep simmering until it is flesh free. For whitening and degreasing boil/simmer in clean water with 40 volume developer(peroxide). I think that putting the peroxide in the boil is best because it gets inside the skull and releases the grease.
It looks like you’ve already got a good method going now though. Well done.
Thanks Mr. Tim. I may have to experiment with the oxy clean next time. I really enjoyed this, and will be offering to help people next year to get more experience. I ended up doing 2 elk, 1 whitetail and a bear this year. Oh, and a porcupine, cause I couldn't resist.

Chet518

FNG
Cascade dishwasher powder with dawn works really good just don't leave it in to long . Get the water moving not a rolling boil put the skull in and take out in 10 to 15 minutes. Take off residual flesh and put back in for another 10 to 15 minutes. They come out nice and white and easy to clean, grizzle wipes off easy. Let dry and use whitening agent /peroxide. Watch your water level when you add cascade because it will raise it in a hurry. I usually sprinkle it in when the temp is rising with the skull immersed . Before you start get as much flesh off as you can.

Mix of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda for whitening works for me. Dosnt make the skull super white but I prefer them that way.

Evergreen

WKR
So I did my first Euros this year too, learned a lot but the biggest thing I noticed using the 40% hair stuff was that it worked better when I brought the skulls inside the house. I think the warmer temperature activated more efficiently. I had it in the garage and it was taking forever and leaving those yellow spots that were mentioned.

Attachments

• 20191219_114306.jpg
    20191219_114306.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 21
OP
KeeperOfTheWoods
Thanks corrnfed to was a pain to do but made my wife happy. I told her if it wasn't there, it'd have to be over the headboard ;). Evergreen, that's a good thought I also found wrapping it in a grocery sack helped

So I did my first Euros this year too, learned a lot but the biggest thing I noticed using the 40% hair stuff was that it worked better when I brought the skulls inside the house. I think the warmer temperature activated more efficiently. I had it in the garage and it was taking forever and leaving those yellow spots that were mentioned.
Absolutely works better and faster the warmer it is. I put one in a black bag and set it in the sun on a warm day and it was done in no time.

MAC1585

FNG
Like some have said the key is to get that peroxide hot once on the skull. I apply it and wrap in Saran Wrap. Then place in front of a space heater till it steams. Just make sure not to get it too close. On greasy animals like bear, Javelina it’s best to let them decrease in a dawn/ water mix first. If not it will eventually leach out and turn your skull yellow over time.

OP
KeeperOfTheWoods
Hello again everyone, I have been at it with the skull boiling again this year. I had an issue with a whitetail I'm working on. The deer has large, gnarly bases with a hard slant on them. I tried to seal them well with shrink wrap and electrical tape, but it appears they bleached some in the boil. Has anyone had similar issues? Any solutions or fixes? I used oxy clean instead of borax this time. I'm wondering if that could be part of the problem as well. Thanks Again!

Hello again everyone, I have been at it with the skull boiling again this year. I had an issue with a whitetail I'm working on. The deer has large, gnarly bases with a hard slant on them. I tried to seal them well with shrink wrap and electrical tape, but it appears they bleached some in the boil. Has anyone had similar issues? Any solutions or fixes? I used oxy clean instead of borax this time. I'm wondering if that could be part of the problem as well. Thanks Again!
Use wood stain on the bleached part