Euro Mount Help, Please.

WKR
Looks good, it'll be great on the wall. Finished up 3 elk heads today. Got 1 more degreasing and 4 deer in process. Love the Euro look.

Jimss

WKR
Looks good to me! I often put a bunch of muletrain borax also in the wash with dawn. The borax will likely keep the bugs off. The last thing you want is bugs going from your euro skulls to your other mounts! Some of the cracks on the skull are merely areas where there was lardy material before you boiled the skull.

FYI, I often just put my skull in plastic garbage bags for a few days to a week. You want the bags wrapped super tight so the skull doesn't dry out and there are fewer flies. I often wrap the bag around each antler with duct tape. Your neighbors and wife may not like the stench but it will greatly speed up the boiling process. I can often boil a skull in just a few hours letting the meat pretty much rot on the skull before boiling. It's pretty nasty smelling but will dramatically speed things up.

OP
KeeperOfTheWoods
I had some of the 40 peroxide paste from a salon. Multiple coats, and I used the bag over the head method. I think next time I will try peroxide in the boil. Fortunate to have a nice white tail head to work on now.

I have had good luck putting oxi clean in the water while boiling the skull and a power washer. you will need rubber rain gear nd googles but it works well. also, a clothes hanger chunk hooked to a drill works well for helping the brain get out.

Fatcamp

WKR
For me I will skin my head as soon as possible and start the simmer/power wash process as soon as I get home.

Last year I had skulls to do in a variety of time after kill. The freshest one turned out the best and was the easiest by far.KIMG1634.JPG
Antelope 2 months. Mule deer 2 weeks. Whitetail 2 days. Identical process.

Power washing sucks. Power washing a rotten head really sucks.

OP
KeeperOfTheWoods
For me I will skin my head as soon as possible and start the simmer/power wash process as soon as I get home.

Last year I had skulls to do in a variety of time after kill. The freshest one turned out the best and was the easiest by far.View attachment 130923
Antelope 2 months. Mule deer 2 weeks. Whitetail 2 days. Identical process.

Power washing sucks. Power washing a rotten head really sucks.
I've got a white tail sitting in the garage I need to get to. Looking at my schedule it will be at least a week before I can get it in the boiler. Did you do all of yours from a dry start? I have a friend who likes to soak his heads in borax and water first. I tried that with my elk, I think it at least helped with getting all the brain matter out. But not sure if it was necessary. My issue now is everything will be frozen for the next few months at my house.

Fatcamp

WKR
Everything was started from a different age with the skin on. The drier they are the tougher they are. Soaking helps a ton of they are really dry, and I used an odor eliminator on the antelope cuz they stunk. No smell now.

The whitetail was days old, frozen, and unskinned. Took a bit to skin it, but once I got that done it went really smooth. Getting them done asap is critical, but soaking sure helps.

I like using oxiclean in the boil...it breakdowns a lot of the soft tissue...I use the 40% peroxide solution, I also get in the powder form too and add a little to make paste so it doesnt run off while bleaching. I also coat it with mop and glow and let dry to seal the bone. Makes getting dust off of them easier when they have been hanging a while. YMMV

OP
KeeperOfTheWoods
Took a shot at my second Euro this year. Very pleased with the way this whitetail turned out.

Attachments

• 20191109_115912.jpg
    20191109_115912.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20191109_115955.jpg
    20191109_115955.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 54
It's cold enough here that I don't want to be running a power washer off my outdoor spigots at the house. Is there a way to get meat off without a power washer or do I need to hit a self serve car wash or something?

It's cold enough here that I don't want to be running a power washer off my outdoor spigots at the house. Is there a way to get meat off without a power washer or do I need to hit a self serve car wash or something?
I have never used a power washer..just boil and pick....

OP
KeeperOfTheWoods
I have never used a power washer..just boil and pick....
This year is the first time I've used the power washer. Worth the trouble if you can make it work. Our local diy car wash has heated bays with doors, I considered that as an option due to the same issues your experiencing.

JG358

WKR

Air compressor.

I’ve had great experiences with boiling whitetail skulls in baking soda, a small amount of dawn soap , and water. The baking soda removes a lot of the outer flesh and doesn’t compromise the bones on the skull. Make sure you remove the eyes and most of the outer flesh/ jaw before boiling as it saves a ton of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Doesn't look too bad. Ideally, skulls are most easily cleaned right away. Letting them sit only makes the job harder. I know this isn't always possible, but whenever it is, definitely get it boiled and washed. The last few I've done right away I didn't even use peroxide. Nice, natural white color.

MrTim

FNG
Oxyclean in the first boil. Pick and scrape every once and a while. I like to knock out the little bones around the ear canal to open up the brain cavity too. Keep simmering until it is flesh free. For whitening and degreasing boil/simmer in clean water with 40 volume developer(peroxide). I think that putting the peroxide in the boil is best because it gets inside the skull and releases the grease.
It looks like you’ve already got a good method going now though. Well done.