Euro Mount in Los Angeles?

Does anyone know a reliable person that does euro mounts in Los Angeles? I'm hoping to successfully harvest a mule deer buck and would like to find someone that can do the euro mount for me. Thanks for any help.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
OP
Davidson51
Thanks for all the responses. I've watched videos and would love to do this myself. My wife has finally put her foot down on something and will not allow me to do this at home. Given all the other things she doesn't mind, I'm going to let her have this one (this time).

Englishjc

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the responses. I've watched videos and would love to do this myself. My wife has finally put her foot down on something and will not allow me to do this at home. Given all the other things she doesn't mind, I'm going to let her have this one (this time).
You can do it at my place, lol. I'm in Santa Clarita

Antares

WKR
Tell her "Alright sweet pea, I promise I won't boil this skull." and then macerate it. That'll teach her. She'll be begging you to boil the next one.

Gasman

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know a reliable person that does euro mounts in Los Angeles? I'm hoping to successfully harvest a mule deer buck and would like to find someone that can do the euro mount for me. Thanks for any help.
Whereabouts will you be hunting? Locally, out-of-state, etc.

TheGDog

WKR
Do the Euro mount yourself. They're not hard.

Before you do though, go onto amazon and buy a straight and curved pair of hemostats. You'll need them to help remove bits of flesh and brain from inside the cranial cavity.

Also you'll need to get some peroxide cream from a beauty supply house. Get like the 40% cream. You'll put a decent bit of the cream into the water that you "simmer" the skull in. You don't "boil" the skull, as that will make areas of the skull get weakened. Think of it more like a "simmer". The peroxide "cures" the tissues you can't get to within the skull. Such as within the nasal cavities and within the jaw bone.

I recommend just using the hemostats and grabbing and rotating/twisting in a circle to rip out all the sinus cavity thin bone tissue in there. Makes it much easier to get out remnant bits of flesh all within that area.

And... get you a Skull Hooker mount kit. They make it super easy to mount your Euro up on the wall.

OP
Davidson51
Do the Euro mount yourself. They're not hard.

Before you do though, go onto amazon and buy a straight and curved pair of hemostats. You'll need them to help remove bits of flesh and brain from inside the cranial cavity.

Also you'll need to get some peroxide cream from a beauty supply house. Get like the 40% cream. You'll put a decent bit of the cream into the water that you "simmer" the skull in. You don't "boil" the skull, as that will make areas of the skull get weakened. Think of it more like a "simmer". The peroxide "cures" the tissues you can't get to within the skull. Such as within the nasal cavities and within the jaw bone.

I recommend just using the hemostats and grabbing and rotating/twisting in a circle to rip out all the sinus cavity thin bone tissue in there. Makes it much easier to get out remnant bits of flesh all within that area.

And... get you a Skull Hooker mount kit. They make it super easy to mount your Euro up on the wall.

Thanks, this is really helpful.

Whereabouts will you be hunting? Locally, out-of-state, etc.

Hunting locally.

Gasman

Lil-Rokslider
There used to be a guy in Ojai, but he's long gone. A Yelp search did turn up several taxidermists in the LA area, though.

I've "boiled" skulls using Arm & Hammer laundry detergent, that works pretty well.

amassi

WKR
A friend of mine was nervous about his first diy euro so he bought some goat skulls from a halal butchershop to practice on.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
I never put anything in the water when simmering.
Wait till after everything is cleaned off then 40% peroxide.
Dont get it on the antlers, I wrap the bases with rubber gloves.
Patience and time is your friend.

OP
Davidson51
Thank you for all of the helpful recommendations. I have 2 solid referrals that I've spoken to. One is a 4.5 hour round trip to a guy that uses beetles, and the other is a 1.5 hour round trip for a guy that boils. I know there are differing opinions on this topic, maybe I'll fill both of my tags and try one of each.

TSAMP

WKR
I never put anything in the water when simmering.
Wait till after everything is cleaned off then 40% peroxide.
Dont get it on the antlers, I wrap the bases with rubber gloves.
Patience and time is your friend.
I've found the dish soap will remove grease from the skulls. Eliminates the darker spots on the top that I end up having to bleach more.It also smells better.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I sometimes use a small drill bit (just using my fingers) to drill a hole (hidden)
in those stubborn greasy areas. Seems to let that grease come out when
simmering.
I have been wanting to try some Boraxo when simmering.

TheGDog

WKR
Thank you for all of the helpful recommendations. I have 2 solid referrals that I've spoken to. One is a 4.5 hour round trip to a guy that uses beetles, and the other is a 1.5 hour round trip for a guy that boils. I know there are differing opinions on this topic, maybe I'll fill both of my tags and try one of each.
Short Answer:
Paying somebody else do the boil/simmer is a major waste of your money. Not to mention they won't be as careful as you!
Paying somebody to use their beetles though is worth it. The beetles can get in and clean things you can't.