Euro mount smells

bsnedeker

WKR
I just did a Euro mount myself on an Elk. I found that you need to power wash the hell out of the nasal cavity.
There is tissue back there that withstood 8 hrs of simmering in Dawn/Oxyclean bath. I went back in
and put the power wash nozzle back in the nasal cavity and got all the residual stuff out. There was still
quite a bit. it didn't smell after that. For future reference I am not a taxidermy do it yourself guy but it
was really easy to do. Bought peroxide solution for the skull bleaching , Youtubed it. Turned out great.View attachment 352407
I think people that are saying you need to leave your euro out in the sun for a week are not doing this. I've done a number of euro mounts and never has one of them ever smelled bad when I'm done. If you get REAL close you can maybe smell something but it's so faint it doesn't matter at all.

I've seen guys boil a skull and leave the nose bones in...looks cool I agree, but you are leaving a TON of tissue in the back of the nasal cavity as you describe. There is no realistic way to get it all out in my experience, but you can get a lot out.

If you want to preserve the nasal bones you need to use beetles and make sure it is thoroughly degreased. It's not worth the effort in my opinion but some guys like it that way.

I think people that are saying you need to leave your euro out in the sun for a week are not doing this. I've done a number of euro mounts and never has one of them ever smelled bad when I'm done. If you get REAL close you can maybe smell something but it's so faint it doesn't matter at all.

I've seen guys boil a skull and leave the nose bones in...looks cool I agree, but you are leaving a TON of tissue in the back of the nasal cavity as you describe. There is no realistic way to get it all out in my experience, but you can get a lot out.

If you want to preserve the nasal bones you need to use beetles and make sure it is thoroughly degreased. It's not worth the effort in my opinion but some guys like it that way.
I agree. Initially I left the Nasal bones in because they do look cool, but I ended up taking it all out due to the amount of tissue in there. I found that leaving the head pointed up with Hydrogen Peroxide in the back of the cavity did a good job of getting rid of the stuff way back.

Wife had enough of mine smelling up the room it stays in 20220102_134019.jpgand motivated me to try and help the situation. 1/3 bottle of dawn.....will let it sit at least until tomorrow afternoon

once you are done with that make sure you power wash the hell out of the nasal cavity way back. I also
added some of the Hydrogen pyroxide for bleaching back in there and let it pool and sit for a day. No smell
at all after that.

Another really cool trick once you are done with that is put the Hydrogen pyroxide on, layer paper towels over it and wrap in saran wrap, leave for several days. Really does a good job bleaching the skull. Saw it on Youtube.

once you are done with that make sure you power wash the hell out of the nasal cavity way back. I also
added some of the Hydrogen pyroxide for bleaching back in there and let it pool and sit for a day. No smell
at all after that.

Another really cool trick once you are done with that is put the Hydrogen pyroxide on, layer paper towels over it and wrap in saran wrap, leave for several days. Really does a good job bleaching the skull. Saw it on Youtube.
Looks like I'll have to try that next. All soaking it in degreaser did was make it stink even worse than before, much worse.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
If you have a pressure washer and a tree - ratchet strap it to a tree and spray the pressure washer into the nasal cavity using at least a 15 deg nozzle.

JPD350

WKR
It's really easy to get to the area behind the sinuses and leave the sinus bones in. This is the first thing I do after getting the brains out. Take a long screw driver and stick it in thru the back of the skull, point it to one side of the sinuses and tap the back of the screwdriver until you break thru into the sinus area, do this on both sides. Now you have two holes, put a 1/2" drill bit on an extension and drill both holes clean then take a stiff piece of wire and bend a 1/2" 90 degree on the end then from the brain cavity work it into one sinus hole and bed a handle on your end, twist it all around to dislodge more crap then proceed to soak your skull. after it has soaked a bit take a long reg head screwdriver in from the front of the sinus and twist a little more. when your done that crap is all gone and you still have your sinus.

Recently for some moose antlers I tried a few things mentioned in some other posts but in the end I bought some enzyme spray for urine and sprayed down the antlers which stunk really really bad and the smell was gone.