Euro skulls

ColeyG

WKR
Just so everyone knows, the peroxide you buy at a beauty salon is not 50%. It’s not 40% either just because it says volume 40 on the bottle. 50% is combustible and has burned down many Taxidermy shops. I bought mine as 35% in 55 gallon barrels then diluted it with water but it will still burn the hell out of your skin! I did the maceration method, degrease, then soak in the peroxide. I’m actually glad I’m not doing Taxidermy anymore fulltime.

The peroxide content is half of whatever the volume number is, U20 = 10% peroxide, U30 = 15% etc. The stronger the better as you have to buy less of it. I usually try to 4:1 water to U30 or U40 concentration for the whitening boil. Most of the stuff that is sold over the counter for wound care etc. is 5% I believe.

Exposure time will vary based on the skull and heat applied.

Don't be surprised if you get some strange questions from the beauty salon staff if you buy large amounts of peroxide at once. They are required to report large volume, usual purchase to the ATF or DEA or some fed agency as peroxide is used in some sort of illicit bomb or drug making activities. After that happened a time or two I just started telling them I was purchasing it for taxidermy upon arrival.

I bought mine from Interstate Chemical Co. I had to fill out some forms and explain what I needed it for and they had to check everything out to verify. I still have about 30 gallons and it is actually 35% peroxide. The 35% is still combustible if it gets mixed with certain metals. Especially iron. Don’t ask me how I know! Lol

i have done a few myself, but there is a lady about 40 minutes away from me who does next level euro mounts.... she makes skulls look better than i thought they could look, antlers look like a live critter.... didn't know euros got better than all of the rest i have.... they do.

to me, it's worth supporting local economy, and not dealing with the mess.... i don't mind it, but i like the work this lady does, and the cost is very reasonable.

i just dropped off 2 blacktails with her yesterday, mine and my wife's

bac078

FNG
I pay my neighbor... its $40/head. Well worth it than for me to cut, skin, boil, dispose, and stink up my garage. I also really prefer the euro look. And easy to display