Evening Turkey Tips Please

tikka270

FNG
Hey there,
This is my first real turkey season. I'm flying solo and have permission on one chunk of land that I've seen turkey on before. there's about 30 acres of farmland that runs into 20 acres of bush. land owner said he hasn't see much this year compared to most years and only in the morning. problem is I can mostly get out at night. I can shoot until 7pm here in Southern Ontario.
Should I set decoys and call or should I be bush wacking with a crow call trying to scare em up? side note, let's assume my calling is sub amateur.

Thanks in Advance

SoDaky

WKR
Do they roost there or nearby?If not likely will be tough hunting.They most likely will be moving/feeding toward their roost in the evening so....
I think of Canadian 'bush' as thick stuff but if it includes more open woods it's possible they might be there in the afternoon.Maybe try an observation hunt looking/listening.
Good hunting!

OP
T

tikka270

FNG
Do they roost there or nearby?If not likely will be tough hunting.They most likely will be moving/feeding toward their roost in the evening so....
I think of Canadian 'bush' as thick stuff but if it includes more open woods it's possible they might be there in the afternoon.Maybe try an observation hunt looking/listening.
Good hunting!
Thanks for the reply. Not sure about roosting. I think they did in previous years, but no sightings by the land owner yet this year. I think I'm going to have to try a morning to see if I hear anything.

300wmxcr2

FNG
Evening hunting can be tough. Best bet is to pick a spot away from the field where you can see it all and watch it for an evening or 2. See if you can find out where they are travelling on the way to their roosting area. Set up on their root with a hen decoy and do some calling. Patience will get you a bird if they are there.

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a turkey 2 days ago setting up on a field corner about 2hrs before sunset. But I knew turkeys were using that field in the morning and evenings. Turkeys like to feed right before they go up to roost. I used minimal calling and had 3 decoys out. (2 hens and a Jake). My advice would be to spend an evening with binoculars looking at field edges and corners for birds then set up on them the next day

Broomd

WKR
Evening turkey hunting isn't hard.
Find the roost, most birds will make some noise prior to roosting. Also droppings under a roost are a giveaway.
Once found, set up late afternoon without detection. I usually set up a decoy or two just to settle any turkey nerves.

If you do get set up and miss the suspected roost spot, listen for them flying up and reassess the plan. Adjust accordingly.

2rocky

WKR
Evening hunts are a spot and ambush kind of deal. Listen for gobbles in evenings and see if you can find them headed to the roost. You might be behind them the first night but then you know where they roughly are for the next morning. If the morning doesn't work out , then set up near their path to the roost in the evening.

just finding the bird in the open and watching where they go will help a bunch.