Event bivy sacks

Lawnboi

WKR
How many use event bivy sacks? Looking at integral designs, theres one in the classifieds iv been eyeing up for quite some time.

Iv got a rei bivy sack right now an condensation is driving me to take it back and return it for something i can get more use out of. It worked okay in milder temps, but the last 4 nights I stayed in it I got really bad condensation on the inside. I was even sure to not breathe into my bag and it was still plenty wet in the morning.

How is the condensation on the event bags? There a little heavy but i think it may be worth it to upgrade for colder weather camping atleast.

I still plan on getting a ti goat for warm weather, but i really would prefer something completely waterproof.

Gman

WKR
I love my ID eVent bivy. Never any condensation issues. I usually have my WM Alpinlite down bag in there -- Keeps everything dry and adds about 10 degrees easily to the temp rating of my bag. In the warmer months I just use that and a woobie. I'll never get a bivy that isn't eVent or some comparable un-inveneted to be named fabric of equal or better quality.

Short answer - can't go wrong with that bivy and come to think of it I've never seen anyone post that, the ID bivy has ever failed them. It just might not be what they are looking for, or too heavy, or whatever, but have never heard of failure which is a good thing!

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Good to hear. Main thing im looking to do is cut down condensation. After the last 2 nights my 0* down bag must have soaked up 5lbs of water. Luckily i was camping next to the truck.

How does your ID bivy work when its warmer with the woobie? Do you get too warm? I use a doobie to sleep in 3 season and im worried about roasting in the thing when temps are up around 60*. A woobie is also on my long list of things to get

Gman

WKR
Yeah, at 60 you'd be hot. I had one trip where I was hanging the leg out the side. :) But we don't get too many 60 degree nights at elevation when I'm out-- even if it's 60 air temp the wind cools things down. At 60 I'd probably bring the woobie but just sleep on my pad in the bivy and be fine.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Big Agnes Bivy and it is eVent. Never dealt with condensation issues. I can vent mine at top, which I normally do, but also don't get condensation in foot box.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
i snapped and picked up the bugaboo II in the classifieds. Couldnt say no to the price. Hopefully this will solve my condensation problems and allow me to open up my paratarp more without fear of soaking my bag.

Gman

WKR
I think you'll be very happy. I removed the wire out of mine. Not necessary but an option. I posted instructions on how to do it here in the forum if interested.

a3dhunter

WKR
The only thing I didn't like about the bugaboo II was the zipper. Horrible design in my opinion.
I have used the cabelas XPG bivy the last three years and never had a condensation issue. It is not event though, it uses Dry Plus fabric, whatever that is.I have the long and it is true to advertised weight at 25 oz.
The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't cover your face.
Plenty of nights I've slipped down into the bag and been breathing inside of it, still no condensation issues.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I think the 3 zips on top will be nice to be able to unzip them and sit up while still in my bag. Or so thats what im thinking right now, but that could change once I use it. Should have it monday