Ever do a honey burn to supplement calling or spot and stalk?

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Hello folks,

I've done honey burns before, but only to announce the grand opening of a bait barrel, or to try to entice nocturnal bears to come in on that barrel during legal shooting hours.

This year I left the barrels in the barn and am trying a combination of spot-and-stalk and calling. So far all I've done is glassed up a sow with cubs.

Have any of you guys ever found it worthwhile to do a honeyburn in a spot you'll be sitting in for just a few hours? If so, what was your set up? Usually, I would think to get on a ridgetop and let the smell waft down into the valleys below. The thing is, I'm hunting the sawtooths and the ridges are pretty inaccessible. Do you it's worth it to just hotbox meadows and valleys for an evening, or should I focus my time and energy on actively moving around to glass and call in more areas?

Elkhntr08

WKR
Did a couple a few weeks ago in Wyoming. Nothing, but the weather wasn’t the best. Wish I’d taken my predator call.

OP
M

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Will you explain a little about the honey burn and it’s affects?
Sure thing. A honey burn consists of putting a half inch or so of honey in an old tin can and heating it over a little stove until ithe honey carmelizes and smokes. A small amount of honey makes a spectacular amount of dense white smoke. This broadcasts a sweet aroma and hopefully attracts a bear. The smoke is kind of a sticky fog and will cling to branches and vegetation for a while.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Here’s a picture of one I did in Wyoming. I use Sturno and 2 metal cans. Drill 2 holes in the larger, light the fuel and drop it in, slide welding rods across and set the smaller can with honey on the rods. All fits together in a neat package.C699D073-8FAE-4BAE-A415-93B1AF5A50BE.jpeg

Here’s a picture of one I did in Wyoming. I use Sturno and 2 metal cans. Drill 2 holes in the larger, light the fuel and drop it in, slide welding rods across and set the smaller can with honey on the rods. All fits together in a neat package.View attachment 103261
How long does your burn last. I was planning on doing something similar when I bait but was thinking of using small candles. There is the super small ones that are in their own plastic container then one size up from that. Do you think they would burn hot enough or long enough?

Elkhntr08

WKR
A can lasts about an hour. I’ve never tried a candle, but I don’t figure it would get hot enough.

Here’s a picture of one I did in Wyoming. I use Sturno and 2 metal cans. Drill 2 holes in the larger, light the fuel and drop it in, slide welding rods across and set the smaller can with honey on the rods. All fits together in a neat package.View attachment 103261
That sounds like a slick set up for it.
Did anything besides the Robin come in?