Ever feel like someone's trying to tell you something?

tdot

WKR
2 weeks out from my first sheep hunt. Its a DIY, solo, Stone Sheep hunt here in BC. I've wanted to do this hunt since I was a kid, but it never seemed feasible, until speaking to my wife last fall I realized that I could afford the financial investment and more importantly the time to train. I've always kept myself at a fairly decent level of fitness with the sports that I do, but after 2 broken knees and 2 infants in the last 4 years, I was in the worst shape of my life. I told my wife that 9 months seems like a short window to prepare, but it could happen if everything went according to plan.

I started training in November, things seemed to be progressing well. Then Covid happens. The gym was a major part of my trainings, so that hurt. Fortunately we are in a town that has access to some burley backcountry hikes. So I double and even tripled the amount of miles that I was hiking. I'm not where I wanted to be with my core and shoulders, but I'm pretty close and the legs are feeling strong, so not a complete disaster.

We have had an abnormal amount of rain here in BC this summer and the snow is late to come off the mountains. I realized a couple weeks ago that every single place that I'd picked as an option to hunt requires a river crossing that is now likley to be impassible, as water levels in the region are currently higher then any point in the previous 16 months. But alot of late nights over the last 2 weeks and I think I have another 2 options. Not as good as my original options were, but still decent.

Despite planning on having my gear dialed by May 1, I've had a few failures and setbacks in the last 3 weeks. But with the help of others, including advice from this site, I've gotten everything sorted. So everything is still on track.

I told my wife this morning that I was a little bit incredulous that this was going to happen. I couldn't believe how lucky I was that everything seemed to be coming together. Then instead of a hike, I decided to take my 14 month old for a trail ride on the mountain bike... in sandals. Since I don't like bouncing the little guy too hard in his bike seat, i work the whole trail and try to keep it as smooth as possible. While trying to swing wide around some roots I dragged my foot thru some weeds at the trail edge. Didn't see the rock that was hidden.

Smashed my foot pretty good. Broken toe. Tore off the nail. My wife stitched it back on and I'm currently laying here wondering how I'm gonna pull off this recovery in 2 weeks. Oh ya, and to boot the freezing we had at home expired 6 years ago, so it only kinda numbed the toe before the stitches.

Attachments

• 20200715_114145.jpg
    20200715_114145.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 334
  • 20200715_134943.jpg
    20200715_134943.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 332
Ouch, looks like your wife did a great job. I've don't something similar and I don't think I would have been putting my foot in a hiking boot in two weeks.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

You are absolutely right. Someone is trying to tell you something. When you climb those mountains and kill that sheep you have been dreaming about since you were a kid it will be a life experience you will never forget. The obstacles and challenges are what makes the journey.
Get well and best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Tape, advil and time. The formula for success.

Honestly, keep it clean, and avoid any possibility of infection. Taping the toes together will help a lot, says the guy that has busted a few toes. There is a fair chance you can go, but you have to get the skin healed with no infection.

Hoping for the best.

Jeremy

Dang the bad luck. Hope you are a quick healer and get to go....or delay and go weeks or a month later. Less hunters in the hills then anyway and water levels likely will be a lot lower in the streams. Good luck!

Last edited:
It's not someone trying to tell you something, it's you not listening to the voice inside your head telling you to be careful just before a dream hunt. It's all on you bud.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
Ouch, looks like your wife did a great job. I've don't something similar and I don't think I would have been putting my foot in a hiking boot in two weeks.

How long was your recovery? I don't need a full recovery, I just need to be able to hike on it.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
Tape, advil and time. The formula for success.

Honestly, keep it clean, and avoid any possibility of infection. Taping the toes together will help a lot, says the guy that has busted a few toes. There is a fair chance you can go, but you have to get the skin healed with no infection.

Hoping for the best.

Jeremy

Infection is the major thing I'm worried about. I'll keep an eye on this, and at the very least will go with a full course of Antibiotics in my pack...

OP
T

tdot

WKR
Dang the bad luck. Hope you are a quick healer and get to go....or delay and go weeks or a month later. Less hunters in the hills then anyway and water levels likely will be a lot lower in the streams. Good luck!

So the crazy thing is my wife's work just closed for atleast 28 days due to a Covid outbreak. Probably longer. Her work schedule was defining the timeframe for this hunt. Suddenly I have until atleast Mid-August to make this happen... things are looking up!!

How long was your recovery? I don't need a full recovery, I just need to be able to hike on it.
It was a few years ago so the timeline is a bit blurry. I just know I wouldn't have been going on a backpack hunt in the next couple weeks. I do remember adding extra padding to the tape around my toe and wearing thicker than normal socks to pad each step. That was probably around week 3. I think full recovery was 4-5 weeks.

leoni1

FNG
Nice to see that you have bought yourself some time.

I live along the BC border (Jasper, AB) and hunt bighorn every year. I can tell you that looking for reasons NOT to go will not play well into your psyche when you DO end up going. Think positive, be smart, work hard and get after it if you are driven to do so.

Couple points:

Stream flow will typically drop as summer progresses toward fall, unless substantial rain or heat (glacier melt if your creeks are glacier fed) occur. In Alberta we have an awesome app called AB RIVERS that shows current and historical flow rates for most rivers and even many tributaries. Might be worth looking at whether BC has something similar.

A one-man sheep hunt is a big undertaking, especially in remote wilderness. Make a plan, carry an in-reach, and be conservative and smart out there.

Carrying a deboned sheep, gear, cape, horns and rifle is a crazy-heavy if done alone and in one push. Even splitting the weight between two can be a tough challenge. Again, have a plan.

BTW: is your wife a nurse or physician? Those look better than the stitches that I place, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Infection is the major thing I'm worried about. I'll keep an eye on this, and at the very least will go with a full course of Antibiotics in my pack...

Choose antibiotics carefully. Stay away from Fluoroquinolones. Two common ones are Levequin and Cipro.

While good antibiotics, they can cause tendon ruptures as a side effect. It's a big issue for runners, and likewise a bit of a problem for hikers/backpackers/hunters.

Jeremy

npm352

WKR
Challenges make the hunt more rewarding. I am not saying that that toe looks like fun because it looks super painful, but it will be worth it when you stand over your sheep.