Ever find a trail camera?

cnelk

WKR
Anyone ever found a trail camera while scouting/hunting?

What did you do?

Check the SD card?
Do jumping jacks in front of it?
Leave it alone?

(Pic is my trail camera for reference to the thread)

9ADF1A1A-4FBC-4A02-880E-65149FFBCBC8.jpeg

I found one in Nevada in August, and left it alone, but called Nevada Department of Wildlife when I returned to cell phone range. They were banned from usage after August 1 that year. I never knew what happened to it after that.

Even though it was illegal, I left it alone as it was not my business or duty to make things right. However, here in Nevada, there are a lot of reports of game cameras being stolen. There were 10 stolen from a single watering hole this month all at once. I am guessing it was NDOW who did it, as from July 1, any camera that transmitts a signal is banned.

kopecsean

FNG
Are they illegal in Nev? I make classic stalking manuevers for fun.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am putting some out tomorrow for the first time on public land. I hope they dont get stolen. I have fond a few while out.

Are they illegal in Nev?

Yes sir.

NAC 503.1485  Use of trail camera or similar device: Restrictions; exceptions. (NRS 501.105, 501.181)

1.  Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, a person shall not place, maintain or use a trail camera or similar device:

(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b), at any time during the period beginning August 1 and ending December 31 of each year.

(b) At any time during the period beginning July 1 and ending December 31 of each year if the trail camera or similar device transmits, or is capable of transmitting, images, video or location data of wildlife.

(c) At any time if the placement, maintenance or use of the trail camera or similar device prevents wildlife from accessing, or alters the manner in which wildlife accesses, a spring, water source or artificial basin which is used by wildlife and collects, or is designed and constructed to collect, water.

2.  The provisions of subsection 1 do not apply to:

(a) A person who is acting within the scope of his or her official duties, has clearly marked each trail camera or similar device to be used to indicate ownership and is:

(1) An employee or authorized agent of this State;

(2) An employee or authorized agent of a municipal or county government of this State; or

(3) An employee or authorized agent of the Federal Government.

(b) A person who places, maintains or uses the trail camera or similar device with approval from the Department.

(c) A person who places, maintains, or uses a trail camera or similar device on private property with the permission of the landowner.

(d) A person who places, maintains or uses a trail camera or similar device to monitor the use by livestock of any water source described in paragraph (c) of subsection 1 if the owner of the trail camera or similar device is the holder of a permit to appropriate water issued by the State Engineer for the purpose of watering livestock.

3.  As used in this section, “trail camera or similar device” means any device which is not held or manually operated by a person and is used to capture images, video or location data of wildlife using heat or motion to trigger the device.

(Added to NAC by Bd. of Wildlife Comm’rs by R012-16, eff. 5-16-2018)

From my understanding, it was getting ridiculous. People were selling the information online in real time. Kinda ruins the whole fair chase thing if you ask me.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Found a few smiled at most bugled at some and checked sd card on one that was way back in nothing good and on a spot that made no sense

P Carter

WKR
One time I left my business card and cell phone number, with a note saying that I was putting a cam up too and to call to potentially coordinate hunts, had a good call with the guy, exchanged pictures, made sure we weren’t hunting the same time, overall a very good interaction. Another time someone stole my sd card on a cam that had been out all winter, which made me quite angry.

Elkangle

WKR
Was just setting up a camera yesterday...was getting the angles just rite, doing the walk by testing..decided to move it one last time and walked rite into another guys camera that was taking pictures of me the entire time...so i pulled his card, deleted the dumb photos of me and put it back just the way I found it

Wapiti1

WKR
Wave, note the location, and keep going.

One thing that I have noted with most of the ones that I have seen was that they were in "there are no animals here" spots.

My encounters are rare since you are supposed to pull them prior to season in MT and that is where I hunt every year. The couple that I've found after the opener I turned off. I don't check the cards, I already know where the elk are.

Jeremy

I’ve found a few. Marked the spots and kept on walking. One was in a good elky spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
One time I left my business card and cell phone number, with a note saying that I was putting a cam up too and to call to potentially coordinate hunts, had a good call with the guy, exchanged pictures, made sure we weren’t hunting the same time, overall a very good interaction. Another time someone stole my sd card on a cam that had been out all winter, which made me quite angry.

The first part is a great story and reassures me that there are still ethical sports folks out there. Good on you.

The second part is, sadly, more typical. I've had many cameras stolen here in Indiana. The worst part is that mine are on private property. Since, I've gotten really good at hiding them, or putting them out of normal sight or reach. I do have a couple of fun revenge stories too, but that is for another thread.

Jeremy

Jackpot

FNG
Are you guys using some sort of SD card to iPhone adapter or something to be able to read the SD cards out in the field?