Ever gotten sick right before a hunt

Lawnboi

WKR
A couple weeks ago I had a scouting trip planned. Got sick and still went.

All said and done im sitting home now, iv got bronchitis, and ill be heading out elk hunting in a week. Going back in for another dose of antibiotics tomorrow as the first round didnt do much.

Ill say, as a flatlander, ill NEVER go into the mountains sick again. I started feeling better when we arrived. Took a day of not doing much to help with the altitude and off we went.

Due to congestion it was almost instant altitude sickness, dropped down, felt like dieing. The next 5 days all sucked, lost 10 lbs, and at only 145 and all muscle that didnt do me any good.

Now ill be going hunting, light on weight, and possibly still crippled cardio wise due to bronchitis. I have a feeling im going to have to take it really slow.

Its irritating to be healthy all year long, preparing for these few weeks, then to get sick and have all that prep go down the toilet.

Anyone else ever been sick right before season before? And did it change your hunting stratagies?

Gotta vent a little, it wouldn't be so bad if I didnt have to be at 10,000+ feet

littlebuf

Banned
Not sick but last weekend I tweaked my back and could barely walk. Talk about pissed. Luckily being in good shape I've been able to recover quickly with a regiment of ice, stretching and massage ( great wife) and I'm just about 100% with a week to go before I leave. But I feel your pain, sickness s or injury right before September is one of my biggest fears. Stay positive and remember sometime slowing down a little up there can create its own opettunity

Renoit24

FNG
My cousin is going through the same problem. He gas been sick for the last two weeks and seems like he has a few weeks to recover. We are scheduled to head up to Colorado on September 6th. I'm hoping he is able to pull through in time. Hang in there and hopefully you still come out successful.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Thankfully I have been in the area quite a bit and know where I want to hunt. Had my first trip out there been this last one when I was sick, I would have zero confidence in myself.

OR Archer

WKR
Not sick before but did get sick on my hunt last year. Made the first two days freaking miserable. Luckily I had some medicine in my pack that helped ease me through the hunt.

switchback270

Lil-Rokslider
if you havent already, get to a dr. or medexpress and get some z-pacs and codeine cough syrup. i had bronchitis and that stuff cured me in a week.

Buster

WKR
As the season gets closer, I sleep less and less. Usually I'm a 6 hour sleeper, but with opening day being less than a week away, I'm down to maybe 4 1/2. Same thing happens every year, I catch a cold either just before or just after the opener. I'm doing everything I can to prevent it, but I'm also planning hunts around it.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I never really get sick but a few years back I tore a couple ligaments in my right ankle a couple days before the high hunt. (damn basketball)

I ended up getting a really good brace and going on the hunt. We hiked ten miles to camp on that trip and my ankle really hurt for about the first two miles. After that it warmed up pretty good and wasn't too bad. The part that really sucked was trying to side hill. I could barely do it at all.

I try not to risk injury right before hunting season now.