Ever had a .010 pin issue while on a hunt?

dydetert

FNG
After the previous season I decided to try out a few new sights and my eyes seem to like the .010 pins. However, I have been stuck shooting indoors as I live in WI and not in real life field situations. I am currently running a 4 pin with 20/40 at .019 and 60/80 at .010, but considering going to all .010.

I'm curious as to if anyone that shoots .010 pins has ever had a situation where they felt that the pins took them out of a shot that they would have otherwise had in the field? It doesn't seem likely to me, but just wanted to stoke the debate if nothing else.

I have not. I have .19 for 20-50 and .10 on my mover pin. But I kinda think of like this, if it’s super low light and your going to shoot something close range out of stand, having a larger pin is not going to hurt your accuracy and will be easier to see. So it’s probably the better option. Is it legal for you to use a battery powered sight light? If so you can go that route.

Marble

WKR
I prefer the smaller for all my pins.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

In low light I have had more trouble from a bigger/brighter pin than a smaller one.

When you can hardly see your target a bright pin drowns it out pretty good.

CJF

WKR
I’ve only shot ten thou. for the last 15 years or so. Never regretted it....Caveat: I always have a light available.

ahlgringo

WKR
Buddy passed a shot on a bull here in CO (no lights) cause he couldn’t see his .01 pin in last light. Looked through mine (0.019) and could still see and theoretically would have taken that shot. Both newer spott hogs

He now has a 0.019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
In low light I have had more trouble from a bigger/brighter pin than a smaller one.

When you can hardly see your target a bright pin drowns it out pretty good.
I agree. I still run a .19 top pin for dark timber low light situations but my other 3 pins are .10

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I just got one of my 7-pin Spot Hogg's back after replacing the bottom three .010" pins with .019's. I've lost those small pins even on 3D shoots. Before I sent this head back, I'd hold the sight up to look through it and it appeared like those bottom three pins had lost their fiber compared to the .019's........and that was with light in the room. Even .019's are tough at times near dark. In 2018 I had a big bull at 40 yards broadside right near last light. At full draw I couldn't even see my .019's to line them up for a shot and passed. That was the last day of the season.

kpk

WKR
I run .019 on 20 and 30. 40 and beyond is .010 and I've never had an issue.

I can't use 0.010 pins in most light conditions outside, much less hunting. Took the two I had on the BG Ascent off...replaced them with with 0.019" pins. I'm older...and wiser.

OP
D

dydetert

FNG
Interesting replies. I think I might leave my configuration as is or potentially replace my second pin with a .010. I have young eyes and am running green pins, which in my opinion are the easiest to see. Also lighted sight is legal in Wi, but illegal in Co where I also hunt.

I have a black gold ascent with .01 pin and have had no issues. I do use a sight light when hunting and I think it’s really beneficial