Ever had someone mess with your base camp while out?

sk1

WKR
ah ok, well at least you found it......would suck if you didn't realize the wind blew it over the next ridge and left it for a thief to eventually get

cottonwoods are awesome, and some good animals, but man it gets hiked hard

OP
I

IZZY

FNG
IZZY for Arizona hunting down south be much more careful. I have had encounters with several illegals in and around my camp and it took grabbing the nearest border patrol guy to get them out of the area. I don't think it happens to much in other areas of the country, but I am more concerned about my rig getting broke into while at the trailhead and I am gone for 5 to 8 days.

In Arizona, the illegals will take what they can. Here is a picture of the Border Patrol rounding up the guys near my camp....They all scattered with the trucks, but didn't get far when the helicopter came in and corralled them. I only saw 3 near my camp, but there were about 15 total. I would bet they would have taken everything I had if I didn't show up.

DSC01001.jpg

Rosinbag, I hear you on the illegals...I am an FLE (not BP) myself, so i know how crazy it can get with those knuckle heads...look at the Brian Terry situation (although there were some department policy that led to that tragedy), I am usually armed, and the one thing I always do is to make sure I recon an area very well before I let my guard down a little...and even then am still on high alert..Never had issues with illegals though, I have never ran into them, but then again, I have only been in AZ since 2010, and I have been deployed now for a year, so not that much experience..hope not to run into any of them...too much paper work at the office...glad to hear that with your situation BP was able to get the bird up and pick up all those idiots rather quickly...

Yeah, back in 2000 i saw only a few hunters....but lots of big bucks. I was fresh off the plane from Tennessee, so learning to hunt muleys was a whole new ball game.

Never really had a problem with it. The worst I have had is a few nervous days in the swamps of NC bear hunting out of a base camp with folks spotlighting at night and running up and down the roads at all hours of the day and night, but that's about it.
In the backcountry I tend to get away from the trails more, and tuck my camp into more secluded spots....or at least try to.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was in 36c in Arizona, only about 5 miles from border near Sasabe. It has gotten so bad they built lookout pits in the mountains to over watch the area with BP and National Gaurd. I now hunt elsewhere in Arixona.

trdhunter

WKR
Never had any problems during the hunt or while packed in. My dad and I had someone steal all of our gas cans and over a hundred dollars worth of gas from camp during the summer while we were out ridding 4 wheelers. Talked to lots of people after and learned it was a common problem in the area that summer. Next time we went up we had gas cans full of water, which would suck to dump in your truck or atv or whatever.