Ever shoot a field round?

Beendare

WKR
Finally some nice weather so I went to the local range and shot a field round. Dang that was humbling...glad I didn't keep score.

I haven't shot much for long shots with this rig...so I had to dial in my holdovers on those 40-80 yd shots. Actually I didn't shoot anything over 65 yds....heck my holdover on a 60 yd target is right at 8 feet....tough on those dark back in the trees targets....nothing to focus on.

Good to shoot some up and down stuff too.

One thing is for sure, after shooting that long stuff....the short stuff is easier.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
That's all there was before 3D shoots.

And it's still excellent practice.

If you can score well on a field round you got your stuff wired pretty tight.

Yeah, no doubt.^
I think most of us setup for close shots....and it makes sense.

I have had situations when following up on a wounded animal that a guy has to stretch his range to get another arrow in that critter. Situations like that its good to know what your holdover is.

One of the things I noticed on those long shots is my release can be a bigger variable than I thought....a work in progress.

Long bow, recurve, or modern compound, distance really magnifies the weak spots in your form.

If you can shoot a long bow well at distance, your recurve and compound shooting form will be tight.