Everyday winter pants

2blade

WKR
I've been wearing Levi's 501's in the winter time for every day wear. The 12 oz denim insulates just enough to be comfortable shoveling snow or plowing it with the atv and they're not to hot indoors. But man, I get tired of blowing out the crotch every 3 months. My Prana Zions are a little lite for winter without some sort of base layer which I would rather not do.

I thought about maybe getting some Kuiu Attacks in solids, the added lining should provide just enough insulation, but I really don't need zippered back pockets with a flap over the top. I would also prefer to not spend that much for everyday pants.

What do you guys recommend?

I wear Kuiu Attack pants almost daily. Idea fit for CCW and doesn't scream tactical pant. Very comfortable.

I have yet to be disappointed with my Carhartt jeans.
But, I also like full length compression running tights as a base layer with just about anything in colder weather. You just forget you have them on since they're so thin.

OP

2blade

WKR
Wrangler outdoor fleece lined pants from Wal Mart. I have a couple pairs and like them.

ItemB, hows the fit around the waist? True to size, slightly small, or? tks

Jimss

WKR
Carhart jeans wear like iron. They come in a bunch of different thickness's and some are insulated. I use a pair of Carhart insulated pants on coldest days at work. Carhart are relatively inexpensive for the quality of pants.

I wore Kuiu Guide pants this week on a Nebraska deer hunt with a thin baselayer. They were just right when hiking but chilly to cold in the morning when sitting on a hill glassing. If going with Kuiu, I'd likely choose the heaviest pant available plus base layer if doing much sitting when it's below 32 degrees. Sitka has several super cold weather pants options available.

Last edited:
I picked up 4 pair of COSTCO "Weatherproof Vintage" fleece lined jeans at $19/pair last winter, down in US stores (or online in the US). Fit is good, about normal size versus other jeans (better than Wranglers fit me). So far they don't show much wear, and I wore the heck out of them Coues deer hunting last winter, around home, etc. Just did a 2 hour walk in freezing weather and they are about right for that. Only pant I've worn for bird hunting in WA/OR/BC this Oct and Nov as well. They are a bit warm when it is above high 40's and a bit cold without long johns when it is below about 25F, of course wind dependent. I'd rate them about like my old pre-side-zip KUIU attach pants as per warm (although not quite as easy to walk in nor are they DWR treated). Color is a grayish brown that is really decent in my opinion for around town, hunting, etc.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered the E. Bauer guide pro fleece lined pants and my fingers are crossed that I like them. With the discount codes Igot them for like $32!

OP

2blade

WKR
Thanks guys! It appears everyone is out of stock of my size on the EB Pro guides but I'll give it a shot next yr. I did find a pair of the Wranglers so we'll see how they do. Found out that LL Bean also has a pair that might work although I missed the sale.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the EBauer lined guide pants. I've only worn them around the house so far. They are super comfortable and size 32x32 fits my 5' 9", 155 lb, thin frame really well, which is hard to find. I hope they perform well. They sure are comfortable and seem fairly warm. On sale now for about $50

I wear Filson Mackinaw pants and LL Bean wool pants every day in the winter, but we have snow five months of the year too.