everyone be careful with broadheads. My story below

velvetfvr

WKR
Well I was recently bowhunting this past weekend and week for pronghorn here in NV. Well after a busted stalk with me and my brother we started walking back to the truck. It was probably a minute or 2 after the blown stalk and All of a sudden I felt a sharp pain. I knew immediately he got me with his BH. He left the arrow nocked on the bow and didn't realize he was too close to me. So when he took a step forward the broadhead went about a inch into my calf and cutting part of my muscle. So we got the blood flow tied off by tying a tourniquet. Another lesson learned is when you have no service you have NO service. You can't call 911. So we finally got signal and a ambulance was headed to meet us. I did end up with 7 stitches and almost a ruined hunt. I almost sealed the deal on a goat but he wouldn't give me a shot. So I am posting my story to warn everyone to be careful and to watch where your arrow is because it can definitely be alot worse. Pics are below.​
63701ad5-188f-1523.jpg

63701ad5-1897-3032.jpg

63701ad5-189f-1b5d.jpg

sk1

WKR
Dude that could have been so much worse you are VERY lucky although I'm sure it didn't feel like it at the time....definitely glad you're ok and a good reminder to us all to be careful out there

Now I see yet another reason for me to buy a spot2 because accident happen.

Lawnboi

WKR
fyi still call 911 even if you have no service. It will get through in most places (cant speak for NV) At least in my area thats how it works, i sure learned alot when i had to sit in at the dispatch center for fire school

OP
velvetfvr

velvetfvr

WKR
fyi still call 911 even if you have no service. It will get through in most places (cant speak for NV) At least in my area thats how it works, i sure learned alot when i had to sit in at the dispatch center for fire school

We tried when it had no signal. Won't go through.

sk1

WKR
I'm a firefighter and I've never heard that......as far as I know no cell service is no cell service period, or why carry satellite technology for emergencies. I mean it's worth a shot but I wouldn't rely on it to work unless you're familiar with something I don't know about.....or unless it maybe shows up to 911 when they do get in cell service?

OP
velvetfvr

velvetfvr

WKR
I'm a firefighter and I've never heard that......as far as I know no cell service is no cell service period, or why carry satellite technology for emergencies. I mean it's worth a shot but I wouldn't rely on it to work unless you're familiar with something I don't know about.....or unless it maybe shows up to 911 when they do get in cell service?

It was on a iPhone and when i dialed 911 it wouldn't go through. We were shocked that it wouldn't work.

sk1

WKR
It was on a iPhone and when i dialed 911 it wouldn't go through. We were shocked that it wouldn't work.

Why were you shocked that it wouldn't go through with no service?? I guess that's what I would expect but again worth a try because you never know if there is somehow other service in the area that will take a 911 call from any phone. But again if there is truly no service there through anyone it just isn't possible. Am I misinformed and many people expect it to work?? Again if another cell provider has service I expect it to go through but that would be the only way

a3dhunter

WKR
Some cell providers will show no service in an area but your phone may show a red cross symbol, showing that it can reach another cell providers' tower and make emergency calls only. When you try to call out, it will ask if this is an emergency call before going through.
If you actually have no service, the call can not be completed because it can not reach any cell towers.

Lawnboi

WKR
i guess we also have cell towers all over our state. From what i was told emergency calls can work sometimes if your phone is showing no service. Worht a shot atleast.

Bout time to pick up that sattilite messenger huh

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad to hear you are okay! Accidents can happen so fast, glad it was only stitches and not surgery or worse!

trevore

Lil-Rokslider
Man glad it worked out for you. I would have been freaked out for sure. I always put the arrow back in my quiver. I've cut myself before on a broadhead, so I'm really cautious about having them out of the foam.

OP
velvetfvr

velvetfvr

WKR
Glad you are OK bud! Now get that PSE back out there!!

Well the pronghorn eluded me again BUT Friday I head out to unit 16 in NV to chase some giant velvet Muleys. If this would have stuck me 6-8" higher who knows where I would be.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man oh man, you are one lucky guy!!! That is a good reminder for myself..good luck on your continued hunt.

Yukondog

WKR
Happy you are okay. Those type accidents happen so fast. Good reminder to us all to be extra careful with our broadheads.

Matt