Everything 243win.....ammo, barrel lenth, aceessories, how yours is equipt, ect...

I recently picked up a Browning Xbolt 243 composite stalker to semi retire my Dad's model 70 243. I'm useing it on deer and predators if opportunity arises. I'm a big fan of this caliber, growning up I shot, hunted, and learned on this very caliber. I'm getting a leupold vx freedom CDs 3-9×40 tri moa reticle to mount on the new Xbolt. Max range on game I'd be taking would be 400 (if comfort level is there and I can't get closer).
I was just curious what optics, ammo, brands of rifles, you all are running and your good or bad stories using this caliber. Also the distance you are shooting and weather on targets or game. Feel free to pass on some general knowledge on the caliber and if you have any equipment I'm running let me know how it worked for you. As for ammo I have lots of factory stuff 90 to 100gr but I may reload after the major freak out ends so I take that info too (powders primers bullets ect.).
Best shot on game I've seen was my Dad smoking a beer with his 243 running in top gear for a bad Canyon with his 2 top dogs on its ass it was a 250 to 300yd head shot! Amazingly devastating! And that's why he loved it he could put the bullet right were he wanted it. I was always so proud of my father and everything about him and I think him using it and the time we spent together using this caliber is a big part of why I like the 243 calibers so much and it works great on those elusive blacktail. Holler at me.

Jsn_leonard

Lil-Rokslider
Hogue stock, 22” stainless fluted .920 barrel and a Trigger Tech Diamond set at 2.5lbs built off a 700 action with a Vortex Viper 4-16x44. I have a guy on the east coast hand load for me with a Hornady 80gr GMX. Haven’t had a chance to chrono it yet but it’s around 3400 at the muzzle. It’s a sweet setup for Cali blacktails

The Xbolt is a 10 twist so I’d be looking at the 95gr Nosler Ballistic tip or 95gr Berger classic hunter. Powder of choice would be H4350, IMR7828,H1000.

I’m shooting a Tikka T3x Superlite, Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 CDS, Talley lows. It’s a 10 twist. Shooting 87gr Berger VLDH on RL17. If I ever rebarrel, I’ll go with a faster twist. Also using M+ magazines.

Mosby

WKR
Shooting a Sako 243 with a Leupold VX 3, 2.5x8 tomorrow at the range. Bought it for my son when he was a kid for $600. Don't remember the model. Its been a while since we shot it. My son is left handed and it was mint when I found it. We are shooting some old factory Hornady and Remington. Saving premium bullets for hunting. I normally load Barnes TSX or Speer Grand Slam for deer hunting.

Jusgunn3

Lil-Rokslider
Wife shoots a savage 243 in a Boyd’s laminate stock, 80gr TTSX over RL17 ands it’s a tac driver! I want to get one for myself since hers is a small youth stock.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my daughter one in a cheapo Remington 783 a few years ago - factory ammo wasn’t to great but I did finally develop a hand load with 48.3 grains of Superformance and an 80 grain TTSX at 3370fps that shoots sub moa. I had a Sig BDX laying around so I put it on. I ha e never been a .243 fan but the little TTSX has me warming to the caliber, it has accounted for about a dozen deer so far, several of her friends have used it to take their first deer as well. Pic below is an 80 grain TTSX recovered after an iffy shot on a Javelina that turned just at the shot. Bullet went in the right ham and lodged under the skin in front of left shoulder.

Attachments

• 1155B59A-05DB-4DBF-836E-65B57FA1BAA4.jpeg
    1155B59A-05DB-4DBF-836E-65B57FA1BAA4.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 20
OP
PNWRiflemanX
Shooting a Sako 243 with a Leupold VX 3, 2.5x8 tomorrow at the range. Bought it for my son when he was a kid for $600. Don't remember the model. Its been a while since we shot it. My son is left handed and it was mint when I found it. We are shooting some old factory Hornady and Remington. Saving premium bullets for hunting. I normally load Barnes TSX or Speer Grand Slam for deer hunting.
I really liked the sako 243... I was eyeballing a newer model (I believe model 85?) Oh man!, very nice. I went with the Xbolt just cause it feels real good and about half as much cash money. I bet your sako is worth much more than 600 now.

OP
PNWRiflemanX
I bought my daughter one in a cheapo Remington 783 a few years ago - factory ammo wasn’t to great but I did finally develop a hand load with 48.3 grains of Superformance and an 80 grain TTSX at 3370fps that shoots sub moa. I had a Sig BDX laying around so I put it on. I ha e never been a .243 fan but the little TTSX has me warming to the caliber, it has accounted for about a dozen deer so far, several of her friends have used it to take their first deer as well. Pic below is an 80 grain TTSX recovered after an iffy shot on a Javelina that turned just at the shot. Bullet went in the right ham and lodged under the skin in front of left shoulder.
Wow! Nice 🍄.

OP
PNWRiflemanX
The Xbolt is a 10 twist so I’d be looking at the 95gr Nosler Ballistic tip or 95gr Berger classic hunter. Powder of choice would be H4350, IMR7828,H1000.
The new xbolt shot everything I tried pretty darn good. So far I have 31 rounds through it and really like everything about it. I actually have a stock pile of factory nosler 90gr I'm debating on hunting with this year as it's shot quite well. The Hornady factory eldx 90 grain (only shot 3rds at 100 yards) was very tight and will be further investigated. Thanks for the intel

Mosby

WKR
I really liked the sako 243... I was eyeballing a newer model (I believe model 85?) Oh man!, very nice. I went with the Xbolt just cause it feels real good and about half as much cash money. I bet your sako is worth much more than 600 now.
If I was buying a new factory rifle right now, it would probably be a Browning. I like the feel of them too.

When Cabela's was still owned by the family, I use to be able to find some really nice used rifles. It was a good buy when I got it because it is hard to find nice left handed rifles. At today's prices it was a steal.

Trapperkid

Lil-Rokslider
Ik this is an old thread but I also have grown up with and around 243 I love the thing I’m shooting a 95 sst and it makes hole bigger than a lot of bigger calibers I’ve seen I also shoot through the shoulder so that may have something to do with it but I love seeing them drop. I recently bought a tikka in 243 for my graduation gift and I love it I can not wait to be able to buy and mount a scope onto it to start slaying more deer

shmtastic

FNG
Remage with a McGowan 8 twist, MC3 hunting stock, vortex viper 2.5-10, basic timney 512 due my Calvin Elite going belly up, have to find time to send it back in. I shoot 95 NBTs for hunting. It's a fun and accurate gun for sure

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is my dedicated varmint rifle. I haven’t shot any big game with a .243 since the mid 90’s.

Kimber 84m with a 2.5-8x36 leupold in Talley lows. Shooting a 80 grain ttsx at 3400+ FPS into 1/2” groups.

55ec35cd651f349b33b8b74b03c3f2a4.jpg

I grew up shooting a .243 and my wife shoots one now. Howa 1500 “ranchhand” with 20” pencil barrel and a Houge overmold stock I cut down the LOP for her and a VX-3 2.5-8 in Talley LW rings.

She’s taken a couple deer with the factory ELDX loads and they have performed very well. I have a few hundred 95gr nosler BTs I’ll start load development with shortly. I’ll probably use H4350 or Staball as I have a good stock of those powders.

On the scope choice I the OP:
I mounted a VX Freedom CDS scope for my step dad and was very underwhelmed with the quality compared to the VX-3 line for just a little more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got an older savage 110 .243 with a Burris fullfield II 3x9 that shoots nosler 95 gr partitions over h100v under moa consistently. My wife has taken a few deer and couple of antelope with it and all were drt with one shot. In the summer it shoots 60 gr Sierra hollow points over h414 quite accurately as well and is explosive on rock chucks. Great versatile caliber to have laying around.

Attachments

• CE46BD3A-3E2E-41FC-AA54-C3ABED870025.jpeg
    CE46BD3A-3E2E-41FC-AA54-C3ABED870025.jpeg
    339.2 KB · Views: 6