Ewe Hunts

Ratbeetle

WKR
What are the thoughts on ewe hunts? Anyone just decide it's not worth it banking points and praying for a ram tag that you may never see?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did a ewe hunt last year in Nevada for Nielson desert sheep. A sheep tag is probably the only way anyone experiences most of that country. I'm sure I'd die before ever touching an actual Desert ram tag. I'd do it again without a doubt except the cost is steep. Typically the sheep tags are the same price ram or ewe so non resident fees can add up quick.
cf24766146b0796f5d9e259285ff5fc3.jpg

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...share_tid=108251&share_fid=45046&share_type=t

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
I did a ewe hunt last year in Nevada for Nielson desert sheep. A sheep tag is probably the only way anyone experiences most of that country. I'm sure I'd die before ever touching an actual Desert ram tag. I'd do it again without a doubt except the cost is steep. Typically the sheep tags are the same price ram or ewe so non resident fees can add up quick.
cf24766146b0796f5d9e259285ff5fc3.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Awesome, thanks for sharing. At the end of the day, maybe you don't have that big full curl ram on the wall, but you're still sheep hunting right!

ZachB

Lil-Rokslider
Did one with my bud last season and had a blast. I lf you're looking for a sheep hunting experience and want to get in sheep country go for it. Definitely putting in for ewe in Nevada this year. After we shot she fell off a cliff about 150ft and snapped both horns on the roll down. Was a pain but didn’t have to pack it out as far. Got to pack it whole to the Jeep. 💪🏼2D609892-400D-44B7-98B6-FF272540A9FC.jpeg

EastMT

WKR
dd08ff922db92c45e79977b7a43e0db6.jpg

One of my favorite and toughest hunts, solo, hot, dry, amazing! The hard part is looking at 190+ rams and looking for the ewes.

These are put up for a purpose, population control to try and prevent catastrophic diseases to the local herds. You are having a blast and helping manage the herds for future large rams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuzzH

WKR
About like killing a doe deer or doe pronghorn. Shot a ewe bighorn years ago in Montana when you could draw them pretty easily as a second choice.

buzz89sheep.JPG

My Dad shot one several years back, also in Montana, while on a waiting period from drawing a ram tag. IIRC, he shot it wearing a pair of slippers. He did put his boots on to help drag it to the truck.

195.JPG

I can say for 100% certain, I'll never kill another ewe bighorn again. Meat is just OK, nothing special IMO.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
About like killing a doe deer or doe pronghorn. Shot a ewe bighorn years ago in Montana when you could draw them pretty easily as a second choice.

buzz89sheep.JPG

My Dad shot one several years back, also in Montana, while on a waiting period from drawing a ram tag. IIRC, he shot it wearing a pair of slippers. He did put his boots on to help drag it to the truck.

195.JPG

I can say for 100% certain, I'll never kill another ewe bighorn again. Meat is just OK, nothing special IMO.
I was a bit worried my hunt would be too easy but I shouldn't have. I could have killed plenty of rams on that hunt had I had a tag. I definitely wouldn't compare it to a doe antelope hunt. Guess like any adventure the variables matter. If the end trophy is all that matters it's doubtful a ewe will scratch that itch. Maybe sheep hunts are hard when your looking for that special ram and grind away to find him? I took it as an opportunity to see what was on the other of a mountain I wouldn't see other wise and it didn't disappoint.

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
I was a bit worried my hunt would be too easy but I shouldn't have. I could have killed plenty of rams on that hunt had I had a tag. I definitely wouldn't compare it to a doe antelope hunt. Guess like any adventure the variables matter. If the end trophy is all that matters it's doubtful a ewe will scratch that itch. Maybe sheep hunts are hard when your looking for that special ram and grind away to find him? I took it as an opportunity to see what was on the other of a mountain I wouldn't see other wise and it didn't disappoint.

Yeah, I imagine it can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be. The hunt I'm planning won't be done in slippers. ;)

cmahoney

WKR
Looking forward to drawing the tag, I’m sure it will be an adventure just like any new hunt in a new place.

BuzzH

WKR
I probably shouldn't compare them to a doe pronghorn hunt, depending on the area, a doe pronghorn hunt can be more challenging.

No question on the meat quality, pronghorn is way better.

Ewe bighorn is about like a doe mule deer for meat quality. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing special about it either.

I think its great though, to hunt a ewe once if you really don't think a ram tag is attainable. Better than not hunting sheep at all.

EastMT

WKR
My ewe was 90 deg, 16hours, 8 hours was without water. I’m sure there are some easy areas, but that’s not even fun. That hunt was tougher physically than the goat and sheep hunts I do now.

So dehydrated I was swinging my legs like a pirate leaning on my poles, didn’t want to spend the night because the meat might spoil. I’d do it tomorrow if I could leave these Alaska animals alone.

I get points yearly for sheep, deer, antelope. One of these years I’m going to go all in, try for a trifecta on a 3 week vacation.

Fun times for me and it’s all I wanted. Hunt sheep country with a tag in my pocket. I hope I’ll get a Rocky Ram tag someday but in the event I don’t, I’ve at least been in bow range of some real nice rams and I’ve taken the species home.

Attachments

• 6C35FB98-D2BF-42C4-A7F6-46714DE7847A.jpeg
    6C35FB98-D2BF-42C4-A7F6-46714DE7847A.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 110

MtGomer

WKR
No question on the meat quality, pronghorn is way better.QUOTE]

Take this as opinion.

My opinion is that the bighorn ewe I killed was the second best meat I’ve ever had only to dall sheep and although different, about tied with moose tenderloin. But I don’t care for antelope either.

The hunt wasn’t hard compared to what you think of when you think sheep hunting but it wasn’t any easier than most deer hunts people go on

My ewe was from western MT. Buzz, looks like yours was from western MT though too? I would think theyd taste a little better than a breaks or Nevada ewe.

BFA6E680-FD82-4F37-A711-3E9EB493A26F.jpeg

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Once my kids are out of college, I’m going to take my giant pile of Montana points and use them on a ewe tag. I like sheep hunting and odds are NOT good for me to draw a ram tag with 20+ points.

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
Once my kids are out of college, I’m going to take my giant pile of Montana points and use them on a ewe tag. I like sheep hunting and odds are NOT good for me to draw a ram tag with 20+ points.

I don't blame you. It is depressing to look over draw reports and find unit after unit with guys having 15+ points continue to not draw. Point creep just gets worse and as a recent Western resident and a newcomer to the points game, I'm not slinging a fat stack of points. I might be 60 before I ever draw a ram.

As a resident it's a no brainer

As a non resident I find the opportunity cost too much.

For the literal cost of a ewe hunt a guy could go hunt NZ for a month..

The he other part that I've found is that in general mule deer can be found as a whole in "better" alpine areas then sheep.

I won't list bighorn ewe tags, but maybe 2 of them really get you on exclusive mountains that a guy wouldn't be able to hunt with archery tackle and mule deer early season 10 days above bushline.

Then again if mutton is your thing have at it, but I gotta question a guy who says antelope tastes bad.

Available in North America meats listed best to worst IMHO.

Excellent:
Moose
Sitka black tail
Antelope
Elk

Backstraps are good, gotta know how to cook the rest:

Mountain goat
Mule deer
Coues deer
Whitetail
Feral goat
Sheep
Barbary sheep

I'd squeeze in chamois right below blacktail, stag below elk.

Axis above elk, same with fallow

Oryx just below moose

Sika same as elk

kudu below elk

Same with impala.

Not a sheep fan so mouflon same as wild NA sheep.

Rusa above mtn goat.

Biltong anything is good but wildebeest Was great.

Anybody had: Roe deer? How about asiatic buffalo, any of the true ibex species? Curious about muntjac. I would assume that most of the African antelope species taste fairly much the same.