Ewe Hunts

EastMT

WKR
I live here also, hunt everthing as well. Hoping for a good goat or sheep tag this year again, but probably HT.

I respect your opinion but my ewe hunt is still one of my favorites, I’ve drawn DCUA sheep tag, loved it, drawn several goat tags, loved it.

But there is something about being in amongst those giant Montana rams, with or without a tag. Yes it will never compare with a breaks ram for the adrenaline, or the remoteness of the DCUA above a glacier, but I have a fondness for high desert, nasty country.

I’ll be blowing $1250 on another ewe tag shortly I liked it so much.

Sheep.jpg
So I ended up putting in for a ewe tag and I do not have one regret about it. I was hunting a unit that also had great elk hunting and had one of the most fun hunts. It was a true spot and stalk hunt in some pretty steep and rocky country. I ended up shooting her on Sep 11th at 46 yards strait down a rockslide right before dark. The meat in my opinion is better than elk. The whole family loves to eat it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. My wife and I also have a plan to move to Alaska in the next couple years so we can get our rams then. In my opinion if you want a sheep hunt in sheep country, I wouldn't wait for a ram tag.

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
View attachment 146587
So I ended up putting in for a ewe tag and I do not have one regret about it. I was hunting a unit that also had great elk hunting and had one of the most fun hunts. It was a true spot and stalk hunt in some pretty steep and rocky country. I ended up shooting her on Sep 11th at 46 yards strait down a rockslide right before dark. The meat in my opinion is better than elk. The whole family loves to eat it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. My wife and I also have a plan to move to Alaska in the next couple years so we can get our rams then. In my opinion if you want a sheep hunt in sheep country, I wouldn't wait for a ram tag.

Fantastic. I have no regrets about using my points for a ewe tag and plan to put in for the same hunt again in another year or two. The experience is the same, the country is the same and the meat is the same.

It's funny, I actually found it easier to locate legal rams in stalkable country than it was to find the ewes.

The experience of being in the high country with sheep, bow in hand, every 2-3 years is worth the trade off of a ram for me.

lonedave

WKR
I managed to draw a permit here in Washington this year and thought I'd make it a little tougher on myself, so I carried my Thompson Center Seneca muzzleloader. It was a really fun hunt and she'll be on the wall soon next to the ram I took in the same unit 5 years ago.

IMG_2737.jpg

Wyoming Nimrod

Lil-Rokslider
Fun times for me and it’s all I wanted. Hunt sheep country with a tag in my pocket. I hope I’ll get a Rocky Ram tag someday but in the event I don’t, I’ve at least been in bow range of some real nice rams and I’ve taken the species home.
Any tips for archery ewe? I have a tag here in Wyoming will likely focus on the archery season (8/15-31) because the rifle season is during prime elk hunting time…. Relatively new to archery btw…

I was lucky enough to draw a ewe tag this year as a second choice in CO so I get to keep building points toward the chance at a ram and still get to hunt sheep in sheep country this year!

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
I was lucky enough to draw a ewe tag this year as a second choice in CO so I get to keep building points toward the chance at a ram and still get to hunt sheep in sheep country this year!

What unit?