Ewe Hunts

BuzzH

WKR
I don't blame you. It is depressing to look over draw reports and find unit after unit with guys having 15+ points continue to not draw. Point creep just gets worse and as a recent Western resident and a newcomer to the points game, I'm not slinging a fat stack of points. I might be 60 before I ever draw a ram.

Sheep draws have been like that since the 1960's and the fat stack of points doesn't mean a whole lot either. People wayyyyy over value their points, in particular bonus points. I have 19 in Wyoming as a resident, in a preference point state, and I'm on the bubble to draw this year.

Fat stacks of points mean wayyy less than a fat wallet if sheep hunting is in your future.

Shooting ewes is fine, but its not the same as hunting rams, IMO.

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
Sheep draws have been like since the 1960's and the fat stack of points doesn't mean a whole lot either. People wayyyyy over value their points, in particular bonus points. I have 19 in Wyoming as a resident, in a preference point state, and I'm on the bubble to draw this year.

Fat stacks of points mean wayyy less than a fat wallet if sheep hunting is in your future.

I agree 100%. Ram would be way more exciting, i saw 6 huge rams before I finally found the ewes and it was awesome. Then you have to make sure it’s a ewe. That’s a little nerve wracking waiting for the perfect view even though you think the horns ID it as a ewe. But zero bighorn hunts vs a ewe hunt=easy choice.

I was a resident last round, the tag was $75, now as a NR it’s $1250. As soon as my boy is a bit bigger I think that’s what I’ll do. Head south after Alaska August hunts, a nice father son DIY backpack in, see some big rams, let him catch the fever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
Sheep draws have been like that since the 1960's and the fat stack of points doesn't mean a whole lot either. People wayyyyy over value their points, in particular bonus points. I have 19 in Wyoming as a resident, in a preference point state, and I'm on the bubble to draw this year.

That is exactly my point. The draw results tell the tale. Guys with 20 years in the game still don't draw. Since I'm not already heavily invested in the process, why continue to waste years applying?

In a typical year, CO sees 12k+ resident applications for about 250 tags. Last year's fiasco saw that increase to 23k! Who knows what this year's changes will bring. I think we'll end up somewhere in between. But no matter what, every year that pool of guys with 3+ points grows while the number of tags doesn't.

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
I agree 100%. Ram would be way more exciting, i saw 6 huge rams before I finally found the ewes and it was awesome. Then you have to make sure it’s a ewe. That’s a little nerve wracking waiting for the perfect view even though you think the horns ID it as a ewe. But zero bighorn hunts vs a ewe hunt=easy choice.

I was a resident last round, the tag was $75, now as a NR it’s $1250. As soon as my boy is a bit bigger I think that’s what I’ll do. Head south after Alaska August hunts, a nice father son DIY backpack in, see some big rams, let him catch the fever.

Sounds like a good plan.

You know what really sucks? I have family in AK but unfortunately for me, uncles and cousins don't count under the second degree of kindred rule. Sucks to be me!

BuzzH

WKR
That is exactly my point. The draw results tell the tale. Guys with 20 years in the game still don't draw. Since I'm not already heavily invested in the process, why continue to waste years applying?

In a typical year, CO sees 12k+ resident applications for about 250 tags. Last year's fiasco saw that increase to 23k! Who knows what this year's changes will bring. I think we'll end up somewhere in between. But no matter what, every year that pool of guys with 3+ points grows while the number of tags doesn't.

Guys that have been applying for 50 years don't draw...but every year a bunch of people do.

I don't have any trouble with applying for a ewe tag on a second choice, or during a waiting period. But, every year that you apply and draw a ewe tag, is one less year/chance at a ram tag. Not worth it IMO as you only get so many chances to apply in your life. The chances of drawing a ram tag when you apply for a first choice ewe tag lowers your odds to ZERO.

That's what you have to weigh when you apply for a ewe permit, is shooting a ewe worth giving up the chance at a ram tag?

For some it is, others not so much.

You know what really sucks? I have family in AK but unfortunately for me, uncles and cousins don't count under the second degree of kindred rule. Sucks to be me!

Very true. I was born and raised up there. Now that I'm a non-resident, I suddenly lost all of my knowledge and bushcraft and need a "real" Alaskan to hold my hand.

I am trying to decide the same thing right now. I am a resident of Montana and I only have 3 sheep points. I am trying to decide on getting a ewe tag while I am young and keep applying for a ram tag after I draw a ewe tag.

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
Guys that have been applying for 50 years don't draw...but every year a bunch of people do.

I don't have any trouble with applying for a ewe tag on a second choice, or during a waiting period. But, every year that you apply and draw a ewe tag, is one less year/chance at a ram tag. Not worth it IMO as you only get so many chances to apply in your life. The chances of drawing a ram tag when you apply for a first choice ewe tag lowers your odds to ZERO.

That's what you have to weigh when you apply for a ewe permit, is shooting a ewe worth giving up the chance at a ram tag?

For some it is, others not so much.

Well that's what is great about our system, we are all free to go after what appeals most to us. A heavy, broomed ram would be awesome for sure...but for me it just isn't worth sitting on the sidelines for the better part of two decades to achieve.

Besides, there is always the unlimiteds.

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a CO ewe tag as second choice in 2012. Nice hunt and some skill developed to identify ewes from yearling rams in a herd. I also spent time attempting to find a ewe with longer horns and that can add challenge to the hunt. Neat mountain hunt and would do again in a heartbeat. In 2013 I harvested an Aoudad ram in TX on free range draw hunt but have not drawn a bighorn ram tag. Free range aoudad in NM might be an option to consider.

EastMT

WKR
I def have an aoudad Hunt on the list. I’ve talked to a couple about DIY free range trespass hunts, but they seem to want you to return to the HQ daily, seems like a lot of wasted time to return every night.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
For me here is the really rough quick cost break down.

Hunting a Ak dall on federal land concession - 25kish all in minus travel
Hunting a BC stone - 45kish all in minus travel

Applying in NV for a cali tag. for 20 years. - 170 year x 20 = 3400

Even if i can manage to pull a ram tag in a state. I'm going to hire an outfitter. Lets just say 14 day hunt 8500.
I'm simply not going to risk not filling a tag with a decent ram because I don't have any time to go scout for 2 weeks in the summer to fill a ram tag in the fall.

so the NV tag that I have been applying to get for 20 years now costs 11,900. 20 years of my time I don't even know how to put a number on this.

Assume I apply in all 11 states in the year for a ram tag at an average cost of 210 x 11 states x 20 years. = 46,200

I could have gone and hunting a Dall a decade and spent the same.

Or watched sheep show auctions for Govenors tags that dont sell sky high.

So I apply but F the points system as a non res. If i can just by a sheep somewhere I'm realistically money and effort ahead. IMO the points game is a joke. Magnified by 10 if your starting now. Yea there is a 0.1% chance in 20 years I could pull 11 tags but that's not even close to a reality.

The only way the math starts to work for the points system is if you are applying for all the species of sheep and goats on the same license every year.

So at the end of the day if your trying to sheep hunt with a light weight wallet a ewe hunt is a great way to get out there for a very reduced cost.

Last edited:
OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
How did your hunt go?? I'm looking at drawing a ewe tag this year and am trying to figure out a fun unit

Didn't connect but I had a great time. Plenty of sheep, I just couldn't close the distance with my bow. If you end up drawing shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

Rowdy

FNG
I am trying to decide the same thing right now. I am a resident of Montana and I only have 3 sheep points. I am trying to decide on getting a ewe tag while I am young and keep applying for a ram tag after I draw a ewe tag.
Mike, I was slightly younger than you hanging out in our little Montana hometown sporting good store just after permits came out, I remember an older gentleman coming in saying he'd just drawn a bighorn sheep tag. His words were "I've been applying all my life for a sheep permit and isn't that just my damn luck I'd draw it when I'm 65, my knees are shot and I don't get around too well anymore". In less than a year I was living in Alaska chomping at the bit to become an Alaska resident after my one year wait. I've only killed six rams in that time myself but I've witnessed a pile of others shot by friends and family. I go every year hoping to connect with one just bigger than my last or something unique in horn formation I've never taken. I've only missed two sheep seasons in all my time up here. I know some guys will say a ewe is still a sheep and that they're truly just a meat hunter first, but it ain't the same and it never will be. Nobody sits around a campfire and talks about the ewe they shot. The point system is the worst thing they ever came up with especially for a young guy. I can't honestly say how much money I've spent directly for sheep hunting but it's a lot, for me anyway, and I wouldn't take a nickel of it back in trade for the experiences I've had.