Ewe vs Young Ram

I'll be tagging along on a ewe hunt this fall and have been doing a bit of research on identifying a ewe vs a young ram.
Nevada has a nice PowerPoint presentation
Which I'm not smart enough to attach but can be found by googling
"Nevada ewe vs ram"
Are there other resources that I've missed?
Stoked for the opportunity to be part of my first sheep hunt.

I've been looking into it a lot as well. I have an archery ewe hunt this year. Seems it comes down to ewes having elongated blockier heads, narrow horn base, horns aren't as swept back, less muscular than young rams, and no rocky mountain oysters.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I drew a ewe tag in Nevada and that power point was about the best collection of information complied that i personally found.
In short there is only one way to be 100%
e2404e4ecfbcd9447bf98eb6edcbad35.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Ratbeetle

WKR
CPW has a pretty good video series on their website.

Legend

WKR
I was so scared I almost let her walk and ate my tag. After a lot of looking she stopped and took a piss. I wasn't sure until then.

npm352

WKR
I hunted ewe in Montana. They said in their regs (not sure if they still do) that it was like a $30,000 fine for shooting a ram. Idk if they would enforce it at that level for a mistake, but I was not about to find out. I found mine bedded at 80 yards and was sure she was a female. I still decided to jump her and watch her run away. Once I was sure there was no swinging sack, I shot her running away.

I saw the NV presentation and slides recently and thought it was really helpful as far as looking at them and their horn bases and other indicators.

slick

WKR
2867a7d1aa8c2ddcdb11e8101308d2ee.jpg

To me there’s not even a close similarity, but I have had the good fortune to spend lots of time in sheep country. My advice, don’t shoot the first one you see and enjoy watching them while you’re in their territory. You look over enough of them it becomes pretty evident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted a MT ewe in the rut, so I just waited for a Ram to sniff her ass, then shot her. Pretty fun time and would love to do it again someday. Best of luck!

I went in Montana last year and spent a few nights looking online at pictures. The first ewes I saw I was nervous they could be young rams so we didn't shoot and they ended up getting spooked and took off. A few miles later and a couple drainages over we found the 3 sheep again the ram was trying to mount them so at that point I was sure. The next few days I saw a ton more sheep and it was obvious which ones were young rams and ewes. Another thing to note is make sure the ewe isn't with a lamb.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Looking at random photos. Is this a young ram, or a ewe? Can't see the belly spot because of the shedding hair. Horn bases seem somewhat wider than the eyes, but figure they'd be even wider if it was a young ram.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200721-185010.png
    Screenshot_20200721-185010.png
    780.9 KB · Views: 91

slick

WKR
I think young ram first pic.

Ewe at the guzzler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk