Exaggerated numbers in the backcountry. Is everyone full of it?

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
I dunno...

Threads like this make me think I really shouldn't be hanging out here. If you girly-men can't hang, then you'll be just like all my old hunting partners: left in the dirt. Yeah, that's right; I totally dumped them because they couldn't hang! It's not like they just didn't call me.

I swear; you'll see. So, we hunted in the backwoods of suburban Ohio, and they just couldn't keep up with my 5:30/mile pace given the 18-mile hike in in the morning with its 15,721 ft of elevation gain just to get to the Basecamp. Then they got jelly cuz they were pissed that I killed a 72" moose and a 640-class bull elk with my 9mm offhand in one shot!

If they coulda hung with my hard-core hunting life, they might still get to come along. Clearly I can't let myself be held back by inferior chumps who can't compete!!!

If my five-year-old thinks he wants to come next time, he better man up! This ain't teaching time! I ain't got time to smell any stupid roses, or watch sunsets or bunnies - that crap is for lesser beings than I!

Spot on. Glad someone finally said it.
I don't see anyone here calling themselves a "hardcore mountain warrior". Thank you for your service, but just because we had a tough time to deal with in our life (voluntary or not) doesn't mean everyone around us should have to pay for it or worship us because of it. Took me about 30 years to figure that out, and fortunately for me, my wife stuck around through it all before I got my head on straight.

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
Ya know, it's funny... in reality I don't mind a Tough Mudder. If I'm going for a run, I get bored and I don't actually need to prove myself as being faster, so finishing in XX:XX time doesn't really do it for me. But the variety provided by a different challenge or obstacle to overcome - that I like! And you can bet I'm going to hang out with my buddies and drink a beer, or grab a lemonade with the kids after we do one.

That being said, while there are similarities between long-range/backcountry hunting and Afghanistan's mountains or Africa and between obstacle courses and combat, I can't pretend to "warrior" status for having done the former.

One of the big reasons I think that I like bringing my kids and nephews to deer camp is the growth and maturity. There's an awful lot of experience there, and quite a bit of chest-candy. But my friends tell stories, and don't really boast. That's the example I want to set for the kids, because I overcompensated with braggadocio quite a bit as a kid and really try to avoid it these days. I'm not always successful because bad habits are hard to break, but I want my kids to see that positive example, not the bar-room braggarts.

Ah dang it! There I go being genuine!

If only I was a 12th grader again.....then it would be easy to understand. You quoted me, but then didn't answer my question.
I should have deleted everything from your post that I quoted except for hypotenuse perhaps as that is what inspired my reply.

I’m afraid the programming upon which your (any) gps runs eludes me, and as such, as you mentioned, I failed to answer your question.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I should have deleted everything from your post that I quoted except for hypotenuse perhaps as that is what inspired my reply.

I’m afraid the programming upon which your (any) gps runs eludes me, and as such, as you mentioned, I failed to answer your question.

No problem........I know the GPS's track elevation as well as distance, but not sure how they track that actual elevation distance traveled as given in my example.......if elevation is included in the distance computation???

If I'm going for a run, I get bored and I don't actually need to prove myself as being faster, so finishing in XX:XX time doesn't really do it for me. But the variety provided by a different challenge or obstacle to overcome - that I like!

Absolutely! I've always hated pounding pavement or even dirt.......but loved running river bottoms for all the obstacles. I get bored easily.......like real easily.......so I cover a lot of ground. What else am I going to do while I'm out there? Cover ground and find elk. Like I said there's 14 hours of just daylight, and at only 1mph (really slow) that's still 14 miles even going slow, not even counting the dark hours of hiking.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I don't see anyone here calling themselves a "hardcore mountain warrior". Thank you for your service, but just because we had a tough time to deal with in our life (voluntary or not) doesn't mean everyone around us should have to pay for it or worship us because of it. Took me about 30 years to figure that out, and fortunately for me, my wife stuck around through it all before I got my head on straight.
Hey bud-I’ll go ahead and provide more direct insight into what I was glad Juan said and why.
After that, I will go back to staying out of all this stuff which often times turns into nonsense.

Nowadays everything is “tactical” or warrior this and that. Hell, I can’t even go a day without seeing someone with a “grunt style” or deployment shirt on. Wonder the ballpark percentage of them that were even in the military-not even one out of 10. Add in a beard and sleeve tats, everyone is an operator! Football players are constantly talking about the “battlefield”, it goes on and on. My point is, the constant reference to combat and war has deluded it to something it is not. Combat is not fun, nor is it something that should have become trendy the way it has with the mud runs and all this other stuff. Am I saying civilians shouldn’t have ink or beards or wear certain shirts? Hell no-that’s ridiculous. I just think at times there should be a certain level of reverence for warfighters. Wearing a grunt style shirt is not stolen valor, but when it says US MARINES on it, and I ask you at the bar when you were in and your a pencil neck dweeb that never raised his hand for anything-that is stolen valor. (Very much like my “Walmart/Home Depot theory” where you ask the person wearing the vest showing they work there where something is, and they reply “that’s not my department”......everyone wants to get paid, but nobody wants to work for it)

At the same time, I never once inferred anyone should worship veterans. Hell I didn’t even say a word about myself or my service. I don’t ever tell anyone anything. I simply stated my appreciation for another’s comment. O/O

though it runs fairly heavy with a good chunk of the backcountry instagram culture that attitude isn’t prevalent here which is part of why this forum is good- there’s very little inflating of “hardcore hunting” into anything else. Though I’m not the one you quoted he posted that I response to something I said. My aittude about this stuff has nothing to do with a desire to be recognized for something- I haven’t accomplished much in my time.

it is born of frustration seeing people equate this (or any other) form of recreation, this past time, this hobby, this subsistence opportunity, this management tool, to something it is not, and to then accordingly assign an inflated measure of bravado to it seek out recognition for it as though they accomplished something other than a feat of some small recreational magnitude.

You can’t assign bravado to play time. That’s all. If that offends someone’s sensibilities I forgive them.

Team4 - regarding the all things tactical these days, I couldn't agree with you more. Cracks me up, but it doesn't bother me. When I was a kid, I wore army fatigues because I thought they were cool and I liked playing "army" with my buddies in our back yards and local woodlots. I see these tactical operators as just grown up kids playing army (or swat cop or whatever). No harm done. Hell, it's kind of a compliment in a way.

Your points about combat are well stated. I wish more people understood that.

Personally, I don't see the mud run connection to war and I'm honestly glad that these hipsters are getting out and doing physical things. One could argue that many millennials are more physically active than their boomer parents were at the same age, and that's a good thing.

I dunno...

Threads like this make me think I really shouldn't be hanging out here. If you girly-men can't hang, then you'll be just like all my old hunting partners: left in the dirt. Yeah, that's right; I totally dumped them because they couldn't hang! It's not like they just didn't call me.

I swear; you'll see. So, we hunted in the backwoods of suburban Ohio, and they just couldn't keep up with my 5:30/mile pace given the 18-mile hike in in the morning with its 15,721 ft of elevation gain just to get to the Basecamp. Then they got jelly cuz they were pissed that I killed a 72" moose and a 640-class bull elk with my 9mm offhand in one shot!

If they coulda hung with my hard-core hunting life, they might still get to come along. Clearly I can't let myself be held back by inferior chumps who can't compete!!!

If my five-year-old thinks he wants to come next time, he better man up! This ain't teaching time! I ain't got time to smell any stupid roses, or watch sunsets or bunnies - that crap is for lesser beings than I!
According to Google, the highest mountain in Ohio is Campbell Hill @ 1,550 ft. So, you climbed to the top of that mountain 10 times to get to your spot? Add an extra time or two because the base of it isn't sea level.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Team4 - regarding the all things tactical these days, I couldn't agree with you more. Cracks me up, but it doesn't bother me. When I was a kid, I wore army fatigues because I thought they were cool and I liked playing "army" with my buddies in our back yards and local woodlots. I see these tactical operators as just grown up kids playing army (or swat cop or whatever). No harm done. Hell, it's kind of a compliment in a way.

Your points about combat are well stated. I wish more people understood that.

Personally, I don't see the mud run connection to war and I'm honestly glad that these hipsters are getting out and doing physical things. One could argue that many millennials are more physically active than their boomer parents were at the same age, and that's a good thing.

Right on brother! I played “Army” with my brothers all growing up-fair point 👍

My wife will be the first to tell you sometimes I’m a little slow to see things another way.....

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
According to Google, the highest mountain in Ohio is Campbell Hill @ 1,550 ft. So, you climbed to the top of that mountain 10 times to get to your spot? Add an extra time or two because the base of it isn't sea level.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was attempting a joke. Apologies for its having fallen flat.

It happens around here. I made a crack about Steve rubella cooking up elk fetus from shoulder season cows once and you would have thought I said he was eating human babies from the uproar.

AKDoc

WKR
I enjoyed reading through the comments in this thread guys...some really spot on comments as well as good humor....

Before social media, we shared hunting experiences with each other face to face, and within that venue you could size it up real fast if someone was blowing smoke and full of it. If so, you'd look at your watch, give notice that you've got to get somewhere, and quickly exit stage right. A three-hundred pound guy didn't even try to tell a hunting story that he hiked twenty miles with a ten thousand foot elevation differential.

It's different now with social media...both good and challenging. We can share our hunting experiences with a broader audience, which is helpful in countless ways. Of course it opens the door to those, who greatly embellish and misrepresent their experiences, because they now have an audience (back in the face to face world they probably wouldn't). I wish them well.

I hope everyone has safe and enjoyable hunting experiences this fall. I leave for part-1 on Tuesday with my son...can't wait.

BTW, semper fi Team4!

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
My wife asked last year why I wanted to go hunting. I had to somehow articulate the bliss derived from being confronted with reality - the grandeur of nature and the humility of taking an animal. I also had to appreciate the real bonding that takes place over the campfire, wherein the ability to BS is revealed for what it is, and not masquerading anonymous internet bluster.

S/F, AKDoc & Team4

jeff68

FNG
So what would be a reasonable SW wa blacktail solo backcountry weekend hunt for a fit but not on any exercise routine desk jockey? Distance wise

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I enjoyed reading through the comments in this thread guys...some really spot on comments as well as good humor....

Before social media, we shared hunting experiences with each other face to face, and within that venue you could size it up real fast if someone was blowing smoke and full of it. If so, you'd look at your watch, give notice that you've got to get somewhere, and quickly exit stage right. A three-hundred pound guy didn't even try to tell a hunting story that he hiked twenty miles with a ten thousand foot elevation differential.

It's different now with social media...both good and challenging. We can share our hunting experiences with a broader audience, which is helpful in countless ways. Of course it opens the door to those, who greatly embellish and misrepresent their experiences, because they now have an audience (back in the face to face world they probably wouldn't). I wish them well.

I hope everyone has safe and enjoyable hunting experiences this fall. I leave for part-1 on Tuesday with my son...can't wait.

BTW, semper fi Team4!

Thanks Doc! I hope you and your son have an awesome hunt and harvest with even better memories 👍