Exercise in frustration

Just got done with my first 2.5 days of archery mule deer. Three stalks: got to 30,35,45 and got busted each time. Lots of learning and lots of frustration. Hope to get back after them in a couple weeks.

These are the bucks I was 30 and 35 from.

c5c174045275c303b018c66f9eb3fc4c.jpg

d34ce60b652f4dc24d66b800a7ddd261.jpg

OFFHNTN

WKR
Are you a traditional archer? If not, why do you need to get any closer than 30 and 35 yards?

Rich M

WKR
Nice bucks!

You went, had a good time, and got within range 3 times, easy range twice. That's excellent.

How'd the bucks get busted - see you, scent, other? Just curious.

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
I know you didn't close the deal but that seems like a really positive start to me! Every busted stalk is a learning experience, even if a frustrating one.

OP
S
Nice bucks!

You went, had a good time, and got within range 3 times, easy range twice. That's excellent.

How'd the bucks get busted - see you, scent, other? Just curious.

One probably caught me as I was trying to move around some brush to shoot. One got up, saw me draw but never gave an oppurtunity, and blew out. The last one was with a smaller buck that busted me as I drew back to shoot.

That’s a good start. As a rifle hunter and someday bow hunter I sure don’t get in that kind of range. Mule deer usually spot me way out before I shot them with a camera or rifle.

Rich M

WKR
One probably caught me as I was trying to move around some brush to shoot. One got up, saw me draw but never gave an oppurtunity, and blew out. The last one was with a smaller buck that busted me as I drew back to shoot.
Keep at it - will make your success all that much sweeter.

Crazy how well they see motion.

Calbuck

WKR
Dude my son is on his first archery tag ever.. We hunted this weekend and thankfully have been in the bucks. His excitement over just getting to TRY to sneak on them is so rewarding! I'm thankful to have found him some legal deer to stalk and get him out there to experience it..just my perspective...

Reactions: FYT

OFFHNTN

WKR
I heard from a pretty popular "big name" hunter, that he averages 7 stalks before he is successful.
Keep at it!

That's not bad. Good action! Only done a little stalking but it's hard as heck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk