Exiting/Entering the US with Firearms

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Hi guys, has anyone gone into/out of the US with a firearm recently? I have a trip to New Zealand in April and everything is locked on minus the US customs side.

This is what ICE has to say on it:
I can't get the AESDirect system to open and from what I've read I would have to fraudulently obtain an EIN (I'm wouldn't be getting one for business purposes) from the IRS and pass a 30 question quiz in order to use the AESDirect system to obtain an ITN.

This is what the CBP has to say on it:
So they're still supposedly accepting the Form-4457. So all I'd have to do is find a CBP official before my trip and have the form stamped and signed.

I found this with a google search
So people have been having problems.

Has anyone dealt with this recently?

Thanks.

Tod osier

WKR
I won't be all that much help on the current issues ( did read your links and have done a couple 4457s). On the 4457, in my understanding, does not expire. So you can get it filled out now if you know what guns you are going to take. My thinking is a trip to get it filled out will give you a good chance to gauge the atmosphere and talk to CBP with no lost time.

Update us on what you find.

OP
P

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply, I believe you're correct on the form being good indefinitely. Unfortunately I work overseas. I'll have 4 days from my return home until I leave for New Zealand so I'm stuck with email and phone until then.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
Thanks for the reply, I believe you're correct on the form being good indefinitely. Unfortunately I work overseas. I'll have 4 days from my return home until I leave for New Zealand so I'm stuck with email and phone until then.

That wasn't useful at all then :). Best of luck, the added stress of not knowing that they will accept I'm sure isn't helpful, either. Bummer. Have to get it figured out before June for myself.

OMB

WKR
Went to Saskatchewan in September, had the 4457's filled out and stamped before we crossed over and had no problems returning even though the forms technically expired I think in August of 2019. I'll be headed up to NWT in July and plan on following the same protocol, unless there's any major changes that are reported on. Definitely something to keep an eye on though.

WCB

WKR
Been to NZ and back with 4457...No problems go to a port of entry before and get it signed off on and stamped and have had zero problems .

Scorpion

WKR
4457 is the way to go. Just need a CBP person to inspect and sign off on it. I used mine for entry at the US/Mexico border during my Coues hunt in January.

Yes, a 4457 is what you need, can be done ahead of time or at the border. I was told it does not expire. If you are going into Canada you may need a PAL or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses.

Therewas some scuttlebutt earlier this year about getting an federal ID number, EIN. Thi s happened a few years back and some guys got caught in the mess. Trump admin sorted this out. A 4457 is all you will need to go and return. Youncan do this at most any airport with CBP office. Take the weapon for them to see. You can print the form online and fill out all the info amd the agent will just sign and stamp it.
on another note, NZ customs will pretty much diallow any food you bring in. Even took things factory packed from on last trip.
Have a blast

Most U.S. embassies and Consulate offices can handle most anytype of paperwork overseas, so once you print the from, you may want to go to one or call. It may save you time during those limited 4 days.

D

Deleted member 39919

The 4457 does not expire, it is good for you as long as you own the listed weapon(s). The CBP officer fills out the description to include make, model, caliber, serial number, etc. along with any other items such a scope, binoculars and so forth. The purpose of the form is to prove you own the items and that when you return to the US you present the form to prove the items are yours and were not purchased abroad. Go to the airport or CBP office if they are offsite with enough time to have CBP inspect the items and sign off on the form before you head to the airline counter. Don't take the weapon with you when you go into the CBP office or area (leave it in your vehicle secured) but let them know why you are there and they will advise how they want to inspect the weapon. It's smart to carry the original 4457 on you and place a copy in the gun case.

Now what the foreign country will require is a different matter. That's something you have to determine since it's got nothing to do with US regulations.

Hope this helps.