Exo 2016 vs current K2 frame comfort level?

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Itching to pull the trigger on a new exo bag and K2 frame but my friend has a used 2016 model he will sell me. He lives pretty far away so I can’t try it on. The monetary savings are substantial but I can’t buy both.

I have heard it said that the older models were more comfortable due to the frames ability to flex.

Anybody used a 2016 frame and pack then upgraded to a current K2 setup? Thoughts?

mtnkid85

WKR
I run the 16 setup and my partner runs the K2 frame. No doubt, the older frame is more flexible and without a load on it is maybe more comfortable. I can easily shoot my bow with zero resistance or binding.

I wouldn't be afraid of the older pack.

OP
Q

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply. Have you tried the 2 packs under load? Is the 16 the one that experienced the slippage?

Thanks for the reply. Have you tried the 2 packs under load? Is the 16 the one that experienced the slippage?
I’ve owned both, the newer k2 carries weight better, and has a better belt. But the original frame to me is more comfortable over all due to the twisting flex. If the older fame had the bigger belt, I would probably of used it more then the K2.

Only slippage I had was on the shoulder harness torso adjustment on the orginal non velcro harness frame, eventually it would slip and lengthen

sneaky

"DADDY"
Only slippage I had was on the shoulder harness torso adjustment on the orginal non velcro harness frame, eventually it would slip and lengthen
Yep, but that frame was oh so comfy. I wish they would do that with the new velcro attachments. That would be the ticket.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For me the older pack was undoubtedly more comfy both while packing weight and just gear. I sold it without trying the new K2 and regret it. While I still love my K2 the older pack was just that much better.
a76cc268b2d34f51f4be651a637975f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
I have all 3 MR,SG and Exo so I'll throw in my 2 cents. I personally love my Exo because of the pockets. I love the stretch pockets on the back and the 2 on the side for water bottles. I love being able to reach back grab my water bottle and put it back without taking off my pack. I find it's easier to disassemble for loading meat than any other pack. Now for the things I wanted to see improvement on most of which I think they have addressed on the newest models. Originally I felt the zippers were cheap not YKK, some of the straps were too skinny (mainly the ones for load lifters and some on the lower shoulder straps). I know they changed the strap width and I believe the zippers as well. I love the Xpac material they use for the main bag because for the most part it is coated with a waterproof coating that's actually works pretty well at keeping your contents dryer. I wish they would put it on the back of the frame so that the blood doesn't soak in the cordura fabric making the Pack smell like rotten road kill by the end of the season.
It would be just as tough and be a lot nicer for cleaning. ( I suggested most of these changes with my original pack and was treated like I was nuts or weird) I wasn't impressed with that aspect of the operation. Funny thing is they addressed the items so I don't think I was the only guy mentioning them. I think they could make some good changes with the shoulder strap yoke thing to allow more airflow but again was received with a poo poo attitude. All in All it is a great pack and I really like it.
Now for the SG. I just purchased the new X curve frame and love it. I think this change was huge and helped them feel more like a MR or Kifaru pack (not so flat backed). The other thing about SG is that I feel carries super heavy weight better than the EXO in my opinion. Something about it just feels better with a load of heavy meat to me. There are some things I don't care for on the SG in regards to the X crossing of the stays on the frame. Just by nature they overlap and cause one of the pads to be a bit higher than the other and I feel that on my back. Kinda nit picky but it bugs me. The frame pads breath way better than the Exo because of the airflow between the pads. The EXO is similar to a MR in this regard. I have the Sky 7400 so its just a big bag with a middle zipper. Because I like the aspect of pockets I think I'd be in heaven with their Talus bag. I have nothing but praise for these packs though. They are tough and light and I'm getting better at loading the meat shelf especially after this year.

It really boils down to what your needs and wants are. Both packs are going to do well and both have some awesome features the other doesn't. Both packs are constantly making improvements as well which is a plus for the consumer. It's a coin toss buddy. Just my honest opinion of both packs

sneaky

"DADDY"
Man hard to believe a frame moving better with you than the k2 frame. It moves better than the other big 3 companies.
No comparison. The original EXO frame moved with you much better than the K2.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It really boils down to what your needs and wants are. Both packs are going to do well and both have some awesome features the other doesn't. Both packs are constantly making improvements as well which is a plus for the consumer. It's a coin toss buddy. Just my honest opinion of both packs

I agree with this. Over the last two years have had Exo, SG, and Kifaru. All were good and the Exo and SG fit me the best. The Exo is the easiest and simplest pack to detach and adjust. I also like the k2 frame as it does move with you but is rock solid when really getting the straps tight and secure. The frame has no barreling at all. But in heavy loads I thought the hip belt and lumbar pad started to sag down a little bit.

The SG is till comfortable, but the hip belt and lumbar pad seem to stay where they should even with heavy loads. The x curve frame fits well, but I have not hauled meat with it yet so i'm a little concerned with the frame barreling. The frame does not have much rigidity to resist barreling. Now, it hasn't seemed to be an issue when I used a sand bag for training.

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 1st gen Exo 5500 and I love it. It has packed out a Ram, 2 elk, 2 deer and a bear so far. No complaints. I hear the new K2 are even better. Definitely well built packs. You would be surprised how small the 5500 will pack down. I use mine all the time for a daypack.​

I have a 1st gen Exo 5500 and I love it. It has packed out a Ram, 2 elk, 2 deer and a bear so far. No complaints. I hear the new K2 are even better. Definitely well built packs. You would be surprised how small the 5500 will pack down. I use mine all the time for a daypack.​

Don’t ever sell the original until you have the K2 and could determine that for yourself. I sold mine and while the K2 is still awesome, I preferred the original slightly more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk