Exo 4800 K3 Bro Bag on Kifaru UL frame

nphunter

WKR
I have been trying to come up with a great all-around pack for a while now, for the last couple of seasons I have been using a Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 I modified to fit my Kifaru UL frame. It worked well but was a little wonky getting on and off of the frame due to the way Kuiu connects the bags with the two small stays and load lifters. I saw a review on the new K3 4800 frame and noticed the way the bag velcro's onto the top of the frame and also the waterproof bladder pocket which both intrigued me. I saw the Bro version has a bunch more pockets and I am a fan of pockets which is why I was running the Kuiu vs a Kifaru bag. I decided to order the bag and it arrived a couple of nights ago and fits on my Kifaru frame really well and removing it is super quick. I use a Grab it to haul meat so I really don't need the load shelf function of the bag at all even though it would still work.

Here are some pictures of the bag mounted to my 24" Frame.

I cut off the Exo side buckles and used some Kifaru buckles I had. With the two sides buckled to the frame, I can still use all of my day gear and access all but the side pockets without unclipping which is awesome.

Kifaru Buckles

I modified the male ends with a Dremel tool to be able to slide onto the sewn loops, I did the same on my Kuiu buckles in the past and have had no issues with them coming off. Kifaru does the same thing with there females and replacement buckles.

View from the top

The bag fits the frame great, the only negative at all is that the Exo covers the Kifaru grab handle. Not a big deal to me though, there are plenty of places to grab or hang the pack by.

Lid folded forward, I used an arrow cut to 10" with a blunt on either end to connect the lid to the frame, it works really well for me but could also be done with K clips or any other connectors as well.

The Exo Velcro system is awesome!! It makes getting the bag on and off super-efficient. I can have the entire bag disconnected all but the bottom straps in about 15 seconds.

Accessing the entire bag is very nice without losing my compression.

Side clips disconnected allowing bag to expand and access to side pockets.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
On the opposite side, the Bro version has double pockets on this side.

Kifaru Clips attaching the bag to the center of the frame, these probably aren't necessary but they will be nice to keep the bag from flopping while running it expanded.

Bottom attachment attaches perfectly to the bottom connectors to the frame with zero modifications, pictures are fully collapsed. Fully expanded its about 8" from the frame to the outside of the bag.

A different view of the bottom.

Awesome water bladder pocket, waterproof and goes all the way to the bottom of the pack. This is easily accessible while the pack is all cinched down which is awesome, I had to keep the bladder between the frame and bag on the Kuiu/Kifaru. I can almost burry my arm to the shoulder in this pouch, it would be great for a rain jacket too, I have my filter kit in the bottom below my bladder.

Lid attachment, I took a short piece of an old arrow and put an insert in each end, you can slide the shaft through the lower load lifter spots on the frame through the loops on the lid and put a blunt on either end and it can't come off but can be removed in a couple seconds. You could use about any clip for this as well but this gives me a good handle as well and also a coupe blunts incase I see a grouse while hunting:)

So far I am very pleased with this pack, I have not gotten any field use but it fits the frame very very well and will make taking the pack on and very convenient and I really like the layout of the pack. The regular K3 is the same bag just with fewer pockets. I think this will be an awesome all-around setup for me!!

Last edited:

mt100gr.

WKR
What's the story on the Bro bag? I don't see it offered on the exo site. What does it weigh (bag only) ?Thanks.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Do you just have your grab it under the exo bag as a meat shelf?

Yes, you can see the buckles on the top behind the bag, I also have the extra multi-cam Kifaru strap that I can use to help if I need it. The last bull I only hauled the horns and pack back to the rig then took the frame with the grab it for the other 4 quarters. I keep it strapped across the bag too, I like having the extra strap for shed hunting too.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
I just put a 4800 on my duplex hunter. I replaced side buckles with kifaru replacement buckles and attach to frame with a buckle and strap like comes with the cargo panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
I just put a 4800 on my duplex hunter. I replaced side buckles with kifaru replacement buckles and attach to frame with a buckle and strap like comes with the cargo panel.

Do you have a pic? You mean a k clip with a strap with a male buckle on the end?

colersu22

WKR
When I put an exo 2000 and 3500 on my Kifaru frame I did it the same way as nphunter but used some clips like you have in the second post second picture for attaching the lid and it worked perfect. I was looking at getting one of the bro packs to put on my frame for the extra pockets but I don’t want the big born and raised that is on the front.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
When I put an exo 2000 and 3500 on my Kifaru frame I did it the same way as nphunter but used some clips like you have in the second post second picture for attaching the lid and it worked perfect. I was looking at getting one of the bro packs to put on my frame for the extra pockets but I don’t want the big born and raised that is on the front.

:) I know I’m going to take a lot of crap for it from my hunting partner. I thought about using my wives seam ripper and removing the embroidery. Defiantly not a fan but the pack is awesome.

mt100gr.

WKR
I have been trying to come up with a great all-around pack for a while now, for the last couple of seasons I have been using a Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 I modified to fit my Kifaru UL frame. It worked well but was a little wonky getting on and off of the frame due to the way Kuiu connects the bags with the two small stays and load lifters. I saw a review on the new K3 4800 frame and noticed the way the bag velcro's onto the top of the frame and also the waterproof bladder pocket which both intrigued me. I saw the Bro version has a bunch more pockets and I am a fan of pockets which is why I was running the Kuiu vs a Kifaru bag. I decided to order the bag and it arrived a couple of nights ago and fits on my Kifaru frame really well and removing it is super quick. I use a Grab it to haul meat so I really don't need the load shelf function of the bag at all even though it would still work.

Here are some pictures of the bag mounted to my 24" Frame.
View attachment 139487

I cut off the Exo side buckles and used some Kifaru buckles I had. With the two sides buckled to the frame, I can still use all of my day gear and access all but the side pockets without unclipping which is awesome.
View attachment 139488

Kifaru Buckles
View attachment 139490

I modified the male ends with a Dremel tool to be able to slide onto the sewn loops, I did the same on my Kuiu buckles in the past and have had no issues with them coming off. Kifaru does the same thing with there females and replacement buckles.
View attachment 139491

View from the top
View attachment 139492

The bag fits the frame great, the only negative at all is that the Exo covers the Kifaru grab handle. Not a big deal to me though, there are plenty of places to grab or hang the pack by.
View attachment 139493

Lid folded forward, I used an arrow cut to 10" with a blunt on either end to connect the lid to the frame, it works really well for me but could also be done with K clips or any other connectors as well.
View attachment 139495

The Exo Velcro system is awesome!! It makes getting the bag on and off super-efficient. I can have the entire bag disconnected all but the bottom straps in about 15 seconds.
View attachment 139496

Accessing the entire bag is very nice without losing my compression.
View attachment 139497

Side clips disconnected allowing bag to expand and access to side pockets.
View attachment 139498
Thank you for posting this....got me thinking now.

On that BRO pack - do the zip side pockets have some depth to them, say, for a spotting scope. (Likely only on the one-pocket side)?

4682f18870a5608da292e0b0a5f7f4ab.jpg
9fb5a371c4b21fc33be21d4ee7cc486d.jpg

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Thank you for posting this....got me thinking now.

On that BRO pack - do the zip side pockets have some depth to them, say, for a spotting scope. (Likely only on the one-pocket side)?
My angle 65mm fits easy in the larger one I’m sure my 80mm would easily fit as well but it’s not in here to try it.

mt100gr.

WKR
My angle 65mm fits easy in the larger one I’m sure my 80mm would easily fit as well but it’s not in here to try it.
Thanks! I carry a straight zeiss dialyt if anything so that's all the info I need. Often just have my 15s in the pack.

Are those little stretchy side pockets at the bottom? Will they fit a rifle butt stock? Tripod legs? .....don't look big enough for a water bottle.....?

Mine does have stretchy pockets (mine is not the BRO edition). My pockets are big enough to fit an entire nalgene and then some

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the write up. I was actually looking through old threads about attaching kuiu and exo bags to Kifaru frames the last couple days. A kifaru duplex with the exo bag seems like a perfect combo.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
I appreciate the write up. I was actually looking through old threads about attaching kuiu and exo bags to Kifaru frames the last couple days. A kifaru duplex with the exo bag seems like a perfect combo.

I think this is a pretty slick setup and will for sure be better that the Kuiu 5200 I’ve been running the last couple years. The kuiu bag has worked pretty well though just not as clean of a fit.
Here’s a write up I did when I put the 5200 on the same frame a couple years ago.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Thanks! I carry a straight zeiss dialyt if anything so that's all the info I need. Often just have my 15s in the pack.

Are those little stretchy side pockets at the bottom? Will they fit a rifle butt stock? Tripod legs? .....don't look big enough for a water bottle.....?

The pockets are smashed in those pics. They are not super deep but they are stretchy and large. I can put a Nalgene and The base of my large tripod in there. The opposite smaller pockets both easily fit my Nalgene as well. If the zipper went all the way to the top I could actually put my tripod in the long side pocket. I stuffed the pack with pillows to fill it up and took a few more pictures I’ll post below.
The side pockets would easily fit a bit stock, I use a Kifaru gun bearer which works really well when rifle hunting. I just use the back straps for my bow. The lower straps are long enough you could easily put a rolled pad in them under the pack or something similar.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Here are a few more pics. i think I will end up switching the side clips out for straps so I can use them to secure items like guns to the side when it’s expanded.

Looks good! Im using a k2 3500 on my kifaru lite frame and really like it. I used a woodsman bag for part of this season before putting the exo bag on. I prefer the exo bag for my use.