Exo 4800 or kifaru 44mag

BJP

FNG
Need some advice going to NWT in aug on a caribou/sheep hunt which pack would you buy im 5'11 185 lbs. Thanks for any advice.

tdhanses

WKR
I’d take the Exo 4800 based on what they describe it as over the 44mag. It is the bag I’ve asked kifaru to build for about 7 years, the EXO 2k was awesome (ran on my kifaru frame) other then it lacked space, but it would have even been better if it had full side sleeve pockets like the 4800 will have. The mountain warrior is closer to what the EXO 4800 will be but still lacks as I also owned one of them.

Graves14

WKR
The new Exo K3 frame is insanely comfortable. The small changes made all add up to one incredible suspension system. As for the bag, that 4800 will be hard to beat for convenience of layout.

madcalfe

WKR
dont run kuiu whatever you do lol, the frames are junk for how much their asking for them.
kifaru, exo or stone glacier. i run a stone glacier talus 6900. i use it for everything 10+ day back packs hunts to day hunts from the truck. compresses down super small. i doubt id ever go with a smaller bag. its carried 2 6 point elk, numerous black bears, white tail deer, mountain goat and still looks new (y)

OP
BJP

BJP

FNG
Thanks for the advice ,going with jim lancaster he says we shouldnt have to move camp but wants us to have a 5000 c.i. bag just in case do you think the 4800 will be big enough?

madcalfe

WKR
Thanks for the advice ,going with jim lancaster he says we shouldnt have to move camp but wants us to have a 5000 c.i. bag just in case do you think the 4800 will be big enough?

I personally would go bigger. My 6900 is stuffed tight with 10 days worth of food and gear. And I’ve spared no expensive on light weight packable gear. Most big bags compress down to 4000-4500ci day packs anyways. So I’d go bigger that way your not buying another pack and in the future

Take this for what it’s worth, since I’m only now prepping for my 1st sheep hunt, but if the 4800 isn’t quite big enough when you actually need it, how upset will you be? The extra few ounces saved with a smaller pack just don’t seem worth the risk to me.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I personally would go bigger. My 6900 is stuffed tight with 10 days worth of food and gear. And I’ve spared no expensive on light weight packable gear. Most big bags compress down to 4000-4500ci day packs anyways. So I’d go bigger that way your not buying another pack and in the future

Same here I can get 10 days with of food and gear for a 63lb total weight (everything including binos) with 2lbs of water in my exo 5500. I feel like smaller and the food would have to go on the meat shelf. I wouldn't do either for a 10 day hunt.

And yes I have both exo and kifaru. The exo is lighter and my go to bag.

madcalfe

WKR
Same here I can get 10 days with of food and gear for a 63lb total weight (everything including binos) with 2lbs of water in my exo 5500. I feel like smaller and the food would have to go on the meat shelf. I wouldn't do either for a 10 day hunt.

And yes I have both exo and kifaru. The exo is lighter and my go to bag.

Kifaru just has the nicest hip belts.🤤

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Kifaru just has the nicest hip belts.🤤

All things being equal. With water bags so each pack wights 70 lbs for hiking around home. I can't say one is better then the other. The Kifaru duplex lite frame and the Exo k2 feel about the same to me. If i had to pick a winner the nod would go to the exo 5500 for weight savings and the kifaru mountain warrior for organizational abilities.

madcalfe

WKR
All things being equal. With water bags so each pack wights 70 lbs for hiking around home. I can't say one is better then the other. The Kifaru duplex lite frame and the Exo k2 feel about the same to me. If i had to pick a winner the nod would go to the exo 5500 for weight savings and the kifaru mountain warrior for organizational abilities.
Yea. I’ve only tried on a kifaru. Never packed anything with one. But I packed out a pretty much whole boned in mountain goat plus all camp gear with my stone glacier for about 9km back to the truck. weighed it when I got home it was sitting at 132lbs and handled like a dream.

OP
BJP

BJP

FNG
Leaning towards new exo 6800 based on your input, just hope they ship by july 1 training with a badlands now which sucks ,leaving aug 9.
Thanks for your input

twall13

WKR
I think you are on the right track. From what I heard in their podcast, the 4800 was going to be a heavier pack with more organization. For a sheep hunt you are probably better off with the larger capacity and lower weight of the larger 6800 pack.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
You'll want a min 6000 cube bag. I use a Seek Revo with a 6500 cube bag, or a Mystery Ranch Marshall for long backpack trips. The Seek went to Alaska with me in 2017 for a 12 day sheep/grizz hunt. It was just big enough. I'll take one of Seek's larger bags next time I go. The Marshall is the right size.

Jeremy

I don’t have experience with either of the bags but I know when I bought my exo 3500 I was thrilled until it came time to stay for more then 3-5 nights. At which point I wished I would of bought the 5500 at least just for the extra room. Best of luck.

Kotaman

WKR
I will say the 44 Mag appears bigger than 4400 ci. I have a SG 5900, 6900 and 7400 and I think this thing holds more than any of them, especially when you throw on a Guide lid. (The SG's are deceptive space as they are "tall" space) For me, the 44 Mag would be plenty of pack for this type of hunt. Add on a Sherman pouch for "just in case" and you'll have plenty of space, even if you have to move. Those that say you need a "bigger bag" have not seen the 44 Mag in person. The flexibility/versatility of that 44 Mag system is crazy.

With all of this said, if I could only own ONE pack instead of several, it would be the Stone Glacier 6900 on the X Frame. Goes into daypack mode with ease and plenty big to carry as big a load as I can handle.