Exo 4800 vs 6400

Anyone regret not getting the 6400? I’ve used a mystery ranch metcalf for the last few years and it’s done well, but I’m 6’8” with a 21” torso and I need a taller frame.

I’m pretty sure I want an Exo pack in tall, but I’ve been looking at SO packs as well. With two little kids, the longest trips I’ll go on are 6-7 nights. Did 6 nights last November in Colorado out of my metcalf. Any input would be much appreciated.

Rob5589

WKR
Depends on how you pack and how much gear you bring. I'd call and give them the details, they'll steer you in the right direction.

OP
Amos Moses
Depends on how you pack and how much gear you bring. I'd call and give them the details, they'll steer you in the right direction.
Thanks. I’m pretty sure the 4800 would be great for the hunting I do now. I wonder if I’ll want a larger pack in a few years and wish I had picked up the 6400. Could always buy another when needed.

OP
Amos Moses
Never go smaller. You can always collapse for shorter hunts but will limit yourself on longer hunts. This also applies to adding gear for specific hunts. If you start bringing kids along you will end up packing more of their stuff than you think. The weight difference between the two is insignificant.
Makes a lot of sense. Thanks, kids do come with a lot of stuff.

Jbxl20

WKR
I have the 6400. It packs down just as small yet has plenty of room for what ever your going to need. Main difference is the amount of food you can fit. Generally I only use it for 4-5 nights at at a time but know I have room if I need to fit more. I had that bag packed full on a 3 day whitetail camping trip with some friends. Yes I brought a lot of stuff I didn’t need to bring on that trip, but It all fit.

acesand8s

Lil-Rokslider
I got the 6400...I usually don't need this much room, but I have it just in case I do need it.

md126

WKR
The two bags have a different layout so it’s not just a cubic inch issue in my opinion.

The 6400 has more room obviously but for me the 4800 is a better designed bag.

If you utilize the load shelf I can’t imagine the 4800 not being big enough for just about anything.

I have a 4800 and can do 6 days of Colorado archery hunting with careful packing. However, I would think that if you are concerned about the space, go bigger. The weight difference isn’t that much and the pack does collapse well.

mlgc20

WKR
The two bags have a different layout so it’s not just a cubic inch issue in my opinion.

The 6400 has more room obviously but for me the 4800 is a better designed bag.

If you utilize the load shelf I can’t imagine the 4800 not being big enough for just about anything.
I agree. I hate having a pack that has way more volume than needed. Sure, it packs down. But, the pockets, lid, straps, etc, are much more user friendly when the pack is mostly filled out. I have the 3500, 4800, and 6400. I only use the 6400 when I'm taking my kids with me and need lots of extra space. But, I will then hate using it as a day pack. As mentioned by someone earlier, it matters what type of gear you have and how you pack.

OP
Amos Moses
Thanks for all of the replies, a lot to think about. I spoke with Exo and they suggest the 4800 for a few reasons. One of the primary reasons is - people will often over-pack unnecessary things when they have the additional space. Could be remedied by sticking with a list and being aware of what you need with you.

I have both! I bought the 6400 after I bought the 4800. I use the 6400 for everything, and the 4800 is my wife's or my spare.

I thought I would miss the horseshoe zipper on the 4800. I don't. The single full length zipper on the 6400 works about as well. The pockets are exactly the same, only longer/deeper on the 6400.

The best part is I don't have to "carefully" pack. I can just jam stuff in there in the organized order I normally do. I know where everything is and have it all packed in seconds. This is great in the morning where I just jam my bag, pad, and tent in there without putting any of them into their individual bags. Fast, easy, and carries very well. I only use the stuff sacks to reduce space when I fly in or before heading home.

joel

FNG
EXO works hard to get you what you will be happy with and they are great guys. Their packs are extremely well thought out. The larger pack will roll down and you can cinch it down to a very small size but you do have extra material. As mentioned earlier it really depends on what you pack and how efficient you are at packing. I pack a fair amount in the winter and that requires more room for the additional clothing, heavier tent and larger bag as well as more food. It is a very individual choice but I think the EXO packs are top notch.

OP
Amos Moses
Thanks again for all the input. I went with the 6400 and did my first day hike with it today. As stated above, there is extra material but the straps are well thought out and it compresses nicely. Still working through all the micro adjustments to get it perfect but I’m very impressed so far.

Thanks again for all the input. I went with the 6400 and did my first day hike with it today. As stated above, there is extra material but the straps are well thought out and it compresses nicely. Still working through all the micro adjustments to get it perfect but I’m very impressed so far.

The most important adjustment for me was attachment height of the straps on the pack. Super easy to adjust.

cams

FNG
debated between 4800 and 6400. Got the 4800. Like the fit and ease of use. hope it will have enough room for the next hunt trip.

cmogan15

FNG
Have you tested out the load hauling on the Exo Frame? I am interested to see what people think about the frame system and if there is a big difference in function.

Also How light is your overnight system, I feel like since I come from the mountaineering side I tend to like a smaller pack and become a minimalist.

Tatanka17

FNG
Love my 4800 for 6-8 days hunts. Did you end up going with the taller frame? That would definitely be my recommendation with a 21” Torso.