Exo as daypack vs lightweight internal pack

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Need a new pack for a couple specific upcoming hunts and more in the future. This year will be hunting stag, don't need much. Just a lightweight backpack to carry food, water, rain gear, and a few odds and ends; no need for hauling anything out. Next year will be hunting mountain goat and need to plan for overnights and packing animal out.
Have spent a ton of time on here searching packs. Sounds like the Exo pack is very comfortable and the frame doesn't look quite as large some of the others. Would the exo 2000 be comfortable carrying a minimal load or will it seem bulky?
Basically trying to decide if I invest in the exo with the 2000 pack this year and 5500 pack next year. Or purchase simple internal frame pack from REi or the like this year and the exo 5500 next year.
Spend is close to the same, just think long run the exo frame with a couple bags could do more if it is comfortable.
Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The exo would fit this bill nicely. The new frame is very sleek and comfortable for all day use. I've run the Kifaru t3 the last several years as my daypack but will likely run the exo this fall. I have been running the frame with minimal loads while shed hunting this spring.

whitingja

WKR
This is what stone glacier packs are made for. Light, very durable and comfortable. But they can haul heavy weight awesome too when needed. Does it all.

Dallas

FNG
I have the exo 2000 and 5500. Very comfortable and lightweight. The 2000 is not bulky and is a great daypack. The 5500 will compress down, but to me is still to big for a daypack. You won't be disappointed with the exo.

charvey9

WKR
The Exo 2000 has quickly become my favorite all-around daypack or overnighter and you could still haul a heavy load, like an elk quarter, between the bag and the frame.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
or just get the 5500 bag and compress it down .It will flatten to almost nothing

I agree 100%!!

I bought my K2 new last year with a 3500 bag and it was great. When buying I thought no way I would need a 5500 bag.

Well, I was wrong. I picked up a NOS 5500 bag a while ago and it is perfect for day and 5 days. What I really like about the 5500 is it really is not much taller at all but it is deeper/thicker when needed. Also, the side pockets on the 3550 I though where a little small and the 5500 are perfect.
I will never go back to say Tenzing or Eberlestock X2 day pack after using the Exo. My beef with the regular day packs are stuff like load lifters are not function and side pockets always ended up almost behind me making them hard to reach. Also my My X2 hurt so bad with just 35# never again.

I love my pack as it is set up now. K2 Frame Kifaru belt and 5500 bag. With my pack all sucked in for day use (take just a min to do) the pack feels like an extension of my body and does not ever limit my mobility.

If you want a reference of these packs in day use mode Cory Jacobson has some videos with him using his exo as a day pack you can find on YouTube.

I agree 100%!!

I bought my K2 new last year with a 3500 bag and it was great. When buying I thought no way I would need a 5500 bag.

Well, I was wrong. I picked up a NOS 5500 bag a while ago and it is perfect for day and 5 days. What I really like about the 5500 is it really is not much taller at all but it is deeper/thicker when needed. Also, the side pockets on the 3550 I though where a little small and the 5500 are perfect.
I will never go back to say Tenzing or Eberlestock X2 day pack after using the Exo. My beef with the regular day packs are stuff like load lifters are not function and side pockets always ended up almost behind me making them hard to reach. Also my My X2 hurt so bad with just 35# never again.

I love my pack as it is set up now. K2 Frame Kifaru belt and 5500 bag. With my pack all sucked in for day use (take just a min to do) the pack feels like an extension of my body and does not ever limit my mobility.

If you want a reference of these packs in day use mode Cory Jacobson has some videos with him using his exo as a day pack you can find on YouTube.

Do you need to modify the Kifaru belt to work with an Exo?

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Do you need to modify the Kifaru belt to work with an Exo?

I did not yet. I just did this 2 weeks ago and so far it is a great improvement for my build. The Exo belt did not work well for me at size 40 waist. It just did not adjust well. I called Exo after last season and they wanted to work on it with me but I never got them the pictures. Then a few months ago I saw a guy on here used the Kifaru belt on the K2 frame. There are some straps on the Kifaru belt that the k2 does not use. I left these in place while testing and the Exo belt has a piece of velcro that keeps the belt in place between the lumbar pad and frame where you slide the belt through. (It's a tight fit) Some guys have added this velcro to the Kifaru belt to match the Exo. I have not yet and so far it has worked just fine. That said I will add it now that I am sure I am keeping the Kifaru belt on the K2 frame.

Hope this helps,
Brett

OP
B

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my 2000 this week. Very high quality bag. Love everything about it except one thing. When I lean my head back it hits the frame and can't tilt my head back to look up. Anyone else have this problem?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman