Exo Belt Sizing (In between small/medium)

Have been really close to ordering an exo 3500 (unless someone wants to sell me a used one ;) ) in the near future but have been stuck on the belt sizing.
I fall RIGHT in the middle of the small and medium as I am usually a 32 inch waist.
Anyone else fall in this category? I am worried that with a small I might be too far on the upper limit of the belt, making it tough to wear with more layers, and conversely i would be on the lower limit of a medium, not being able to cinch it down enough when either summer backpacking or early season hunting.
I did email exo, but steve is out of the office at the moment.
Thanks for any input

twall13

WKR
Agreed, go with the small. You'll have plenty of room for adjustment and if you go with a medium you likely won't be able to cinch it down tight enough under load. I had a similar question when I purchased my 3500, but between M and L. I went with the medium on Steve's advice and there are times I come close to running out of adjustment on the medium when under load so I know the Large would not have worked.

LostArra

WKR
no question
I'm the same size as blackpowder and had to return the medium and exchange for a small which is the first "small" I've ever purchased

OP
blackpowderhunter
no question
I'm the same size as blackpowder and had to return the medium and exchange for a small which is the first "small" I've ever purchased
thanks for the quick feedback guys!
and LostArra, that was probably my main issue, I sometimes get nervous buying medium shirts thinking they'll be too small! I guess its all, or mostly mental!

mauidiver

WKR
Small all the way. I wish I ordered a small. I'm a size 33-34 but when carry over 60lbs, I hit fabric

Small all the way. I wish I ordered a small. I'm a size 33-34 but when carry over 60lbs, I hit fabric

Damn! That's not what I wanted to hear. I was planning on ordering a 3500 tomorrow in foliage and was going to go with a medium belt. I'm a 34 and am currently dropping some lbs. and small foliage hip belts are on back order! lol

Thanks for the info though.

Xtreme007

WKR
I'm a 34 waist and have the medium belt and wish I would have ordered the small. With a heavy load I just about max it out pulling it together. Plus I plan on dropping a few more lbs also so I'd say I will have to get a small multicam belt soon

I'm a 34 waist and have the medium belt and wish I would have ordered the small. With a heavy load I just about max it out pulling it together. Plus I plan on dropping a few more lbs also so I'd say I will have to get a small multicam belt soon

How much room does a small give you past 34" say if you were wearing some heavier pants? Are you still able to at least buckle it?

I ask because being from Michigan and primarily deer hunting, I'm going to use this pack from late October-December and will be wearing bulkier clothes. At least for the next couple years, it will primarily be used more for deer season than elk.

Xtreme007

WKR
I can't speak for the small but I know my medium has way more room than I will ever need with any clothes I wear. I also use mine for mostly deer archery hunting since I live in ky. Just planning my first elk trip for next year and went ahead and bought the pack for deer hunting in ky and Ohio this year. I feel that with a small I would be good with extra layers on in winter with my 34 waist.

c89dfd776b0312bbcac60902cd6647be.jpg

Just re watched the pack fitting video and and Steve is a 32-33, uses a small belt and you can tell he has a bunch of slack left over on each strap. Attached is a screen shot from the video some might find helpful.

twall13

WKR
I can't speak for everyone but I'm a 36 waist so right on the border between medium and large. I went with medium and feel like at times in close to bottoming it out when loaded heavy. It's to the point where I fear if I lost a few pounds is need a small belt. I can't imagine having more bulky clothes really forcing you to size up in the belts. I'd always go smaller on the EXO belts, but that's my take, YMMV.

Hillbilly

FNG
A couple layers of clothing isn't going to use up the slack you have left with a small. Tried mine on with base layer,kanabs,and FL NB pants plus base layers and a NB jacket. Still enough slack at 32" waist.

I have roughly a 33-34 waist and wished I would have ordered the small belt. It works but pretty cinched down with weight. I have not had an elk on the back, but I'm guessing I wished I had a couple more inches of cinching available.

Poser

WKR
I'm also a 33-34 and have to cinch it pretty far down for heavy loads. -not a lot of slack leftover. A small would probably be more ideal for me.