EXO Crib Thoughts

cvanman

Lil-Rokslider
What are your thoughts on the EXO pack running the Crib or just using the straps and "Sandwiching" the load.

I had the K2 with the Crib, and used it but just wanting additional opinions. I hated how the K2 Crub buckles would loosen over time under load. I don't know if the K4 with a crib would be different.

I’m really looking forward to the crib/pocket setup for hunting roosies , the crib, 2 pockets attached like posted in the k4 thread with a lid will be an awesome day hunting setup.

I won’t use the crib and bag, because I see no reason. EXO has always had a very user friendly load shelf using the frame straps and bag to secure the load, it’s been the easiest to secure meat well and put/keep it where i want it, and the k4 looks a little more intuitive yet. I will absolutely be buying the crib, but will use it as a stand alone elk hunting

(This is the pic I was referring to)

Attachments

• 89A77D0D-8F60-421E-9076-B77A75664EAC.jpeg
    89A77D0D-8F60-421E-9076-B77A75664EAC.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 118
I have never used the crib, but have probably 100 training miles with just the straps and bag carrying a 50# bag of powdered lime. It hasn’t slipped at all, and I haven’t adjusted it.

Kuiu and some others don’t have the straps at all, but use other techniques to keep the load high.

I think with the right pack design, a crib isn’t necessary. I so far have not been able to justify buying one.

judders87

FNG
I liked the crib for training. I haven't packed an animal without it so I don't know how much of a difference it would've made but solo packing an elk with it really wasn't that bad.

rclouse79

WKR
I am interested in the beaver tail mode for turkey decoys. I am completely new to exo packs, but it seems like a good idea for meat hauling and the weight penalty is small. I am planning to pick one up once they become available.

TheTone

WKR
I did two turkeys at the same last year without the crib and then half a mule deer later with the crib. The crib made it easier to keep things up higher and tighter

Read1t48

WKR
I’m really looking forward to the crib/pocket setup for hunting roosies , the crib, 2 pockets attached like posted in the k4 thread with a lid will be an awesome day hunting setup.

I won’t use the crib and bag, because I see no reason. EXO has always had a very user friendly load shelf using the frame straps and bag to secure the load, it’s been the easiest to secure meat well and put/keep it where i want it, and the k4 looks a little more intuitive yet. I will absolutely be buying the crib, but will use it as a stand alone elk hunting

(This is the pic I was referring to)
Yes… This would be a perfect day hunting set up. I assume the lid could be cinched down assuming you’re not packing any meat and you just had an empty crib with the pockets?My thought is I could put my cook kit and a dehydrated meal or two in the lid and carry kill kit and first aid kit in the pockets. Was that your thinking?

I have packed a few elk it’s my EXOs and have never used the crib. I don’t want anymore weight added to the pack while hunting and when I carry our a full elk quarter I run the leg bone down because it puts the weight up higher and I don’t have a leg bone sticking up and catching on tree limbs. The straps on the frame also hold the quarter better because it can’t slide down. When I bone out the meat the tag bags sit nicely on the frame and I often fun two side by side.

I do love the crib for training as it holds a sandbag real nice and I can slap a bladder holder on it and the lid if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have a 100# sandbag loaded in the K4 right now. I've done about 5 miles with it, along with lots of pushups and squats. The straps are doing an ok job of holding it but it is slipping out the bottom a bit. I can imagine the crib would be a better option to hold it up. I do plan on adding the crib when available and some more locking buckles and possibly another pouch. Fwiw 100# on this frame feels great.

I have a 100# sandbag loaded in the K4 right now. I've done about 5 miles with it, along with lots of pushups and squats. The straps are doing an ok job of holding it but it is slipping out the bottom a bit. I can imagine the crib would be a better option to hold it up. I do plan on adding the crib when available and some more locking buckles and possibly another pouch. Fwiw 100# on this frame feels great.
Not sure how you are strapping the sandbag, but I did same thing last night and cris cross straps around stand bag, with bottom straps actually running across bottom of sandbag. Therefore, the straps make an X across sandbag. It didn't budge.