Exo Death hike, Invite only?

Bachto

WKR
As the title indicates, is the EXO death hike an invite only event for hunting influencers/big wigs? At least that's what it seems to me. I am looking at doing a large physical challenge/event and the death hike is right up my alley. logistically it wouldn't be difficult as I live in eastern Washington and already have most if not all the gear necessary to do it.

I understand the training aspect of it will be quite the endeavor.

Rob5589

WKR
If you listen to the podcast they explain why it isn't an open event. Basically, liability for the company. Mark and Steve encourage people to do their own "death hikes" as a way to challenge themselves.

huntnful

WKR
It's not for influencers or big wigs lol. Hell, most "influencers" or "Big Wigs" couldn't even do the damn thing haha. It is invite only, but I know several people that did it that hardly have any social media presence, if any at all. I was invited on it by someone that's already done several, and I'm a nobody lol.

Oregonboy

WKR
You should call them and ask. They CS is fantastic, maybe sell yourself a little and see what happens, the worst that happens is they say no, you've got nothing to lose.

OP
Bachto

Bachto

WKR
If you listen to the podcast they explain why it isn't an open event. Basically, liability for the company. Mark and Steve encourage people to do their own "death hikes" as a way to challenge themselves.
This makes sense, I didn't really think of it on that end.

OP
Bachto

Bachto

WKR
It's not for influencers or big wigs lol. Hell, most "influencers" or "Big Wigs" couldn't even do the damn thing haha. It is invite only, but I know several people that did it that hardly have any social media presence, if any at all. I was invited on it by someone that's already done several, and I'm a nobody lol.
Lol I was more trying to be funny but it just seemed like a lot of the guys doing it are in the industry of some sort.

P Carter

WKR
They would also need a permit and other red-tape would apply--in addition to the liability--if the group was too big.

Rob5589

WKR
They would also need a permit and other red-tape would apply--in addition to the liability--if the group was too big.
That's the big issue. Imagine the liability of 30 dudes going 100 miles into the wilderness, for a "death hike."

From what it sounds like, most of the guys are friends from personal and professional backgrounds.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I'm the social media/industry nobody @huntnful was talking about. I've done 5 of them.
Like mentioned, there's the liability of getting hurt plus the liability of a lame duck that ruins the trip. Last year we had 2 new guys that nobody knew. They coordinated and did their own death hike at home first (it was brutal). When they called Mark and told him about it they were a no brainer to invite for the next hike. They're part of the crew now. At this point it's been concentrated down to a tight knit group and very few new people get invited. You either have to know someone or impress the hell out of Steve and Mark.

InDeep

WKR
Start you own .

Last year we did a not so death hike( which rightly so got named the Black Fly 100k . But it was inspired by their endeavors. We did 68 miles in 3 days in august . Heat was the biggest challenge , but so worth it . The problem was we started out with 8 people and it got whittled down to 2 people by game day !

Clarktar

WKR
I penciled one out in the Olympic mountains. East to west traverse. But moved before I got it done. Still on my list.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bighorse

WKR
Big hikes are a PNW past time.
Look up the Baranof Island traverse done by Dan Evans and a partner.
It was a very neat off trail endeavor.
Mad respect to all the forest stomin backcountry athletes on this forum! Cheers

CoStick

WKR
People do it all the time. Especially in the non-hunting realm. Lots of resources and groups out there if it interest you.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Where can you find more information about what the death hike entails?
The exo death hike has no official place to advertise details. A few of them we didn't even know what were doing until a few days before. It usually starts with Steve sending out emails with dates and you agree to go without any idea what your signing up for. The only thing we know is that if the year before seemed too easy Steve doesn't like that and the next year is going to hurt.

From what I gather you gotta be on the get a free pack program lol if you ain't that tight you're not going.
Lol but this is completely unsubstantiated.

Man I'm sure I could endure this and I totally understand the concept to build mental strength.

But the risk of an injury carrying over into hunt season seems way to high.

For the last 10 yrs it seems if I develop a pain its just a new pain I live with forever. Nothing ever heals any more.

AOberti

FNG
From what I gather you gotta be on the get a free pack program lol if you ain't that tight you're not going.
Lol but this is completely unsubstantiated.

Man I'm sure I could endure this and I totally understand the concept to build mental strength.

But the risk of an injury carrying over into hunt season seems way to high.

For the last 10 yrs it seems if I develop a pain its just a new pain I live with forever. Nothing ever heals any more.
I still pay something for my packs and have done the last 5 death hikes. But yeah, you need to be tight with the guys. Solid group....its been a life changing experience and definitely changes your mentality on most things.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
As the title indicates, is the EXO death hike an invite only event for hunting influencers/big wigs? At least that's what it seems to me. I am looking at doing a large physical challenge/event and the death hike is right up my alley. logistically it wouldn't be difficult as I live in eastern Washington and already have most if not all the gear necessary to do it.

I understand the training aspect of it will be quite the endeavor.
Make your own. Hiking for days with people who make a hunting podcast so they can jerk each other off sounds terrible.