Exo dry bag?

Split toe

WKR
Does anybody use the exo dry bag inside of their bag? I have the last two years, but I'm thinking about ditching it this year because I feel you lose some usable space outside the dry bag once it is full and you are trying to cram stuff around it.

Rob5589

WKR
I have one but haven't used it. I agree it does take up space since it does not stretch or conform like the actual bag. I had my pack in some pretty heavy rain two years ago and it stayed mostly dry inside without the dry bag. Most of the moisture was on the back side where water just kind of sat between the pack and my back.

OP
Split toe

Split toe

WKR
I have one but haven't used it. I agree it does take up space since it does not stretch or conform like the actual bag. I had my pack in some pretty heavy rain two years ago and it stayed mostly dry inside without the dry bag. Most of the moisture was on the back side where water just kind of sat between the pack and my back.
That is my problem, it does not stretch. Then I have problem sliding things around the outside of the dry bag. I feel like I am loosing space. So your stuff stayed dry without it?

Rob5589

WKR
That is my problem, it does not stretch. Then I have problem sliding things around the outside of the dry bag. I feel like I am loosing space. So your stuff stayed dry without it?
For the most part, everything was dry. Some stuff against my back was damp but, nothing soaked/dripping wet. I definitely could not fit everything in my pack with the dry bag vs without.

Well you can always use the main side zip to put stuff outside of the dry bag.

I actually kept my 3500 dry bag to use in the 4800
My sleep stuff etc goes in dry bag.
Stove sealed meals etc go between the dry bag and the outside of pack.

I've had a couple of long trips with the potential for serious rain. You might be able to get away with light rain not getting in the back, but if we're honest, the cordura isn't waterproof and it's never going to be.

I find the dry bag a very handy accessory because if it starts raining, you can be confident that everything inside the main compartment is safe, and you can leave things in the outer compartments that are waterproof that you may need to get to in a hurry, like headlamps, etc.

I did a big hike through Papua New Guinea with my Exo and every time it started raining, the rest of the crew had to stop and put their covers on, and I could just keep going. Very convenient.

I did have my bag loaded to the eyeballs one time and I found the drybag made it a little bit harder to pack, but I was happy with the trade-off.

fatlander

WKR
I keep a 50L dry bag bag with me all the time. I can fit everything that has to stay dry in it very quickly, if needed. Then I use it to hang food once I have my camp set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have small ,individual and lightweight waterproof stuff-sacks that I use if I want to ensure stuff stays dry (quilt, puffy, clothing, etc). Not a fan of the dry bag for the reason listed above. I've been in downpours - the bag itself stays relatively dry. I would use a pack cover before I would use the dry bag insert.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I have small ,individual and lightweight waterproof stuff-sacks that I use if I want to ensure stuff stays dry (quilt, puffy, clothing, etc). Not a fan of the dry bag for the reason listed above. I've been in downpours - the bag itself stays relatively dry. I would use a pack cover before I would use the dry bag insert.
I haven’t done an out west hunt yet but I have done my share of backpacking and rucking. This is what I do. I’m sure the little bags all together may weigh slightly more than one big bag. They help me organize and they allow me to separate my stuff quickly. This is what I will do on my hunt. Plus all of my little bags are waterproof as one more layer of protection. I especially use a waterproof compression sack on my sleeping system.

Ain’t nobody got time fo dat. 😉

OkayestHNTR

Lil-Rokslider
What if you were to run the 6400 dry bag in the 4800 pack? Would that eliminate the lack of stretch or just add more bulk?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk Pro

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I use a contractor trashbag to waterproof my Exo. It has worked well for me in South East Alaska and is a good bit lighter than the drybag.

I did the dry bag inside the pack thing this year but it was specifically to isolate items. Clothing, sleeping bag, toiletries, etc were inside the dry bag and accessible by opening the pack roll top and then dry bag roll top.

Tent, sleeping pad, and food were inside the main pack through the side zipper and outside the dry bag. Keeps the filth off my clothes and makes putting damp stuff inside the pack in the morning a non issue.