Exo K2 Frame Questions

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Let me preface this by saying I've never purchased a technical pack in the past. I've always run whatever hunting backpack I could afford or received as gifts. With some financial stability and means I plan to start heading out west so decided to start getting comfortable hauling a load so I started looking for deals on packs.

I was able to pickup an Exo K2 5500 frame and pack for an incredibly good deal, after planning to get a SG X-Curve.

After paying for the pack (it's in transit now) I started reading some of the comparisons between the K2 and K3 frames. Everyone owning a K3 frame seemed to indicate that it was a gigantic upgrade over the K2 and that they always had issues x, y, z with the K2 and that was fixed with the K3. The main issue people mentioned is that the hip belt slide around a lot.

So here's my questions.

1. Does the K2 have a lot of issues that I should be concerned about --- and if so why did so many swear by them before?
2. Is the K3 so much better than the K2 that I will likely be disappointed in the K2?

Just hoping I didn't make a big mistake here...

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my first pack, a K2 3500, and went over 70 miles in Washington, Oregon and Colorado this year with it.

I have no complaints and had no issues with the belt moving around, loosening up, etc...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rawask

FNG
The differences are minor in my opinion. I have both frames. I think you’ll be very happy with the K2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will second above I have both and did reviews on them. Both great at carrying weight and light. I use the k2 for packing and k3 with the bag you will be very happy with the pack.

gfreidy

WKR
You will be fine! I have used the K2 and the Skeleton frame. They all work great for me.

rich99

FNG
I have the K2 and no issues, great pack. I think you will be happy with it.

87TT

WKR
Lets just say that a wise person who had a big hand in the development of the Exo packs told me that if I was happy with my K2 (which I am) that there really wasn't a need to get a K3. I always say that unless it catches fire or gets stolen, I have bought my last pack.

OP
M

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for your responses. Feeling much better after reading all of this.

People like to cheerlead their expensive purchases. The K2 was amazing and great until the K3 came out then the K2 kinda always had such and such problem but the K3 fixed it and now it's amazing with no problems. That is, until the K4 comes out and the cycle continues... You'll be fine with the K2 for many years to come.

aussieJT

FNG
People like to cheerlead their expensive purchases. The K2 was amazing and great until the K3 came out then the K2 kinda always had such and such problem but the K3 fixed it and now it's amazing with no problems. That is, until the K4 comes out and the cycle continues... You'll be fine with the K2 for many years to come.
Good advice!

Skull10

WKR
I have the K2 frame and it works great. I did purchase a K3 hip belt to put on my K2 frame. That, to me was a nice, inexpensive upgrade.

Enjoy your K2. I currently own both the K2 5500 and the new K3 4800. The new pack offers more "convenience" features is all I really see. I still havent been able to get my k3 to fit me as well as my k2 did.

Well if you already bought it then the real way to tell is to load it up and go hiking.

Only major complaint I had with my k2 is the hip belt rubbed me raw no matter how I really had it adjusted.
So I have a kifaru now because they dont use a stiffener in the belt padding.

My complaint with the K2 was the belt not staying on my waist. With a full load of meat it kept slipping and putting all the weight on my shoulders.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Have a k2 3500. Love but have wondered what I'm missing with the k3 myself. Don't know what I'd change in my pack tho. I think you'll be happy.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
I've had both. No, you will not be wishing you had a K3. They're both great, and I didn't think the K3 was significantly superior to the K3. Yeah it has some minor improvements, but I wouldn't hesitate on a K2 at all. I also don't feel like the K3 slipped any less than the K2, which I never really had a problem with.

Rob5589

WKR
I have extra "fluff" around the middle and no azz and have no slippage with 50+ lbs in my K2. The trick is getting it high enough to sit on your hip bones. My guess is most guys wear their pants low and feel the pack should sit the same position.
The tombstone zipper on the new 4800 looks awesome. My old 2000 had it and I miss it on the 3500.