Exo k2 vs k3?

Jlop_2

Lil-Rokslider
Currently own the k2 3500 and wondering if it’s worth selling and upgrading to the k3 4800? Anyone have any experience or made the switch and happy if so. Been using the k2 for backpacking trips and a few diy backpack style hunting Trips in New Mexico. Thanks again. (Apologize if this has already been discussed)

Rob5589

WKR
Overall, I don't think there is enough change to buy an entire new pack, maybe swap out the bag. I believe the frames are the same for the most part. However, I did upgrade mine to the K3 belt which made a significant improvement in comfort and fit.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Not worth upgrading. I do find the K3 more comfortable, it is not as stiff feeling on my back, and the frame extensions help with heavy loads. But, the K2 is a great pack and the velcrow hip belt on the K3 is a big negative to me.

Overall, I do feel the K3 frame and bag are better, but not enough so to justify replacing a K2.

I switched. For me I would have been just as well to keep the k2. I think it fit me a touch better. I don't like the new belt, not a lot of range. I need it all the way out to put it on, then the straps are short and difficult to draw up. It just doesn't have as much free space as it had before. The butt pad seems to slip a little more, I have played with the pads and can't get it like the k2 was. I have a flat back and no butt, so it's the problem I have with most packs. It still stays pretty well, just I can get a little bit of slip with it where I don't remember ever having issues with the k2.

The frame extensions are nice, that's why I upgraded. Pack moves with me well, I like the new lid over the single pocket lid previously. The shoulder straps are probably a little nicer. Overall it's a good pack, just the cost difference wasn't worth it for me. It still works well for me, might be I was just really used to the k2 and the little differences I just didn't like adjusting to. I have a hunting season with the k3 at this point.

Something I just remembered is on the k3 it's a little easier to use the cargo panel. The top of the pack comes off the frame easier with the velcro and makes loading the panel easier. Guess you don't always remember the good things. Belt pouches are a little bigger, that's good and bad.

Last edited:

Gapmaster

WKR
Not worth upgrading. I do find the K3 more comfortable, it is not as stiff feeling on my back, and the frame extensions help with heavy loads. But, the K2 is a great pack and the velcrow hip belt on the K3 is a big negative to me.

Overall, I do feel the K3 frame and bag are better, but not enough so to justify replacing a K2.
Why do you feel the Velcro is a negative? Just curious. I’ve put probably 150-175 miles with weight on mine and haven’t noticed anything.

ndayton

WKR
Unless you have money you are just looking to spend keep the K2, maybe upgrade the belt to the K3 belt but most of the differences for me are more of conveniences for bag removal meat loading and cleaning.
The K3 belt does hold better than my K2 but I had the original style belt which sucked, other than that they seem to carry the same to me.

md126

WKR
I think overall the K3 is an upgrade over the K2. How much of an upgrade depends on what you prioritize in a bag and/or frame design.

In day mode I’d say there’s not much difference, maybe a little more well thought out pockets and features. But for load hauling the frame extending option alone is a big improvement over the K2. Much more comfortable to me.

If it’s worth the extra money or not is a personal decision based on priorities. For me it was.

OP
Jlop_2

Jlop_2

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all of you for the input! Looks like I’ll probably just look into upgrading the hip belt if anything and using the extra money to upgrade my optics for this coming season.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Why do you feel the Velcro is a negative? Just curious. I’ve put probably 150-175 miles with weight on mine and haven’t noticed anything.

At first it was just a theoretical failure point. I told myself to get over it. Then, it failed on me. I had traind with 120 pounds in the pack and no isuues, but on a really wet hunt my partners K3 belt came apart around day 3. We tied it together with 550 cord as it would no longer hold for more than a half mile or so. I thought this was just a fluke with his pack. His camp was about 15 pounds heavier than mine. When I loaded mine up with meat (about 100-120 pounds in all) my belt came apart.

Exo replaced the belts without question and said it is really rare to have a failure. They even made a custome belt for me with more velcro as I was not comfortable with trying the same thing again.

The fix with 550 cord worked well and is easy to do in the field. So I nor my hunting partner feel it is a deal breaker. However, I would prefer a one piece belt just to eliminate the possibility of failure.

Personally, I thing the endless wetness and dirt in South East AK was a major contributer to the failure as nothing dried out the entire hunt and at numerous spots we had to crawl or slide to make headway. Both of us had put in a lot of training with the packs and the belts worked well until after a couple days of that crap.

Gapmaster

WKR
At first it was just a theoretical failure point. I told myself to get over it. Then, it failed on me. I had traind with 120 pounds in the pack and no isuues, but on a really wet hunt my partners K3 belt came apart around day 3. We tied it together with 550 cord as it would no longer hold for more than a half mile or so. I thought this was just a fluke with his pack. His camp was about 15 pounds heavier than mine. When I loaded mine up with meat (about 100-120 pounds in all) my belt came apart.

Exo replaced the belts without question and said it is really rare to have a failure. They even made a custome belt for me with more velcro as I was not comfortable with trying the same thing again.

The fix with 550 cord worked well and is easy to do in the field. So I nor my hunting partner feel it is a deal breaker. However, I would prefer a one piece belt just to eliminate the possibility of failure.

Personally, I thing the endless wetness and dirt in South East AK was a major contributer to the failure as nothing dried out the entire hunt and at numerous spots we had to crawl or slide to make headway. Both of us had put in a lot of training with the packs and the belts worked well until after a couple days of that crap.
Thanks for the info. I haven’t had over 100 but maybe 5 miles and it was dry. I’ll have to keep an eye on it.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the info. I haven’t had over 100 but maybe 5 miles and it was dry. I’ll have to keep an eye on it.

I don't think wet alone will do it, rather prolonged wet combined with dirt. When I washed my pack it took 4-5 renses before the water did not turn brown, there was no visable dirt on the fabric though as the rain would wash the mud off.

Gapmaster

WKR
I don't think wet alone will do it, rather prolonged wet combined with dirt. When I washed my pack it took 4-5 renses before the water did not turn brown, there was no visable dirt on the fabric though as the rain would wash the mud off.
Note to self...don’t hunt in a mud pit! Dang, y’all must’ve been belly crawling or something to get that dirty. Bet you smelled good after that hunt!! Lol

I’d be curious to get more feedback from anybody on this thread that has experience hauling meat with both the k2 and k3. Specifically, the way the k3 bag separates from the frame looks like it would be much more convenient.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I’d be curious to get more feedback from anybody on this thread that has experience hauling meat with both the k2 and k3. Specifically, the way the k3 bag separates from the frame looks like it would be much more convenient.
The change does make separating the bag from the frame faster. Honestly, I would rather the old system as it feels like needless complexity and I don't separate the bag from the frame frequently enough to make the 3 minutes it saves significant. Personally, I feel 1 inch gait keepers would have been a better solution than the Velcro.

Part of this is just personal, I'm a big fan of KISS when possible. One reason I like EXO is they do a good job of keeping it simple, I feel the Velcro hip belt and Velcro frame attachment are the two places where they deviated from that on the K3. I will note, that I'm probably the exception on these and most EXO customers probably prefer the changes.