EXO K3 1800 multiday trip

ostagg

FNG
I am trying to get an idea of which size Exo pack I need to stick with. I got the 1800 bag over the weekend and I was curious if anyone if getting overnight weekend trips out of this bag.

Also if anyone recommends any of the K3 sizes of the other those comments are welcome as well.

Poser

WKR
I could do a summer or early fall overnighter in a 1800 with no spotter or tripod (or with the tripod on the exterior), but I’m pretty compact. Ultralight Thru hikers are routinely doing long distances with packs this size, of course that is without a stove and living off of instant shakes and cold soaked oatmeal. Judging from the average hunter’s pack that I see (guys these days are taking -7,000 size bags out for day hunts for some reason) few hunters can fit into that for an overnighter. -definitely need ultra sub-compact gear: quilt instead of a full bag, tiny stove (if a stove at all) such as a Pocket Rocket, minimal extra clothes, small tarp, UL pad, no luxuries etc.

otherwise, I’d look at whatever the current bag designs offers in the ~3,000 range for overnighters+ with full optics and late season insulation and/or a hot tent.

So, an 1800 overnight for hunting is doable, but not as commonplace as one would expect now that “backpack hunting” has gone mainstream.

OP
ostagg

ostagg

FNG
I could do a summer or early fall overnighter in a 1800 with no spotter or tripod (or with the tripod on the exterior), but I’m pretty compact. Ultralight Thru hikers are routinely doing long distances with packs this size, of course that is without a stove and living off of instant shakes and cold soaked oatmeal. Judging from the average hunter’s pack that I see (guys these days are taking -7,000 size bags out for day hunts for some reason) few hunters can fit into that for an overnighter. -definitely need ultra sub-compact gear: quilt instead of a full bag, tiny stove (if a stove at all) such as a Pocket Rocket, minimal extra clothes, small tarp, UL pad, no luxuries etc.

otherwise, I’d look at whatever the current bag designs offers in the ~3,000 range for overnighters+ with full optics and late season insulation and/or a hot tent.

So, an 1800 overnight for hunting is doable, but not as commonplace as one would expect now that “backpack hunting” has gone mainstream.
Thanks for the reply. That is along the lines of what I figured the bag is capable of. That makes me think the 3200 bag could be a good day pack but still get me in the 5-6 day range if I get my gear dialed in.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The 3200 is a great size. I have done a 6 day hunt out of it, it was a little tight until I eat down some food, but nothing was outside of the bag or on the load shelf. For overnight trips there is always room to spare and it cinches down small. I generally drop the lid as it is not needed.

I've not used Exo's 1800. As pointed out above, a lot depends on your gear.

Drenalin

WKR
I had an 1800 in addition to my 4800 for a short time, but ultimately the 1800 didn't do anything as a daypack that the 4800 couldn't do. For what it's worth, I preferred the horseshoe access of the 4800 over the side zip only access of the 3200 I tried out (even for day hunts). But the 3200 is a great sized pack, in my opinion. All of Exo's bags compress really well, so I don't think there's any harm - other than weight penalty - for sizing up. I think an 1800 with a lid and a dry bag in the meat shelf still comes in around 12 ounces lighter than a 4800, if that's a concern.

But since you've already got the 1800, you can make it work for overnight trips, assuming warm weather and relatively compact gear. I probably would have had to use the meat shelf for camp because I've got a pretty bulky synthetic quilt. Adding the lid would help with other gear, and it fit the 1800 really well I thought.

hunterjmj

WKR
I run a 1400ish Eberlestock for pickup hunting for whitetails or short little trips.
It fits necessity items such as game bags, some food, a coat, etc. but not much more.
It's not a real comfortable pack so it really doesn't get used much.

I recently bought a kifaru Minikeg for day hunts and this thing works perfect for dark to dark day hunts. It holds all my necessities, extra clothing, lots of water, tripod, trekking poles, 15's or spotting scope kill kit, etc. I could definitely do an overnight with the right gear if I wanted.

I also run a kifaru long Hunter which I mainly use to haul meat but I've used it for multiple backpack trips. I think it is around 7000 but not sure. It's definitely over kill for day hunts.

Each one of these packs has a purpose depending on what and how I'm hunting. For 90% of my hunts the Minikeg fits the bill at 2300-2800ci plus side pockets and pouches.

When I was young I hunted with an uncomfortable squeaky external frame jansport pack and I thought it was the cats meow. It worked but I didn't know any better. I think we're a spoiled now days with all the choices we have.
Sorry for the rant.