EXO K3 4800 and Stone Glacier 6900

Rghunter2

FNG
Looking at these two packs and I think I have read every article and watched every video on these. Leaning towards the SG but I keep looking at the EXO. From what I read, the XCurve frame handles weight a little better. I don't need the space of the 6900 but for the minimal weight increase over the 5900, I would go that route. Use will be packing in 7-10 miles in CO chasing elk. I have a some questions about these packs.

1. If you put the load crib on the K3 does the Xcurve still handle weight better. Most of what I read about the K3 is the load can shift a little. Am i looking at this wrong or would the crib take care of that issue?

2. The bulk of my time with with this pack will not be loaded down. I will carry 50-60 pounds(max) into the mountains and use the pack as a day pack when i am there. Hopefully i pack out meat but i assume the bulk of the use will be lighter weights. I see a lot of comments on how comfortable the K3 is with lighter weight. Does it make a better pack if you take the meat hauling out of the equation?

Unfortunately i have no access to these without ordering them, which i might have to do and just return the one that doesn't work. Not really interested in any other packs or configurations that what is listed above. Thank you in advance for any help here.

Well sadly I'm not much help as I am in almost the exact same boat lol
I'm just looking at the Evo SG

From my research I think both are great packs and you couldn't go wrong with either.
I'm planning to order one of each and keep the most comfortable/one I like the most and return the other

sneaky

"DADDY"
If loads shift on any pack, more often than not they were secured improperly by the wearer. All of the new packs you can cinch loads down tight. You can't go wrong with either choice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Like yourself, last year I was researching like crazy. I ended up going with the Exo 4800. I have not regretted it. I haven’t had any issues with heavy loads shifting, I have had over 100lbs on that frame. It also compresses down into a great day pack. Whatever you choose, I’m sure you won’t regret it either. Both are great companies!

Order both and keep the one you like more. Direct apples to apples comparison with your first hand experience is the best way, especially with something as expensive as these packs.

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
Like others said above, if you could buy both to try that would probably be best.

I've ran both, I like the bag design of Exo 4800 a little better than the SG 5900 and 6900 bags, but the SG frame shape personally fit me way better. The other thing that sold me on the SG was the load shelf setup. Securing loads between the bag and frame of the Exo worked just fine, and didn't shift too much on me side to side, but it wants to sag down towards the bottom of the frame, This happened with a de-boned meat load. Even cinching the bottom of the bag down tight, the de-boned meat wanted to work its way down. I think some people this is a non-issue, but I like the load to be up above the waist belt a little. That is where the load shelf on the SG really shined for me, it keeps the load up higher in the middle of your back better. Both are awesome packs, I was really splitting hairs with my pros and cons with both.

OP
R

Rghunter2

FNG
Like others said above, if you could buy both to try that would probably be best.

I've ran both, I like the bag design of Exo 4800 a little better than the SG 5900 and 6900 bags, but the SG frame shape personally fit me way better. The other than that sold me on the SG was the load shelf setup. Securing loads between the bag and frame of the Exo worked just fine, and didn't shift too much on me side to side, but it wants to sag down towards the bottom of the frame, This happened with a de-boned meat load. Even cinching the bottom of the bag down tight, the de-boned meat wanted to work its way down. I think some people this is a non-issue, but I like the load to be up above the waist belt a little. That is where the load shelf on the SG really shined for me, it keeps the load up higher in the middle of your back better. Both are awesome packs, I was really splitting hairs with my pros and cons with both.

I've ran both, I like the bag design of Exo 4800 a little better than the SG 5900 and 6900 bags, but the SG frame shape personally fit me way better. The other than that sold me on the SG was the load shelf setup. Securing loads between the bag and frame of the Exo worked just fine, and didn't shift too much on me side to side, but it wants to sag down towards the bottom of the frame, This happened with a de-boned meat load. Even cinching the bottom of the bag down tight, the de-boned meat wanted to work its way down. I think some people this is a non-issue, but I like the load to be up above the waist belt a little. That is where the load shelf on the SG really shined for me, it keeps the load up higher in the middle of your back better. Both are awesome packs, I was really splitting hairs with my pros and cons with both.
I believe the crib for the exo would address that issue. I might just have to break down and order both. Like you, I think the bag design on the exo is more desirable but people swear by that xcurve.

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the crib for the exo would address that issue. I might just have to break down and order both. Like you, I think the bag design on the exo is more desirable but people swear by that xcurve.
I had to go on their website and look at the crib... I never really explored it before, I just ran loads between bag and frame. It sure looks like that crib panel would solve the problem of the meat wanting to sag down. Good luck with your decision!

IMO the EXO is more comfortable with 50# or less just because it moves with you a little better and is just "cushier" feeling. The SG is not uncomfortable at all, you can just feel it a bit more.

The entirety of why I would say the SG handles meat packing better is because the belt/lumbar pad stays up on my hips better where as the softer EXO lumbar pads don't stick to my back as well. I would definitely add the crib to the exo though. I do like the EXO crib a bit better but have had no issues with the SG load sling setup.

My current choice is the SG but I wouldn't be unhappy with exo either.

md126

WKR
The Exo crib load panel would solve any shift/sag issues you have with a heavy load, although I’ve never had a problem with just using the frame/bag to secure a load. The crib is an awesome accessory for many other reasons too.

At very heavy loads the SG will have an edge due to the overall stiffer frame and lumbar. The trade off obviously is less comfort in general. Everything has a trade off...

The K3 bags are more user friendly and have better features/organization than the SG in my opinion and experience.

I’ve used SG xcurve for last 2 years and has been my favorite frame. I just got the revised Exo k3 frame. They added some hook and loop to the back lumbar pad to keep it from shifting up and down. So far I’m really liking it and it has been a hair more comfortable with 60lbs them xcurve. I’ve said it before someone always gets paid, meaning If you want a soft plush feel the majority of time them you will pay for it on heavy loads and vice versa. Packs can’t have it both ways. Xcurve has a stiffer more rigid lumbar, still feels good, but shines under heavy load. Exo designs packs with more cushion, flex and stretch so it feels great all day. However this will tend to sag some under heavy load. I think Exo has solved some of that with the k3 frame and for me the overall comfort is king. Based on my testing of the k3 I am leaning towards soley using the Exo this year. The more I used it, the more I love it.

Reactions: pk_