Exo K3 4800 Pack System Review ***Updated 2/10/20***

Vandy321

WKR
Been doing alot of reading/watching on this pack...the only potential negative i have seen is that some folks are saying the K3 lumbar pad, even with the shims is soft under heavier loads and feels like it slides down. I have zero ability to try on a K3 before I buy. Its between that and the SG Xcurve....have not seen a bad review of SG, but do realize alot of that is personal preference on fit. Coming from my current kifaru tactical frame I just never could get to fit. Are my fears of a soft/rolling lumber pad overblown?

Been doing alot of reading/watching on this pack...the only potential negative i have seen is that some folks are saying the K3 lumbar pad, even with the shims is soft under heavier loads and feels like it slides down. I have zero ability to try on a K3 before I buy. Its between that and the SG Xcurve....have not seen a bad review of SG, but do realize alot of that is personal preference on fit. Coming from my current kifaru tactical frame I just never could get to fit. Are my fears of a soft/rolling lumber pad overblown?
Unfortunately this is the only frame pack I have owned so I am unable to offer comparisons. I will say that with the heavy load s intend to run the hip belt tight, maybe if there are better lumbar pads they would grip better to help keep the load up and the belt wouldn’t have to be as tight. With the shoulder straps too high the hip belt was lower below my belly button and I experienced a good bit of hip pain that way with heat loads. By moving the buckle in line with my belly button the hip pain went away.

Vandy321

WKR
We'll see how it goes...I ordered a K3/4800 last night...was on my 2nd set of stays with my Kifaru frame and was still slipping with anything over 60#. Tried the SG X-Curve last night at a shop with 50# in it... was rock solid against my lumbar, but the shoulder harness and bag design left something to be desired for me. Hoping, 3rd time (bag) is a charm. If not, I'll probably go with the SG and deal with the shoulder straps, that bag made 50#'s feel

mt100gr.

WKR
FWIW, I have packed a lot of miles under heavy loads with the X-curve, krux evo, kifaru gen2 duplex, kifaru bikini frame, kifaru hunter, seek outside revo, and exo k3. Currently the only heavy hauling pack I own is the exo K3.

I thought slipping belts and re-adjusting the shoulder straps was just part of the deal when weights are near or over the triple digit mark. I'm glad I tried the exo. For me, the fit is the best I have found.
We'll see how it goes...I ordered a K3/4800 last night...was on my 2nd set of stays with my Kifaru frame and was still slipping with anything over 60#. Tried the SG X-Curve last night at a shop with 50# in it... was rock solid against my lumbar, but the shoulder harness and bag design left something to be desired for me. Hoping, 3rd time (bag) is a charm. If not, I'll probably go with the SG and deal with the shoulder straps, that bag made 50#'s feel

FWIW, I have packed a lot of miles under heavy loads with the X-curve, krux evo, kifaru gen2 duplex, kifaru bikini frame, kifaru hunter, seek outside revo, and exo k3. Currently the only heavy hauling pack I own is the exo K3.

I thought slipping belts and re-adjusting the shoulder straps was just part of the deal when weights are near or over the triple digit mark. I'm glad I tried the exo. For me, the fit is the best I have found.

I think packs are like boots, gotta just try them until one works for you’re build. I own a K3 and a duplex lite and I have the opposite situation as you, the K3 slips at anything over 70lbs and I’m always stopping to lift it up on my lower back, while the duplex doesn’t budge at loads up to 130lbs. However, I do love the 3200 K3 features, weight, and simplicity.

Biggest thing I’ve learned is just spend a season with a pack, if you have issues then sell it and try another reputable pack. Keep going till you find the perfect fit and call it a day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zwickeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I agree. Go bigger when in doubt. They both compress about the same in day mode. I can get 8-9 days in my K2 5500 but its snug. It also comes down to which zipper system you like better

AD338

FNG
I think packs are like boots, gotta just try them until one works for you’re build. I own a K3 and a duplex lite and I have the opposite situation as you, the K3 slips at anything over 70lbs and I’m always stopping to lift it up on my lower back, while the duplex doesn’t budge at loads up to 130lbs. However, I do love the 3200 K3 features, weight, and simplicity.

Biggest thing I’ve learned is just spend a season with a pack, if you have issues then sell it and try another reputable pack. Keep going till you find the perfect fit and call it a day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm currently looking to buy a new pack and I thought I was sold on EXO, but I've heard numerous reports of slippage. I do have a deep lumbar, I'm wondering if you think that contributes to the slippage of EXO when packing heavier loads?

I'm currently leaning towards Kifaru, since I don't have the money to buy both and compare.

I'm currently looking to buy a new pack and I thought I was sold on EXO, but I've heard numerous reports of slippage. I do have a deep lumbar, I'm wondering if you think that contributes to the slippage of EXO when packing heavier loads?

I'm currently leaning towards Kifaru, since I don't have the money to buy both and compare.

I have a deep Lumbar as well and the K3 slipped a lot over 50lbs. I’ve heard a rumor that exo may be tweaking the lumbar portion on the K3 frame. I don’t know if this will address the slippage, but I’m sure they have heard the overwhelming feedback of the slippage issue. If they fixed that Exo arguably is the best pack

For some reason they switched the lumbar pad material from the K2 to a stretchy fabric with grippy little bump things on it. You can literally stretch the fabric with your hands so you can imagine what it does under pressure on your lower back with 100lbs, it just sags. The kifaru has so much grip I actually was almost raw on my lower back after packing out my elk for a few days this year, maybe an issue on the other end of the spectrum but I prefer that over a sagging pack.

I agree with @Fins_N_Tines, if exo fixed their slippage issue I think I would prefer their simplistic system the most. My 44mag is over 2lbs heavier than my 3200 too which is a ton. I hear kifaru is expanding their xpac line though in 2021...so if they can make a ~4000ci pack in the 5lb range I think that would be pretty badass. I also like kifaru’s customer service and friendliness more. Exo has been good don’t get me wrong, but kifaru has just been above and beyond helpful and I’ve really appreciated it. This is personal experience though and I’m sure others have had different experiences.

md126

WKR
I had far less slippage with heavy load with the Exo when I had the frame extended to 26.5”. Probably because it fit the shape of my back better at that height and the load lifters are more effective. Just my experience...

The only frame that I’ve had zero slippage on is the SG X-Curve.

Hello all, FNG here and this is my first experience with any type of load bearing pack, aside from my trappers basket. I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who provided excellent information for research purposes. In Nov 2020 I went out west to Montana to hunt Mule Deer on BLM. The K3 4800 Exo pack worked amazing packing out my buck. I haven't back pack hunted out of it yet, but as previously mentioned again and again it compresses down to an awesome day pack. First western hunt of many in the books, and thanks again to everyone for the research help!!

Attachments

• 2020 MT Mule Packed.jpg
    2020 MT Mule Packed.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 35
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all, FNG here and this is my first experience with any type of load bearing pack, aside from my trappers basket. I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who provided excellent information for research purposes. In Nov 2020 I went out west to Montana to hunt Mule Deer on BLM. The K3 4800 Exo pack worked amazing packing out my buck. I haven't back pack hunted out of it yet, but as previously mentioned again and again it compresses down to an awesome day pack. First western hunt of many in the books, and thanks again to everyone for the research help!!
Glad your pack worked well and congratulations on a great buck!

I had far less slippage with heavy load with the Exo when I had the frame extended to 26.5”. Probably because it fit the shape of my back better at that height and the load lifters are more effective. Just my experience...

The only frame that I’ve had zero slippage on is the SG X-Curve.
Agree completely. That’s why I continue to use the xcurve.

Vandy321

WKR
While I really liked the simplicity of the loadshelf access, my biggest issue with the K3 with just 60lbs on the load shelf, it felt like the frame shifted/flexed when stepping over fences or anything off balance. The x-curve with 80lbs is rock solid for me when doing the same. Belt/lumbar slippage was not a big issue with the K3, although I do like the stickier/firmer rubber of the Kifaru/SG lumber pads.

The selling point of the Exo K3 for me was the bag (4800), so I thought. The clamshell opening was not as large as some others (the SG 5900 in particular). Also, for the side pockets everyone raves about, i found that if i pack the main bag full enough then both the side pockets and the water bottle pockets almost become unusable with very little excess space. I could fit trekking poles on one side, but no chance for a tripod or spotter with the main bag full, and really tight even for a nalgene in the side pocket, again with the main bag completely full.

Exo is a fantastic company and no doubt a great pack. But, if you can buy a few brands to try at home for a side by side comparison, it's the only sure way to make sure you have the best pack for you.

I've had a kuiu icon pro, kifaru tactical, Exo K3 and SG X-curve. I now only have the x-curve/sky 5900. Your mileage can and most likely will vary. Pack fit is 100% subjective and reading reviews on the internet can help, but until you get that pack on your back with weight, there is no way to know what's best for you.

Last edited:
While I really liked the simplicity of the loadshelf access, my biggest issue with the K3 with just 60lbs on the load shelf, it felt like the frame shifted/flexed when stepping over fences or anything off balance. The x-curve with 80lbs is rock solid for me when doing the same. Belt/lumbar slippage was not a big issue with the K3, although I do like the stickier/firmer rubber of the Kifaru/SG lumber pads.

The selling point of the Exo K3 for me was the bag (4800), so I thought. The clamshell opening was not as large as some others (the SG 5900 in particular). Also, for the side pockets everyone raves about, i found that if i pack the main bag full enough then both the side pockets and the water bottle pockets almost become unusable with very little excess space. I could fit trekking poles on one side, but no chance for a tripod or spotter with the main bag full, and really tight even for a nalgene in the side pocket, again with the main bag completely full.

Exo is a fantastic company and no doubt a great pack. But, if you can buy a few brands to try at home for a side by side comparison, it's the only sure way to make sure you have the best pack for you.

I've had a kifaru tactical, Exo K3 and SG X-curve. I know only have the x-curve/sky 5900. Your mileage can and most likely will vary. Pack fit is 100% subjective and reading reviews on the internet can help, but until you get that pack on your back with weight, there is no way to know what's best for you.
To add to your valid points, I too am a huge Exo fan but I also didn’t like how the bag narrows around bottom creating a wedge. If you used a sleeping bag in a stuff sack it makes for a lot of dead space making the 4800 bag feel even smaller. I know why they did it, but I personally do not think the wedge shape helps at all to keep load up higher.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider

I've had a kifaru tactical, Exo K3 and SG X-curve. I know only have the x-curve/sky 5900. Your mileage can and most likely will vary. Pack fit is 100% subjective and reading reviews on the internet can help, but until you get that pack on your back with weight, there is no way to know what's best for you.

I would recommend to anyone looking at Exo (having used both) to find a K2 5500, or a K3 frame with K2 5500 bag over the 4800.

Man that great congrats