Exo K3 4800 Pack System Review ***Updated 2/10/20***

IMHO, I would definitely go with the larger size... I've done 7 day + trips with the old 5500 and really wished I had a larger bag. (But my experience is based on the K2 version). I just personally always go bigger when in doubt.

Yes I would agree with you. Ived used the k2 3500 and 5500 and definitely was happier with the 5500. I just really like the horseshoe zipper and zip stretch pocket of the 4800, but I agree I think I would be disappointed with the smaller bag. I used a 6200 bag couple weeks ago on a 7 day hunt and I needed more space.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
They say the 4800 is 5200 with lid. Do you think the 4800 is big enough for a 7 day hunt? I'm thinking the 6400 is probably better suited for a 7 day hunt.

I think that depends on the gear a person has and time of year. I could easily do seven days with it for most of my hunts. If it's a question though, I would go bigger.

IMHO, I would definitely go with the larger size... I've done 7 day + trips with the old 5500 and really wished I had a larger bag. (But my experience is based on the K2 version). I just personally always go bigger when in doubt.

Exactly

Yes I would agree with you. Ived used the k2 3500 and 5500 and definitely was happier with the 5500. I just really like the horseshoe zipper and zip stretch pocket of the 4800, but I agree I think I would be disappointed with the smaller bag. I used a 6200 bag couple weeks ago on a 7 day hunt and I needed more space.

If you used a 6200 and it wasn't big enough, I think you know the answer to your own question.....

md126

WKR
If you look closely the new 6400 is only slightly larger than the old 5500. They calculated the c.i a little differently between the K2 and K3

Anyway, I think you could do 7 days out of the 5500 and 6400. When in doubt I’d go bigger on bag size as a general rule

I think that depends on the gear a person has and time of year. I could easily do seven days with it for most of my hunts. If it's a question though, I would go bigger.

Exactly

If you used a 6200 and it wasn't big enough, I think you know the answer to your own question.....

Justin I understand that it seemed like a no brainer question, but I have also used an Exo 3500 on 6 day hunt and made it work even though it was maxed out. Every company and bag layout is a little different and some pack bigger then others.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you look closely the new 6400 is only slightly larger than the old 5500. They calculated the c.i a little differently between the K2 and K3

Anyway, I think you could do 7 days out of the 5500 and 6400. When in doubt I’d go bigger on bag size as a general rule
That is the very reason I want to see one in person, just really want to see that difference and how much it is...

ed2brute

FNG

Agreed. I’ve test packed the 4800 with solo late season gear and it all fit with 5 days of food. Nothing was strapped to the outside (except the rifle) but it was pretty much maxed out. The R7 rated pad and a shelter I can stand up in with a stove and liners could easily be replaced with different choices and make room for 7 days of food ... and maybe 10. Totally depends on your gear and time of year.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I just handed this pack off to a friend of mine who is going into the wilderness for a week long elk hunt. He's hiking in quite a ways so he'll get a good test if he scores on a bull. Should have his feedback at the end of next week.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Kifaru is always a great choice.

The K3 belt is much better than the K2 imo. You may want to check it out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Kifaru is always a great choice.

The K3 belt is much better than the K2 imo. You may want to check it out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thanks,
I think both companies have great values and want to support them both. But I also like how much lighter Exo is.
Tuff decision I'm sick of spending tho.
Just looking for something that works day in and out.

Thanks,
I think both companies have great values and want to support them both. But I also like how much lighter Exo is.
Tuff decision I'm sick of spending tho.
Just looking for something that works day in and out.

I had the same problem with my Exo switched to Stone Glacier this year and their X curve frame just stays put and doesn't slip. I really like Exo which is why I want to try the new K3, but instead of spending more money I think its best for me to stick with my SG since I have no reason to change.

I had the same problem with my Exo switched to Stone Glacier this year and their X curve frame just stays put and doesn't slip. I really like Exo which is why I want to try the new K3, but instead of spending more money I think its best for me to stick with my SG since I have no reason to change.

My lady has a 22" kifaru. After season I'm gonna load it down and see how it does.

Slim79x

FNG
Not sure how helpful this might be but I figured it can't hurt to share my own experience from a few weeks ago. Full disclosure, my K3 4800 is only the 2nd framed pack i've owned/tried (replaced my K2 3500). I threw 2 elk quarters on the frame and packed them out a little over a mile and with the belt and load lifter straps adjusted it was as comfortable as hauling that much weight can be. No slippage on the belt or lumbar pad and all the weight went into my ass which by the time we got back to the truck was on fire. Hope that's helpful to somebody!

Attachments

• IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    631.1 KB · Views: 187
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure how helpful this might be but I figured it can't hurt to share my own experience from a few weeks ago. Full disclosure, my K3 4800 is only the 2nd framed pack i've owned/tried (replaced my K2 3500). I threw 2 elk quarters on the frame and packed them out a little over a mile and with the belt and load lifter straps adjusted it was as comfortable as hauling that much weight can be. No slippage on the belt or lumbar pad and all the weight went into my ass which by the time we got back to the truck was on fire. Hope that's helpful to somebody!

Thanks for sharing your review. Glad it's working well for you.

I just got a report from my buddy that is testing out my pack this week and he scored on a great bull. Sounds like the pack worked great for him as well.

b76334bd3d6409af090b47301eb907dc.jpg