Exo K3 4800 Pack System Review ***Updated 2/10/20***

View attachment 120530

The pack performed very well with my gear in it and a heavy rifle strapped to the outside. I really like the hip belt and the ability to customize the length for a perfect fit. There is a lot of organization built into the bag and I feel it compresses as well or better than any I have ever used. The rifle carrier works well even with a 12-pound rifle. I wish the compression straps had auto-lock buckles so they would loosen up. It's not a problem all the time but it can be depending on the angle the strap is at. For instance, the upper strap over the rifle would loosen sometimes. I would also like to see a water bottle pocket option added for the hip belt.

Same thing for me! I almost lost my bow TWICE in only a couple miles with those straps. They really need to address this IMO as I'm sure some guys have already dropped rifles and bows off their packs during hunts by now. I'm not sure why they changed their buckles this year but it was the wrong call. The same straps on my K2 2000 and 5500 with the old buckles never had this issue.

Awesome.
My K2 slips bad.
I'm considering a Kifaru frame with a 4800 Exo bag for next year.
I've been using the exo bags on a Kifaru frame the last 2 seasons and it works perfectly. Best of both worlds IMO, you get the light weight and simple exo bags with the durability and comfort of the Kifaru frame/belt/lumbar pad.

Ricenuts

FNG
Hey guys, new member and kinda new to the whole backpacking thing too. I'm reading around and familiarizing myself with the different higher end packs. looking to buy my first good pack (I use an under armor pack now and it sucks). I'm wondering if anyone else has concerns with the velcro wearing? I'm worried that everything is more or less held together by velcro...

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Some pieces are connected with Velcro but I've personally never had an issue with it coming apart.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

JBH

FNG
Trying to decide between this and the 3200. Can't really see a reason to not go ahead and get the 4800 for when you need it. They both seem to pack down to almost the same size and weight difference is not much.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
I got mine last Monday and was worried about how it would be for a daypack. I am amazed at how well it sucks up into nothing. I loaded my day gear and there is no flopping or loose material at all after sucking it down. I also put and 80 pound sandbag in it (total weight about 95 pounds with day gear included) and went for a 3 mile hike on Friday. It rode exceptionally well as compared to the mystery ranch pintler I had and sold and I had zero sore spots yesterday. With the MR it killed my lower spine and I couldn’t keep it from slipping. With the K3s lumbar pad it was nothing but comfort and I had zero slippage. Well worth the extra money in my opinion.

Slim79x

FNG
Trying to decide between this and the 3200. Can't really see a reason to not go ahead and get the 4800 for when you need it. They both seem to pack down to almost the same size and weight difference is not much.
Get the 4800, it is pretty amazing how compressed it can get for day excursions and the weight difference is negligible.

Crusader

WKR
JBH, a few months ago I was in your shoes, debating 4800 vs. 3200. I ordered them both and kept the 4800, returned the other. The 4800 has a couple of real cool features that the 3200 doesn't: it has a horseshoe zipper on the front that gives you main bag access (in addition to the roll top under the lid) and also, a zippered small "compartment" on the front where you can store smaller items you need ready access to. The 3200 doesn't have either of those features. Plus, like others have said, the 4800 compresses down to a small bag very readily.

pbs76

FNG
I've been using the exo bags on a Kifaru frame the last 2 seasons and it works perfectly. Best of both worlds IMO, you get the light weight and simple exo bags with the durability and comfort of the Kifaru frame/belt/lumbar pad.
I didn't know this was an option. Thanks for the info!

sivart

WKR
Those who have used the EXO and Kifaru frames, which do you feel carries weight more comfortably?

View attachment 120529

The trip was awesome. The bear hunting not so much. We took horses into my best bear spot and set up a small base camp. Then we spent five days hiking and spiking out and only ended up seeing two bears. Both were a long ways away and when we got closer we couldn't find them again.

View attachment 120530

The pack performed very well with my gear in it and a heavy rifle strapped to the outside. I really like the hip belt and the ability to customize the length for a perfect fit. There is a lot of organization built into the bag and I feel it compresses as well or better than any I have ever used. The rifle carrier works well even with a 12-pound rifle. I wish the compression straps had auto-lock buckles so they would loosen up. It's not a problem all the time but it can be depending on the angle the strap is at. For instance, the upper strap over the rifle would loosen sometimes. I would also like to see a water bottle pocket option added for the hip belt.
Thanks for the review!

kiddogy

WKR
Those who have used the EXO and Kifaru frames, which do you feel carries weight more comfortably?
can't speak to kifaru but I just packed out my first mule deer with my exo 3500and is was pretty comfy. don't know what it weighed but I would say it was in the neighborhood of 150#s. more then I generally want to carry , for sure

What are you using for a lid w this system?

What are you using for a lid w this system?
The exo lid. K2 lid worked great but currently having to cross my straps with my defective K3 lid for the time being until I get the correctly sewn lid. I made 2 straps from some webbing from an old trail cam strap, a couple of those whatever-they're-called snap clips that kuiu uses and the buckles from Exo.
0bccea5f6579cafba36a08e2f8cbcd7b.jpg
1246f95431dca4196b0d790d70e583c1.jpg
ab14d3e5be9924109cee04b46d3d650f.jpg

The exo lid. K2 lid worked great but currently having to cross my straps with my defective K3 lid for the time being until I get the correctly sewn lid. I made 2 straps from some webbing from an old trail cam strap, a couple of those whatever-they're-called snap clips that kuiu uses and the buckles from Exo.
0bccea5f6579cafba36a08e2f8cbcd7b.jpg
1246f95431dca4196b0d790d70e583c1.jpg
ab14d3e5be9924109cee04b46d3d650f.jpg

Thank you for the pics.
I see theres alot of customizing straps.
I actually ordered a 26" and 44mag the other day.
I figured my lady mite use the 44 if I dont like it or they seem to sell like hot cakes on here.

I just love the layout of the exo bag sooo much better.
If the Kifaru was a little easier to use the meat shelf like the K3 and the 44 had some stretch pockets on the side.
Who knows I may end up with an entire k3 as well.
Multiple tags and bloody packs in bear country made us want extra packs this yr.

kiddogy

WKR
I have a question for the backpacker crowd. is there an adapter buckle for the EXO packs that is female /female so one could quickly adapt a male end buckle to female??

I ran into a situation in the field this weekend where that would have been much more convienient then having to change out/swap buckles.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have a question for the backpacker crowd. is there an adapter buckle for the EXO packs that is female /female so one could quickly adapt a male end buckle to female??

I ran into a situation in the field this weekend where that would have been much more convienient then having to change out/swap buckles.

I haven't seen one myself.