Exo K3 4800 Pack System Review ***Updated 2/10/20***

38Gcaddy

FNG
My guide uses EXO. Loves it.
Been using my K3 4800 compressed as a day back for the past weeks and couldn’t be happier. I was originally planning on buying the new 2000ish bag, but the 4800 compresses so well, there is no need. Pack is really comfy. Hiked 30 miles in the first 3 days of season with about 15-20 lbs and have zero complaints.

Are the EXO packs only available from them directly?

TravisIN

WKR
What does it have in the bladder compartment to hold your bladder? Toggle and loop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
That's really hard to say. Both are extremely comfortable for me while hiking with my gear and loaded with meat. The Kifaru may have a slight advantage in comfort if the loads are over 80-100 lbs. and the Exo may be slightly better for lighter loads like under 40 lbs.

I've been running mine extended all season. The extension is a cool feature but I personally have no reason to use it in the short configuration.

Are you a taller guy, or have a long torso? Just wondering if running the taller configuration all the time will work for me

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Are you a taller guy, or have a long torso? Just wondering if running the taller configuration all the time will work for me

I'm 5'10" with a normal torso. I just don't personally have any reason to lower the top of my pack. All my other packs have 26" frames and don't cause me any issues.

mt100gr.

WKR
I'm 5'10" with a normal torso. I just don't personally have any reason to lower the top of my pack. All my other packs have 26" frames and don't cause me any issues.
Justin, I remember reading that you're not a water bladder guy. How accessible is a bottle in the deep stretchy pockets on this pack. I really like getting the bottle off my belt.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin, I remember reading that you're not a water bladder guy. How accessible is a bottle in the deep stretchy pockets on this pack. I really like getting the bottle off my belt.

The stretch pockets on the sides work like most the others I've used. They are hard for me to reach with the pack on. If it's full, I either have to take the pack off or ask my buddy to put the bottle away for me.

The bladder system on the K3 is the best I've personally used. It has its own zipper on the outside of the bag and the waterproof material that divides it from the rest of your gear is one of those "duh" kind of features that every pack should have.

A water bottle in the side pockets is 100% inaccessible unless your an orangutan. That’s my only gripe about this pack. I have a few packs with shallower pockets that I can get a bottle in and out while wearing the pack. It’s forced me to use a bladder which makes it easier to drink more regularly so that’s a positive, but I still carry a throwaway bottle for flavor packets.

Anybody using the Belt pouch? Comments?

Does Exo ever do a show discount or put these on sale?

The belt pouch does what it needs to. Plenty of room and easy to access. Kind of a pain to take on and off but I leave mine on so not a big deal.

mt100gr.

WKR
A water bottle in the side pockets is 100% inaccessible unless your an orangutan. That’s my only gripe about this pack. I have a few packs with shallower pockets that I can get a bottle in and out while wearing the pack. It’s forced me to use a bladder which makes it easier to drink more regularly so that’s a positive, but I still carry a throwaway bottle for flavor packets.
Thanks for that info. That's a concern as I prefer using bottles....still working that out in the process.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
There are options for water bottle holders that can go on the belt but not made by Exo. I can't remember the brand of the one I used to have.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

choovhntr

WKR
I had a water bottle holder made for my k2 and it works great. There are a couple guys on here that make them and they are very well made.

jingalls

Lil-Rokslider
Justin & Matt, I don’t want to hijack this review thread but I have some questions you could answer. I’m going on my first Alaskan drop hunt for Caribou in August 2020. Weight limit is 50# for ALL gear. Exo seems to be the lightest and strongest with the most positive reviews. I’ve never owned an Exo pack.

We are planning a 7 day hunt but can extend it longer if we wish. So with that said, is the 4800 big enough given the fact that the lid expands for more room? I would also like to use this pack for my elk hunts. So I’m a little hesitant to go larger as I don’t need it for that. And I’m on a tight budget so I’m trying to get gear that I can use for multi styles of hunts.

Drenalin

WKR
Well now I'm feeling all self-conscious about my arm length and ape-like build. I've been carrying a 33.8 ounce Smartwater bottle in my side pocket and haven't had an issue getting it in or out with the pack on, but a normal height bottle would be a problem for me. That may be a bigger bottle than most guys want to carry, IDK.

aussieJT

FNG
I haven't had a chance to put a lot of weight in it yet but I expect it will work as well or better based on what I've seen and hauling about 30 lbs in it.

The K2 was a great pack design in my opinion and I didn't have much to complain about when I reviewed it a couple years ago. Exo K2 Review

The new frame has the ability to extend which is an awesome feature for guys who don't want a tall frame catching on brush but need it for heavy pack outs. The waste belt is the most customizable I have used due to the velcro attachment that allows you to extend it by one inch per side. I also like the material on the inside of the belt better than the K2. I like the old weapon carrier better than the new rifle carrier since I thought it was easier to get the butt of the rifle in and out of. The water bladder pocket is really cool if you're a bladder guy. I tested it on my trip for the review even though I don't normally use one. It was easy to get the bladder in and out after loosening up the bag since the pocket is sepperated from the main bag. I really liked the way the lid attached and the dual pockets were great for extra organization.

As I'm typing all this I think I need to do a video to show all the features. I'll try to get something done by this weekend if possible.
Great info thanks!

tdhanses

WKR
Anybody using the Belt pouch? Comments?

Does Exo ever do a show discount or put these on sale?

Not sure on show discounts but if you are a member of elk 101’s university of elk hunting you get a 10% discount but that membership costs more then the discount if you don’t use the elk hunting university info.