Exo K3 4800 Pack System Review ***Updated 2/10/20***

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, I just received a K3 Spyder frame and 4800 bag, along with some accessories to test out. I'm currently in the process of loading up for a backcountry bear hunt so this pack will be going directly into the field without any pre-testing. Post up whatever questions you have and I'll get them answered when I get back at the end of next week.

***Updated 2/10/20*** Read my complete review here: Exo K3 4800 Pack Review

Until then you can enjoy this intro video from Steve

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Justin is this your first exo? If so I'd be interested in what you think of the frames ability for rotational movement. Seems like exo is the only one offering this feature.
The frame extension is also very interesting design. I'd like to know how easy the swap over was and if you nailed your torso adjustment the first time, got close and rolled with it or adjusted it multiple times.

How many days are you going for and is this a backpack hunt? Just as baseline info thanks and good luck on your hunt.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin is this your first exo? If so I'd be interested in what you think of the frames ability for rotational movement. Seems like exo is the only one offering this feature.
The frame extension is also very interesting design. I'd like to know how easy the swap over was and if you nailed your torso adjustment the first time, got close and rolled with it or adjusted it multiple times.

How many days are you going for and is this a backpack hunt? Just as baseline info thanks and good luck on your hunt.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
This is my second Exo review. The last one was the K2 which performed very well.

This hunt will be a drop camp with horses for about 11 miles to base camp. We'll be hunting on foot up to about 8 miles from camp and will have spike camp gear with us if needed.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

I prefer the thinner, firmer, stickier lumbar pad on my SG x-curve to my previous K2. I found the k2 very comfortable but under a heavy load the pad seemed a little too soft and overwhelmed.

I'm curious how the pad on the k3 is compared to the K2 under heavy loads.

Been using my K3 4800 compressed as a day back for the past weeks and couldn’t be happier. I was originally planning on buying the new 2000ish bag, but the 4800 compresses so well, there is no need. Pack is really comfy. Hiked 30 miles in the first 3 days of season with about 15-20 lbs and have zero complaints.

Also- new features and are a great improvement from the K2. Seriously have zero complaints so far and that comes from someone who has gotten a new pack every year for the last 10 years. Haha

I just spent 5 days in British Columbias rocky mountains on an elk hunt. I used my new K3 4800 as a daypacked and spent 7-10hrs a day on the mountain. The k3 didnt feel much different than my old k2 5500. It DID seem to stay on my hips better. My k2 belt would slowly lose its tention adjustment. My k3 belt stayed adjusted where I set it. I had about 30lbs of gear in it daily. The new features are nice over the k2 but not game changers, just improvements over an already great pack. Although I never got an elk I did manage to knock a woof down and tossed the hide/head in the load sling!

md126

WKR
Any updates from your hunt Justin? How’d it go and what are your thoughts on the K3? Thanks

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Any updates from your hunt Justin? How’d it go and what are your thoughts on the K3? Thanks

Spike Camp

The trip was awesome. The bear hunting not so much. We took horses into my best bear spot and set up a small base camp. Then we spent five days hiking and spiking out and only ended up seeing two bears. Both were a long ways away and when we got closer we couldn't find them again.

The pack performed very well with my gear in it and a heavy rifle strapped to the outside. I really like the hip belt and the ability to customize the length for a perfect fit. There is a lot of organization built into the bag and I feel it compresses as well or better than any I have ever used. The rifle carrier works well even with a 12-pound rifle. I wish the compression straps had auto-lock buckles so they would loosen up. It's not a problem all the time but it can be depending on the angle the strap is at. For instance, the upper strap over the rifle would loosen sometimes. I would also like to see a water bottle pocket option added for the hip belt.

md126

WKR
Thanks Justin, great review. How do you think it carries weight compared to the K2?

Glad I found this thread. I’m looking for my first pack and while I was conversing the K2 3500 I think this may be a good consideration at well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was really hoping to try out the new 6400 this year, but not sure that is going to work out. :( I'm really curious as to your thoughts on K2 vs. K3, from overall design, to fit, finish, the works....

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Justin, great review. How do you think it carries weight compared to the K2?
I haven't had a chance to put a lot of weight in it yet but I expect it will work as well or better based on what I've seen and hauling about 30 lbs in it.

I was really hoping to try out the new 6400 this year, but not sure that is going to work out. :( I'm really curious as to your thoughts on K2 vs. K3, from overall design, to fit, finish, the works....

The K2 was a great pack design in my opinion and I didn't have much to complain about when I reviewed it a couple years ago. Exo K2 Review

The new frame has the ability to extend which is an awesome feature for guys who don't want a tall frame catching on brush but need it for heavy pack outs. The waste belt is the most customizable I have used due to the velcro attachment that allows you to extend it by one inch per side. I also like the material on the inside of the belt better than the K2. I like the old weapon carrier better than the new rifle carrier since I thought it was easier to get the butt of the rifle in and out of. The water bladder pocket is really cool if you're a bladder guy. I tested it on my trip for the review even though I don't normally use one. It was easy to get the bladder in and out after loosening up the bag since the pocket is sepperated from the main bag. I really liked the way the lid attached and the dual pockets were great for extra organization.

As I'm typing all this I think I need to do a video to show all the features. I'll try to get something done by this weekend if possible.

I haven't had a chance to put a lot of weight in it yet but I expect it will work as well or better based on what I've seen and hauling about 30 lbs in it.

The K2 was a great pack design in my opinion and I didn't have much to complain about when I reviewed it a couple years ago. Exo K2 Review

The new frame has the ability to extend which is an awesome feature for guys who don't want a tall frame catching on brush but need it for heavy pack outs. The waste belt is the most customizable I have used due to the velcro attachment that allows you to extend it by one inch per side. I also like the material on the inside of the belt better than the K2. I like the old weapon carrier better than the new rifle carrier since I thought it was easier to get the butt of the rifle in and out of. The water bladder pocket is really cool if you're a bladder guy. I tested it on my trip for the review even though I don't normally use one. It was easy to get the bladder in and out after loosening up the bag since the pocket is sepperated from the main bag. I really liked the way the lid attached and the dual pockets were great for extra organization.

As I'm typing all this I think I need to do a video to show all the features. I'll try to get something done by this weekend if possible.

That wood be nice. A good review but someone other than the company. They are typically too short and just breeze over the product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They say the 4800 is 5200 with lid. Do you think the 4800 is big enough for a 7 day hunt? I'm thinking the 6400 is probably better suited for a 7 day hunt.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
They say the 4800 is 5200 with lid. Do you think the 4800 is big enough for a 7 day hunt? I'm thinking the 6400 is probably better suited for a 7 day hunt.
IMHO, I would definitely go with the larger size... I've done 7 day + trips with the old 5500 and really wished I had a larger bag. (But my experience is based on the K2 version). I just personally always go bigger when in doubt.